Madasafish Questions/answers (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• geranium72
    geranium72 Posts: 463 Forumite
    Options
    interesting scotlad as I have had a similar email with a cancellation charge - have emailed and queried so will let you know what the outcome is
    Back to comping! July wins: Frylight August wins: Pixar DVD, Diesel Watch,£75 hamper brioche products September wins bath soak

Thanks to everyone who posts comps and help :beer:
  • Froglet
    Froglet Posts: 2,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is anyone having problems with losing connection ,sometimes very frequently? yesterday was dreadful.They used to be such a good company but since BT took over it has gone downhill.
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    edited 5 August 2009 at 2:16PM
    Options
    When this happened to me we eventually proved it was the BT router that was causing the problem.
    Raise a ticket and be prepared to beg borrow or steal an alternative router to prove the situation.
    It is a bit of as long drawn out process testing one step at a time over the internet and eventually getting back to where you were in the good old says of Samara. Partly because we all have lives to lead and cannot spend all day checking to a ticket reply.
    Having access from your next door neighbour's place could save a trip to the library if you lose connection completely.

I'm now running problem free on a second hand Netgear router.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=21759071&highlight=#post21759071
  • Froglet
    Options
    Thanks.We did change the router,when i took out another years contract they supplied a plusnet thomson one.We installed that and for 2 weeks it was much better.But now it doesn't matter which one i use,upstairs or down.Yesterday all day was dreadful but last night it was fine.Today is better but there are still moments where it loses connection.

Our computer friend who built this computer did loads of checks,replacing microfilters etc,but it seems as if madasafish now comes and gos at will.

Frustrating isn't the word.
  • geranium72
    geranium72 Posts: 463 Forumite
    Options
    geranium72 wrote: »
    interesting scotlad as I have had a similar email with a cancellation charge - have emailed and queried so will let you know what the outcome is

Just to update - I queried their email - just like scotlad - here is the result

The Question 29587907 has been released from hold and sent back to CSC - Billing

Please confirm what the 14.65 cancellation fee is - there is no cancellation charge out of contract when I am transferring to a new supplier as per my terns and conditions

In addition - you will see that my initial MAC request and cancellation request was the 20 July. I did not withdraw that - you simply gave other offers. Therefore, I gave you notice on the 20 July not the 4th August.

Please review and respond

Dear ,
    I can confirm that you shall not be liable for this charge of £14.65. As you have explained you shall only be liable for 5 days pro rata of £2.44.

INTERNAL
    Please charge customer a final fee of £2.44 only as the fional charge and monitor for the migration.

It does seem to me that they are sticking these "cancellation fees on" and backtracking as soon as it is challenged - a real shame as I have always thought they were pretty good until now. Anyone else - do check carefully! £2.44 is rather different to the £24 something they were trying to charge!
    Back to comping! July wins: Frylight August wins: Pixar DVD, Diesel Watch,£75 hamper brioche products September wins bath soak

Thanks to everyone who posts comps and help :beer:
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    edited 7 August 2009 at 4:09AM
    Options
    Froglet wrote: »
    Thanks.We did change the router,when i took out another years contract they supplied a plusnet thomson one.We installed that and for 2 weeks it was much better.But now it doesn't matter which one i use,upstairs or down.Yesterday all day was dreadful but last night it was fine.Today is better but there are still moments where it loses connection.

Our computer friend who built this computer did loads of checks,replacing microfilters etc,but it seems as if madasafish now comes and goes at will.

Frustrating isn't the word.

Have you graduated from shouting at the screen to kicking the dog yet?

So it is probably not the router ! (I am assuming that you have cut down your home network to running off the test socket inside the master BT owned face plate, so the only things plugged into the BT circuit are filter, router, & one land line 'phone.? Then you have tried different filters in case one of the filters has got "dodgy"?) Running off the master's test socket really annoyed Mrs Hound, every time she got a phone call she had to talk to the caller standing up:D.

Have you noticed that the drop outs vary by time of day. My drop outs were always less between 22:00 and 11:00 the next day. So I had convinced myself that it was something to do with overload at MAAF, but presumably it wasn't!!

The the support staff at MAAF monitored my line to produce a multi coloured "snake" type graph of the "noise" on my line.
    It could be that something between you and your exchange is causing intermittent problems on your line. (Some joker with a shot gun managed to shoot down my wire at one stage). Up in my loft there is "more darning than sock" on the BT line. It has been like that for at least 35 years; but once we had proved that it was the router that had gone on the blink, my speed was allowed to climbed back to its usual 4MB.
    [For the moment my plans to ditch MAAF for another provider are on hold - "better the devil............"]
    Well sometime in the next 91 years BT might upgrade my exchange and line to their new 21 Century Network standard; I'm not holding my breath.
  • Froglet
    Options
    I haven't got a dog,luckily for the dog! but more like swearing at the computer is accurate.Having a right nightmare again today.The evenings seem to be best.yes it is running off the master socket.I have noticed when i get problems that the line on my phone crackles,when things are ok it doesn't.So i just don't see it being the router,in fact the xp tests keep saying it is not the router.

Thanks for the advice Harry.I just live in hope that things improve,they have before but it is not knowing when you are suddenly going to lose connection,is the worst.
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have noticed when i get problems that the line on my phone crackles,when things are ok it doesn't.So i just don't see it being the router,in fact the xp tests keep saying it is not the router.

You should not hear any crackling on the line. Noise on the line will cause problems with your broadband and should be reported to who ever you pay your line rental to e.g. BT. Next time you can hear crackling report it and they should hear it.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • Froglet
    Options
    I pay line rental to madasafish.But they in turn pay BT,don't they?

So who do i contact?
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I pay line rental to madasafish.But they in turn pay BT,don't they?

So who do i contact?

MAAF are owned by BT but that is also irrelevant.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure