We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Capital One Ripping me off!!

Options

Comments

• gianni_uk
    Options
    seriously, the lady said there was a £3 charge for this. Will be taken with my next dd. Why are there so many negative people on here?! Why would i lie about this? Because iv never been through this before with my previous loans or other credit, i dont know what to expect. If you are saying they cannot charge me, then I shall go back and question this. I would have thought a company can charge what ever they want to do this. I know that some companies dont let you move direct debit dates, like Orange for example, they wont let me move my dd with them.
  • bigbum_2
    bigbum_2 Posts: 866 Forumite
    Options
    chuckley wrote: »
    when i opened up mine on the phone when activating he told me the d/d will come out between 11th and 16th of each month.

mine is due on 13th each month.

im guessin this is standard on the 'credit building' card?!

Same here, i was advised the dd will be taken out anytime between 3rd-8th of each month. The due date is 5th of each month.

Hadn't realised dd collection days could be so flexible.
  • angelicmary85
    angelicmary85 Posts: 4,977 Forumite
    Options
    exel1966 wrote: »
    Seriously, you need to think up a better story as you cannot be charged for moving your DD forward !

I think you can..

Barclays tried to make me pay £25 for changing the date of a DD. They tried to call it 'a reasonable admin charge'...I left the DD as it was!!
    Started PADdin' 13/04/09 paid £7486.66 - CC free 02/11/10
    Aim for 2011 - pay off car loan £260.00 saved
    Nerd No. 1173! :j
    Made by God...Improved by the The Devil :D
  • Andy_Ches
    Andy_Ches Posts: 420 Forumite
    Options
    catgil wrote: »
    Why are you having a go at this poster and what gives you the right. In the real world there are loads of people who haven't got £9 before payday. I thought these forums were a place for friendly advice. It's people like you that put people off coming here and posting. Go away and get a life. :mad::mad::mad:

I noticed this on another post, replies being sarcastic/dissmissive about a newbie, it's not on. Everyone is here to help.

Whole point is to join the forum to gain knowledge and experience not make people feel inadequate on the first post.
  • dankosheemo
    dankosheemo Posts: 1,243 Forumite
    Options
    gianni_uk wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Got to have a winge here.

Just got off the phone to capital one, and i really am annoyed.

I have a balance of £180, on a £2500 limit card, my direct debit of £9 was due, and as you know, they take the direct debit 'on or around' x date. Well, this was the first time ever that my direct debit bounced as they tried to take the £9 2 days before I get paid. Now, this was 2 weeks ago, at this point I havnt had my bank statement or capital one statement. Then today, i get both statements, showing that indeed the £9 has bounced.

I explain to the lady quite politley that i didnt have my statement untill today and as the direct debit is only £9 i didnt know it had bounced. She then went to explain.......this £9 bounce had actually cost me £41! this is the original £9, plus 3 charges of £12, 1 for a missed payment, and 2 for late payments! I explained that I had no letters from them in 2 weeks or phone calls to advise that the payment had bounced, and that i appreciate its not their fault and said i would of course pay the £9 now plus 1 late payment fee, also explained that they tried for the direct debit 2 days early, only to be told 'its your responsibility to ensure funds are there' to which i agreed but explain that my agreed dd date was 1 day after my payday to allow for this, but she wouldnt have it. So i then advised as its my first 'late' payment, could I not be let off? Again, no, its all my fault apparently. After being refused to be put through to a manager, was tehn advised that unless i make the payment of £42 now, there will be further interest etc and a default added! a default!! I couldnt beleive wat i was hearing, especially given the poxy amount the dd was for in the first place.....

Rant over!
    :hello: Hey gianni,

Just been having a read through the posts - some of you are being way out of line and utter barstools, give the guy a break, he's here for help like you lot probably were once upon a time :mad: I'm going to bite my tongue at that.

I've recently had the same thing happen to me with Barclaycard. Like you, I have my DDs set up to come out just after pay day but to my horror last month, upon checking my statement when it dropped on the doormat, my DD was due to come out BEFORE pay day! :eek: No prior warning! I rang them pretty much straight away and made a huge fuss as I'd never been informed about the changes to my DD date or the 'flexibility' of the these dates even when I set up my card.

The lady was really helpful though and we got it sorted as I spoke to my bank to make sure there that my OD would be OK to dip into for a couple of days until pay day rolled round again :) I'm always living close to the edge of no mooney and checking dates and juggling cash around now but been OK so far *touch wood* :D We're all different with finances.

Come pop by the Payment a Day 3 thread. We're much friendlier than some of these twerps! :rotfl: Bigbum, Chuckley and Angelicmary will vouch for that I'm sure! :D

Best of luck!
    :j (2013) :j
    * Virgin Atlantic [STRIKE]£2,837.01[/STRIKE] £2,835* B'card [STRIKE]£851.51[/STRIKE] £850 * Egg [strike]£5,608.83[/strike] £5,608.83 * Mint [STRIKE]£816.13[/STRIKE] £770 *
  • exel1966
    exel1966 Posts: 4,978 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 April 2009 at 5:48PM
    Options
    I think you can..

Barclays tried to make me pay £25 for changing the date of a DD. They tried to call it 'a reasonable admin charge'...I left the DD as it was!!

No such term exists within any Barclaycard agreement so they cannot do it.

Barclays, (and other finance/loan companies) however do charge a fee of £25 for changing the payment date after 1 change has already been made. This applies to loans and finance only.
  • sparky7
    sparky7 Posts: 178 Forumite
    Options
    I got told that if a direct debit request date lands on a weekend/bank holiday then the payment is taken the next working day.. unless it is for a credit card where it is taken the previous day.
  • mintymoneysaver
    Options
    I agree that the ' ripped me off' phrase is really annoying, but some people have been so rude on here. The OP made a mistake, so

...and you should also look after your finances so you can pay the poxy amount of £9.

Congratulations on idiot thread of the month.

is not needed or kind. what happened to ' Be nice to all moneysavers?'
  • exel1966
    exel1966 Posts: 4,978 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 April 2009 at 6:14PM
    Options
    sparky7 wrote: »
    I got told that if a direct debit request date lands on a weekend/bank holiday then the payment is taken the next working day.. unless it is for a credit card where it is taken the previous day.

Sometimes yes, but not always, some will collect the business day before, JLPC as an example, most will collect after.
    All cards operate very differently in this respect and it will CLEARLY say on the statement what the agreed policy is.
  • lemma1968
    lemma1968 Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Options
    I am shocked by some of the responses on this thread. Everyone knows which ones i mean because they go against the whole ethos of this site. Unless you are prepared to be helpful and non judgmental (which is what Martin wanted this site to be) then don't bother commenting at all.

I do not understand why those who have money in the bank have to be so cruel to those on the site who have found themselves in debt. It does not mean to say that a debtor is a bad person, or deserves "idiot of the month" title. Shame on you!:huh:
    2013 TARGET £30k
    2012 £26500 paid off.
    2011 £22750 paid off
    2010 £19800 paid off
    2009 MBNA Cleared 25.09.09 £34391.33 PAID OFF
    DFW Nerd 612 Proud to be dealing with my debts
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing