PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Food to take on holiday in a caravan?

Comments

• adibranch
    adibranch Posts: 28 Forumite
    We were off on a short caravan holiday recently.. didnt want to mess about with cooking too much, and also we were going to do a bit of sightseeing/walking, so we tried out some of these (cant post link, but hotboxfood.co.uk )

Teh verdict is still out as we only tried two meals..tasty enough though ! and you can take them anywhere..
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 May 2009 at 11:39PM
    This seems like a good home for this one ...

THREE TIN STEW

Quick, easy and useful for camping or caravanning.

Serves 2 – 3

INGREDIENTS

1 tin of stewed steak in gravy
    1 tin of new potatoes in water
    1 tin of sliced carrots in water
    Ground pepper to taste

METHOD

Open the tins. Do not throw any of the water away. Strain the water from the potatoes through a sieve or colander into a saucepan. Cut the potatoes into halves or quarters depending on size.

Put the steak, potatoes, carrots and the water from the carrots into the saucepan on a medium heat. Stir thoroughly. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat until it is just boiling (simmering). Continue to cook for 5 minutes until all of the ingredients are thoroughly cooked.

Season with the pepper.

ADDITIONS & ALTERATIONS

Add a beef stock cube. Add a teaspoon of dried parsley.

TIPS

If any of the potatoes are damaged, mash them up and add them to the stew. They will help to thicken the gravy.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • dreemgirl
    dreemgirl Posts: 290 Forumite
    Pasta, can put anthing in it!! Chicken, mushrooms,onion,cheese all easy stuff and quick to cook in a caravan!! Not much washing up either - as no dishwashers in caravans! lol
  • mgardner
    mgardner Posts: 388 Forumite
    This seems like a good home for this one ...

THREE TIN STEW

Quick, easy and useful for camping or caravanning.

Serves 2 – 3

INGREDIENTS

1 tin of stewed steak in gravy
    1 tin of new potatoes in water
    1 tin of sliced carrots in water
    Ground pepper to taste

METHOD

Open the tins. Do not throw any of the water away. Strain the water from the potatoes through a sieve or colander into a saucepan. Cut the potatoes into halves or quarters depending on size.

Put the steak, potatoes, carrots and the water from the carrots into the saucepan on a medium heat. Stir thoroughly. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat until it is just boiling (simmering). Continue to cook for 5 minutes until all of the ingredients are thoroughly cooked.

Season with the pepper.

ADDITIONS & ALTERATIONS

Add a beef stock cube. Add a teaspoon of dried parsley.

TIPS

If any of the potatoes are damaged, mash them up and add them to the stew. They will help to thicken the gravy.

Love this takes me back to when I used to go camping with my kids, about 40 years ago. Also cubed cornbeef and tinned potatoes cooked in the frying pan great with brown sauce. I also used to go to the market the day before we went and buy apples bannas and oranges to take.
    Sealed pot challenge 543
  • frugallass
    frugallass Posts: 2,320 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hiya

the two of us are spending a week in a static caravan, we're going to be quite isolated although I know we can buy bread (for me) and milk locally.

I'm trying to think of easy meals that I can make, bearing in mind that cooking facilities will be limited - I was thinking about meals that I can do in one or two pans rather than using the oven.

No wheat products allowed for hubby - he does eat the gluten free pasta.

I'm not a very adventurous cook and my brain is struggling for inspiration

We go this weekend so I haven't got time (or the energy) to start making stuff in advance, it all needs to be made 'on site' so to speak

thanks in advance
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Cheese/potato pie. Boil spuds, mash, add grated cheese. Serve.
    OK it's not browned like in the oven/under a grill, but tastes as good.

Spanish omelette. Fry sliced onions, slices of par-boiled spuds, random veggies you have, mixed herbs ... and then beat 3-4 eggs (with or without cheese) over the top. Cook on medium heat until it's set on the bottom, then flip it over (plate over the pan, turn upside down, slide it back into the pan). Also great cold.

Stew/dumplings.

Chilli/rice.

Curry/rice.

Good old fashioned fried breakfast.

Risotto.

Any soups.
  • katie_jane_2
    katie_jane_2 Posts: 209 Forumite
    hi there , we holiday in a static although not isolated i try to do us an evening meal every day after a day out adventuring with the kids. so cereal or toast in the morning lunch out and dinner depends on the weather, last year there was lots of cold meats and salads steak and jacket spuds (could be done in a microwave if you dont want to use the oven) again with salad , pasta and sauces some great easy cheap recipes on here.If the weather is torrential i would start a stew (in the slow cooker i take with me) in the morning then after a day out its a meal all ready done .other faves include mexican fahitas (really quick) not sure if wheat free tortillas are available chilli with rice or sauage casserole. fry up although not particularly healthy would epend on how it was prepared i guess
    happy holiday hope this helped x
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi frugalass,

These threads should give you some more ideas:

Food to take on holiday in a caravan?

Caravan, camping and holiday cookery

I'll add your thread to the first link later to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • skiTTish
    skiTTish Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Dont get bogged down by the idea that cooking will be limited ,I cook the same in the van as I do at home ,no reason not to as i rarely use more than 2 rings anyway ,just make sure you take your steamer with you :)
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Take your sandwich toaster with you too
    and your george forman - easier to clean than a cooker and grill pan.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport