PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Food to take on holiday in a caravan?

Comments

• Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Assuming you are getting there by car not public transport (so can carry a couple of boxes of grub) I'd be tempted to get half a dozen tins of meaty stuff (mince & onions, meatballs, curry, Irish stew etc.), half a dozen tins of veg, and a few tins of new potatoes and/or a big tin of Smash.

Heat up one tin from each section in the same saucepan - minimal washing up. Do the Smash separately of course!
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• Pennylane
    Pennylane Posts: 2,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I think you may have a pleasant surprise when you see your static caravan.:j I've stayed in a couple in the last few years and visited friends staying in others & they have all had full size cookers/microwaves/fridges etc. Just like being at home really.

We used to camp a lot when the kids were young and on occasions I'd have up to 5 kids plus us. All we had was a very basic camping cooker with a weeny grill underneath but we managed.

The kids used to be starving all the time with all the fresh air and I have no time for fussy eaters, so they'd ask what was for tea and I'd say "Campers Delight" or "Canvas Concoction" (and equally daft names) but they'd fall for it every time & eat stuff that they didn't really care for.;)
  • HoneyB17
    HoneyB17 Posts: 96 Forumite
    Any suggestions please. OH is walking the west highand way starting Sat. As the children are off school Mon and Tues we thought we could go down and stay Sat to Tues:T. Don't have the money to eat out so please any recommendations of stuff I should take with me food wise(I'm assuming the shop onsite will charge a fortune:eek:). There will be myself, OH, DS (14) and DD (7). Also will be MIL and FIL and BIL but I'm not feeding them as well as my lot...lol. Thought I might take the slow cooker and use that while we're out for the day??
    Many thanks
    HoneyB
  • Do you have a microwave and fridge in the caravan?
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Slow cooker would be a great asset you could make a Chilli or Curry and served it with rice and salad.
    You could also cook your Sunday joint in it and have roast potatoes and veg with it.
    Spicy Meatballs served with spaghetti is a wholesome dish (meatballs on offer in Tesco)

Don't forget lots of eggs - great for breakfast and ideal on toast for supper or a snack.
  • HoneyB17
    Yes we have both fridge and micro I believe
    Eggs are a great suggestion and def going to take the roast and mince for spag bol or chilli. Am going to have to plan tonight what we're eating then take what I can from the cupboards and buy the rest before we go
    HoneyB
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi Honey

Sounds great, i love caravan holidays :D Loads of threads with ideas to help you as well. One great tip I read on here is making a batch up of spag bol etc and freezing, and using as a cooler for the other food in a cool box. Then dinner, once it defrosts!:j

Obviously you don't want to be tied to the cooker the whole time, so do try and make things as easy for yourself as you possibly can :) SC sounds good as long as you would use it enough to justify bringing it if that makes sense :)

food to take on holiday in a caravan

Caravan camping and holiday cookery

weekend in a caravan, what to take?

I think organisation is key - and taking simple things like washing up liquid,toilet roll, teabags etc will all save you a fortune :j You're right, the onsite shops cost a fortune.

I would make sure to schedule in at least one meal of fish and chips though ;)

I'll add your thread to the first link later

thanks
    Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• HoneyB17
    edited 27 April 2010 at 4:23PM
    thanks so much for the lniks Zippy. Going to read them after I've taken DD to gymnastics and dinner is done. Going to start my list tonight so the links will be so helpful
    HoneyB
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 April 2010 at 6:57PM
    Try this ...

THREE TIN BEEF STEW

Cheap, quick and easy, and also delicious, warming and filling. Useful as an emergency meal, especially if you have no water supply, as it uses the water in the tins. Also useful for camping or caravanning. Not recommended for backpacking, though.

Makes 4 x 250ml bowls

INGREDIENTS

1 tin of stewed steak in gravy
    1 tin of new potatoes in water
    1 tin of garden peas or sliced carrots in water
    Ground pepper to taste

METHOD

Open the tin of steak. Put the steak and gravy into a saucepan.

Open the tin of potatoes. Drain the water into the saucepan. Cut the potatoes into 2cm (1 inch) pieces. Add the potatoes to the saucepan.

Open the tin of peas or carrots. Add the peas or carrots and the water to the saucepan.

Stir thoroughly.

Put the saucepan on a medium heat. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat until it is just boiling (simmering). Put the lid on the saucepan and continue to cook for 5 minutes until the potatoes are cooked.

Season with the pepper.

ADDITIONS & ALTERATIONS

Use both a tin of garden peas and a tin of sliced carrots.

Add a beef stock cube.

Add a teaspoon of dried parsley.

TIPS

If any of the potatoes are damaged, mash them up and add them to the saucepan. They will help to thicken the stew.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Porridge is good. You can use it for breakfast and for thickening whatever you make in the slowcooker...and lentils.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure