PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Food to take on holiday in a caravan?

Comments

• hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    I used to take long life milk, as you only need to put a litre in the fridge, the rest can stay in the cupboard. It doesn't taste horrible these days either.
    I also used to make a stew using tins. Tinnes stewing steak, potatoes, tomatoes a,d any other canned veg I had. My lot were usually starving at the end of the day, and this filled them up!
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• Make sure you have the number of the local takeaway (local to your caravan that is!), order the food for your arrival and you don't have to worry about day one! Slow cooker and cooked breakfasts, you can't go wrong! x
  • One thing that I always forget on a self catering holiday is a small bottle of oil otherwise you end up buying a large one that you cannot take home. I have found a sample bottle of olive oil in the past and keep that now that it is empty and decant enough for a week into it. Works like a charm, you just have to remember to take it with you!
  • poshstock66
    poshstock66 Posts: 813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi all, some fab idea's on here!! I'm also off on the 25th for 4 night's and find that i need washing up liquid, toilet roll, oil, butter, bread, tea bags, milk and sauces. oh, and vinegar for the chips. I also take ingredients for a weeks cooked brekkies, sometimes we have that for tea instead of brekkie and have toast for brekkie.
    Best to take what you can, or have room for, and then pick up the rest when you arrive. Fortunately, we are going back to shanklin and we know where all the big shop's are and only need to use the site shop for emergancies (ie chocolate or sweets or icecreams!).
    Will be taking a jelly and tinned fruit and angel delight, as somebody else suggested and enough tinned veg and meat for a stew.
    Hope that you have a good break anyway, i certaintly hope the sun shines on you (and me!!).
    :money::money::money::money:
    I love to save money
  • Take packets of cous cous. You can use it hot or cold. Its great with salad, BBQ and you only have to boil the kettle to make it. Lemon and corriander flavour is my favourite.
  • pancakes!

I use nigella recipe here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/homemadeinstantpanca_87271.shtml - you make up the dry ingredients and take that with you and then you can just add the milk, marg and egg when you want them.

We have them for breakfast so i just take sugar and lemon juice with me.

I have done them at home, in a caraven and camping too!
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    We have pancakes quite often as a weekend breakfast/brunch. So easy and so cheap too. Cant believe we used to have them once a year on pancake day!
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • Clubz
    Clubz Posts: 5 Forumite
    I think there have been some fabulous suggestions. One that I would make is take Pasta,a jar of Pesto and some wafer thin Ham,cook pasta ,cut ham into strips and mix away with the pesto.....if you can stop yourself eating the lot in one go then you'll have some for lunch the following day.:j
  • as an early teen, i used to go away in the tourer with my parents most weekends.
    We tended to have something with tinned mince on the friday night - just heat up with added tinned veg (mixed, peas or sweetcorn) & another tin of potatoes or boil in the bag rice - quick & easy after setting up.
    Saturday night would usually be something bbq'd (dad on duty), with salad & possibly more of those tinned spuds, with mayo & spring onion making a potato salad.
    Sundays tended to be going home day, but usually in the afternoon, so we had time for a roast chicken, more tinned veg, but possibly roast spuds!.
    I've caravanned as an adult since & we still tend to go for the easy stuff, as most posters have said, 'who wants to cook on holiday?'. We do eat out a couple of evenings, but for those we eat-in, we'd go for chilli or similar, burgers or chops, tuna & sweetcorn with jacket spuds & salad & maybe a ready meal - cooking your own really helps to keep a cap on the budget.
    We do have a good breakfast though, to see us through the day so we only need something light at lunchtime or tea & cake in the afternoon. We have been known to buy scones etc. to have when we get back from an afternoon out.
    Enough aboout food - time for dinner......

Enjoy the break, you deserve it.:beer:
  • My suggestion would be to look on the web for some local food producers such as farms, in the area you are to visit, pick up the food daily, then you will be supporting the local economy, and in most cases eating something seasonal very fresh & healthy, it will give you something extra and interesting to do on your break and maybe broaden your horizons.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure