PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Food to take on holiday in a caravan?

Comments

• frugallass
    frugallass Posts: 2,320 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    McKneff wrote: »
    Take your sandwich toaster with you too
    and your george forman - easier to clean than a cooker and grill pan.

I don't have either :o
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Sandwich toasters are about a tenner in ASDA and are worth their weight in gold.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • frugallass
    Combo Breaker First Post
    skiTTish wrote: »
    Dont get bogged down by the idea that cooking will be limited ,I cook the same in the van as I do at home ,no reason not to as i rarely use more than 2 rings anyway ,just make sure you take your steamer with you :)

I'm just aware that there won't be as much space or equipment that I have at home - have never been to this place before so I don't know how well equipped it will be.

Plus we will be doing a lot of hill walking and climbing so I don't really want to spend a lot of my 'rest' time cooking - I just want to chuck something in a pan and let it cook lol !
  • frugallass
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Sandwich toasters are about a tenner in ASDA and are worth their weight in gold.

we don't eat much bread to be honest (because of his wheat intolerance)
  • picklepick
    picklepick Posts: 4,048 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    i know its not very ols style but i love boil in the bag cod with butter sauce. i have it with mash and peas! its easy to do, just bung in the saucepan and leave to cook.

the the usuals... spag bol, chilli, sausage and mash, stirfry,

we went to a caravan in june and the cooker was better than the one i have at home... felt really spoiled! haha it was huuuge... had 5 gas hobs and 2 massive ovens. it even had a microwave
    What matters most is how well you walk through the fire
  • skiTTish
    skiTTish Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    frugallass wrote: »
    I'm just aware that there won't be as much space or equipment that I have at home - have never been to this place before so I don't know how well equipped it will be.

Plus we will be doing a lot of hill walking and climbing so I don't really want to spend a lot of my 'rest' time cooking - I just want to chuck something in a pan and let it cook lol !

In that case then ,take your slow cooker ;)
    Ours proved very valuable on a recent climbing holiday to Snowdownia.
    Shove it on in the morn ,go climbing ,come back to only having to cook some rice/pasta/spuds as an accompaniment
    Simples :)
  • frugallass
    Combo Breaker First Post
    skiTTish wrote: »
    In that case then ,take your slow cooker ;)
    Ours proved very valuable on a recent climbing holiday to Snowdownia.
    Shove it on in the morn ,go climbing ,come back to only having to cook some rice/pasta/spuds as an accompaniment
    Simples :)

OMG - I don't have one of those either

I feel terrible !!!
  • skiTTish
    skiTTish Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Think they are only £9 at Argos at the mo ........ ;)
  • And don't forget the baked beans! I'm sure you don't usually use tinned veg but it's only a week. Could you make a shepherd's pie and a curry to take?
    Hope the weather picks up and is more settled!

Kentishmaid
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    To be honest, I've tried these over the years and I get a MUCH better result using just a frying pan.

Simply get a good quality non-stick frying pan and chuck in two pieces of bread.. Toast one side of the bread by moving them around the pan. Whip them out quick when one side's toasted, then make up your toasted sandwich (with the toasted sides on the inside), chuck the completed sandwich back in the frying pan to toast again ... keep it on the move. Flip it... keep it on the move.

I find these give me THE best toasted cheese sandwiches EVER.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure