IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

WARNING Avoid Changegate Car Park, Haworth. Notorious for Clamping

Options
This is a warning about the UK's most notorious car park, run by Car Stoppers in Haworth, W. Yorkshire.

The company has a well documented reputation for clamping for a wide range of trivial and ridiculous reasons and charging disproportionately excessive fines. Their agressive working methods are widely reported by the local media. After clamping Betty Boothroyd, last October (for displaying her ticket the wrong way round), their activities are currently being discussed by MP's.

After falling foul of their clamping methods last week, my mum and I staged a day's protest on Bank Holiday Monday, leafleting unsuspecting car park users to warn them about the risks. We received a huge amount of gratitude and support from local residents and traders as well as car park users, many of whom decided to park elsewhere.

So, if you are planning to visit Haworth, I would suggest you give this car park a wide berth and head for one of several council owned car parks in the town.

Thanks, Zany

Comments

• Spudleeds
    Options
    i was clamped 2 weeks ago for displaying my ticket on the dashboard as opposed to sticking it in the window, they said once the clamp had been issued i had to pay £78 then appeal for it back (which i just know i will never get) as i have sent 3 letters to 3 different addresses all recorded which non were signed for and there is no contact number. did this matter get any further, complaing is not an option as they have been robbing people for years, THEY NEED CLOSING DOWN!
    zany1977 wrote: »
    This is a warning about the UK's most notorious car park, run by Car Stoppers in Haworth, W. Yorkshire.

The company has a well documented reputation for clamping for a wide range of trivial and ridiculous reasons and charging disproportionately excessive fines. Their agressive working methods are widely reported by the local media. After clamping Betty Boothroyd, last October (for displaying her ticket the wrong way round), their activities are currently being discussed by MP's.

After falling foul of their clamping methods last week, my mum and I staged a day's protest on Bank Holiday Monday, leafleting unsuspecting car park users to warn them about the risks. We received a huge amount of gratitude and support from local residents and traders as well as car park users, many of whom decided to park elsewhere.

So, if you are planning to visit Haworth, I would suggest you give this car park a wide berth and head for one of several council owned car parks in the town.

Thanks, Zany
  • hillbilly1_2
    Options
    Wish I had read this thread earlier, I just parked in that car park and some kind person gave us a ticket with 8 hours left on it but because it says not transferable on it we got clamped and had to pay £78 to be released. We had our 3 year old with us too, luckily I had my credit card on me so lord knows what would have happened if we hadnt. A very expensive day out, I dont know how they sleep at night, surely a ticket is a ticket we were only taking up the same space as the car that left, it is ridiculous.
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    zany1977 wrote: »
    So, if you are planning to visit Haworth, I would suggest you give this car park a wide berth...

or take bolt cutters with you. That would be more fun, wouldn't it?
  • enraged
    Options
    sarahg1969 wrote: »
    or take bolt cutters with you. That would be more fun, wouldn't it?
    I had a run-in with a burly man yesterday as he tried to clamp my car even though I was there . I am a small , 56 year old woman but sheer anger enabled me to prevent him from putting his contraption on my car - hopefully our arguement meant that other drivers got away !!! and he lost more money than just my £75 .
  • lil_elvis2000
    Options
    I went with my family and had a lovely day out, ruined by the crazy man which own this car park. I got a ticket from somebody who was leaving and for that I had to pay £75 cash. The owner - a Mr. Farnell - appears to be a demented and frumpy old man, who believe that we comitted "fraud" and "deception". I paid my money but know that I will not get it back. The owner is unprofessional and spends all day checking the vehicles - every 10 minutes as I can tell. People I spoke to in the area wish he was gone. Frankly this car park needs to be shut down.

We need to get word out about this car park..perhaps put up signs in the area warning or directing people. As well as on as many websites/twitter as possible so this shows up on Google.

The best way to close him down is to take away the custom.
  • Driver8
    Driver8 Posts: 743 Forumite
    Options
    Here is a programme of the scumbags who do it. It's the full programme and you will feel like putting your boot through the TV when you watch it. I hope i see that Rolls sometime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8ETVnDkO2s

Pure scum of the earth they are.
  • RichyRich
    RichyRich Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I went with my family and had a lovely day out, ruined by the crazy man which own this car park. I got a ticket from somebody who was leaving and for that I had to pay £75 cash. The owner - a Mr. Farnell - appears to be a demented and frumpy old man, who believe that we comitted "fraud" and "deception". I paid my money but know that I will not get it back. The owner is unprofessional and spends all day checking the vehicles - every 10 minutes as I can tell. People I spoke to in the area wish he was gone. Frankly this car park needs to be shut down.

We need to get word out about this car park..perhaps put up signs in the area warning or directing people. As well as on as many websites/twitter as possible so this shows up on Google.

The best way to close him down is to take away the custom.

Had Ted Evans sold it then? He's a magistrate, apparently...
    #145 Save £12k in 2016 Challenge: £12,062.62/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £5,027.78 CHALLENGE MET
    #060 Save £12k in 2017 Challenge: £11,03.70/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £12,976.79 Shortfall: £996.30:eek:
    This is the secret message.
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Yet another conman trying to make himself look respectable by giving a donation to charity. Didn't the Kray Twins do the same thing?
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    trisontana wrote: »
    Yet another conman trying to make himself look respectable by giving a donation to charity. Didn't the Kray Twins do the same thing?
    Well Bill Gates used to do this. Every time there was a billion dollar law suit, suddenly a news story of him donating millions to charity came out. Oh and there's UK Protection Services?! :D
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,536 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    A quite like Ted Evans - he's a !!!!!! Turpin who doesn't wear a mask, lets you know under what circumstances he will take cash off you, doesn't take your car and only robs you of £75.

How many other clamping companies can say the same?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure