IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

WARNING Avoid Changegate Car Park, Haworth. Notorious for Clamping

Options

Comments

• peter_the_piper
    Options
    Kite2010 wrote: »
    Correction, the clamping company will not accept cards because that would leave a paper trail for the tax man ;)
    And there was a chance of a chargeback to boot.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • UnconsciouS
    Options
    The Changegate car park is owned by Ted Evans who was also the owner of the clamping 'company' Carstoppers. Later Ted claimed his son Gareth Evans owned Carstoppers, and now someone called Tony Farnell. Gareth Evans is still involved in the clamping. Farnell and both the Evans sit in cars (not sign written) hiding and waiting for mistakes. Observed tactics are used to increase the chance of parking errors happening. We have pictures of some of the tricks.

Dozens of complaints have been made to police and trading standards. So far, across an 8-10 year period, nothing has been done, even though the car park operates like a Venus Fly Trap.

Evans seems to get around the law because there are 3 signs warning of clamps. However, there is no advance warning. The signs are only visible AFTER you have parked, and are easily obstructed by cars, as they are less than 3 feet from the ground, and face a direction which makes them impossible to read on entering and parking.

Some of the spaces in the car park are too small for cars, and there are other devised inconsistencies in the marking of spaces.

Over the years threats and intimidation has been associated with Evans operation and staff have gone to court for this.

Evans admits to making and storing sound recordings and video footage of all the people who challenge him or who he has an interest in - although warnings to this effect are not displayed in the car park.

Evans exploits mistakes but cheats too; clamping is swift and very expensive but his greed will be his downfall - he has made his own mistakes!

A.K.A Edward Evans, an ex-magistrate and author; (books include The Piano and, Like A Fish Out Of Water) has only got away with this for years, due to the lack of any robust monitoring of his cowboy actions locally.

The lack of policing of Evans has been lamentable. One can only wonder why the local authorities have been so limp.

Evans calls the police on a daily basis as parkers get upset with him, effectively using the police as 'minders' for his 'protection' and to turn the tables on his victim. Local councils claim that police officers have received anonymous threats if they investigate Evans.

Local bobbies say they loathe him but it is unknown just what his relationship is with people higher up the chain.

Evans is a stain on Yorkshire and it is an astonishing madness that the police, while warning the community about doorstop conmen fro example, can still sit watching Evans and his mob rob people directly opposite the police station - this over many years.

The local papers are soft. They keep repeating that Evans works lawfully. I presume that all their reporters are blind or challenged in some other way.

There is also a suggestion from a few that Evans is prone to sudden changes of character and one wonders how he was able to function as a magistrate if his behaviour was as described.

Most of Evans's victims are tourists. Local people are either his chums or they give him a very wide berth. All visitors to Haworth are strongly advised NEVER to park in the CHANGEGATE CAR PARK whilst visiting Haworth, an otherwise delightful area.

There is hope. Watch this space! More to report soon.
  • sat.vantage
    Options
    I would like to request you to kindly guide and help and also want to bring in your kind notice the mal practices by CARSTOPPERS car park at Haworth.
    I took my mother in law who is visiting from India to show her the famous Bronte Estate but what she experienced with my family has been the worst she has seen till date.
    I purchased the parking ticket for one hour and clearly displayed on the windscreen, the ticket was bought at 14:41 and was valid till 15:41 we returned at 15:20 in ample time and saw the parking attendant going towards our car with clamps in his hands, so I rushed to the scene opened the car and showed him the ticket, but he refused and said he could not see it and clamped the car, despite of my convincing and requesting. My wife and young kids who started crying had no effect on the person.
    The clamper was adamant and kept on saying that he is going to call a tow truck and then it would cost me £240, I called car stoppers and they told me straight away that I have to pay to get the clamp removed. The clamper also said that police cannot do anything as he experience this everyday and police come to the site on daily basis but have no power to put an end to what they do.
    I called police but they said that it’s a private car park and they cannot and will not do anything, overall it was the worst experience my family had, and I am shocked to know that why these people are allowed to intimidate and threaten people even after so many complaints. I spoke to local businesses and they all said that they are notorious for their practices. So I had no option but to surrender to the extortion by the clamping team as I was more scared about my family in their presence. I paid £90 and now I am looking for ways to bring this to an end before this practice by car stoppers becomes unstoppable and above the law.
    As a law abiding and taxpaying citizen I would like to know what my rights are and what could be the solutions. I would be grateful for your kind help and guidance on this matter.
    Awaiting your kind reply,
    Thanks and regards
  • NEH
    NEH Posts: 2,464 Forumite
    Options
    We've just been clamped. The fee is now £90 to have it released and you're told to go the cashpoint to get the money or face another £240 for the tow truck. Signs in shops are all very well but you don't go the shops till after you park. We were one of several clamped within 10 minutes, absolutely daylight robbery when you think that's at least £360 for ten minutes work!!!!!

In the end we went home as we were so shocked and upset. I can't believe more isn't done as this puts people off going to the area. I find it even more shocking that the Bronte website suggests parking there.

I know we won't see that money again as we don't have the money to go to court and the receipt does say going to get change is no excuse....

Absolutely terrible and if it's a magistrate that owns it that is even more shocking!
  • robredz
    robredz Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    Options
    Best go in a tracked vehicle then, where would they put the clamp, and of course you could drive over the clampers 4 x 4, now where can I borrow an ex army tank?

Seriously something should have been done about this outfit, Trading stansdards where are you. Bet Ted Evans is looking forward to Schedule 4 of the freedom bill to allow him to continue his nefarious trade, after the clamping ban.
  • AlexisV
    AlexisV Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    Options
    I would like to request you to kindly guide and help and also want to bring in your kind notice the mal practices by CARSTOPPERS car park at Haworth.
    I took my mother in law who is visiting from India to show her the famous Bronte Estate but what she experienced with my family has been the worst she has seen till date.
    I purchased the parking ticket for one hour and clearly displayed on the windscreen, the ticket was bought at 14:41 and was valid till 15:41 we returned at 15:20 in ample time and saw the parking attendant going towards our car with clamps in his hands, so I rushed to the scene opened the car and showed him the ticket, but he refused and said he could not see it and clamped the car, despite of my convincing and requesting. My wife and young kids who started crying had no effect on the person.
    The clamper was adamant and kept on saying that he is going to call a tow truck and then it would cost me £240, I called car stoppers and they told me straight away that I have to pay to get the clamp removed. The clamper also said that police cannot do anything as he experience this everyday and police come to the site on daily basis but have no power to put an end to what they do.
    I called police but they said that it’s a private car park and they cannot and will not do anything, overall it was the worst experience my family had, and I am shocked to know that why these people are allowed to intimidate and threaten people even after so many complaints. I spoke to local businesses and they all said that they are notorious for their practices. So I had no option but to surrender to the extortion by the clamping team as I was more scared about my family in their presence. I paid £90 and now I am looking for ways to bring this to an end before this practice by car stoppers becomes unstoppable and above the law.
    As a law abiding and taxpaying citizen I would like to know what my rights are and what could be the solutions. I would be grateful for your kind help and guidance on this matter.
    Awaiting your kind reply,
    Thanks and regards

You won't get your money back. You can sue in small claims court, but the company will ignore any CCJs and have no assets anyway.

You can pursue the police via the Independent Police Complaints Commission as a clear crime had occurred in your case (Fraud Act 2006)
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    Keep the ticket and receipt(if given) so you have the evidence to hand when you sue them and make your claim to the law.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • AlexisV
    AlexisV Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    Options
    Suing them would be throwing another £30 down the drain.
  • robredz
    robredz Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    Options
    Keep the ticket and receipt(if given) so you have the evidence to hand when you sue them and make your claim to the law.

Quite correct as has been already stated they would ignore the CCJ, the main problem is getting the police to investigate the obvious fraud, of the clamper clamping whilst the ticket was still valid, also once the clamp was on was it not now "Demanding money with menaces", but dutti babylon will say sorry it's civil!!!! and go harass some other motorist somewhere.

Ted Evans must have a funny handshake relationship with higher authority in the police and council, as in other areas he would have been sorted long ago.
  • torontoboy45
    torontoboy45 Posts: 1,064 Forumite
    Options
    robredz wrote: »
    Quite correct as has been already stated they would ignore the CCJ, the main problem is getting the police to investigate the obvious fraud, of the clamper clamping whilst the ticket was still valid, also once the clamp was on was it not now "Demanding money with menaces", but dutti babylon will say sorry it's civil!!!! and go harass some other motorist somewhere.

Ted Evans must have a funny handshake relationship with higher authority in the police and council, as in other areas he would have been sorted long ago.
    not sure if it's handshakes (do the brotherhood still have that type of influence?) but there's something definitely strange about this case; he seems to enjoy some type of immunity.

stranger still is the fact that evans hasn't (or at least as far as we know) come up against the type of numpties who frequent my local, The Broken Jaw. (clamping 'big vern's' humvee is most inadvisable).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure