Mobile Phone Exchange.co.uk

in Mobiles
163 replies 58.8K views

Replies

• I got a quote for my apple iphone for £116 sent the phone away to them and got an email with a re-quote for £26 due to apparent damage that wasnt there when i sent it away the previous day, seems the same case that everyone else is having. Ive sent them and email and have no reply and ive just sat on the phone for 20 minutes with no one wanting to pick up and talk to me. The email said I would be paid the £26 if i did not contact them by thursday but how am I meant to contact them if they wont answer emails or answer phone calls!

My email to them said to accept this email as me declining their offer of £26 as I felt like I was being robbed and that I expected either a decent true value offer for my phone or my phone sent back to me in the orginal state!

Complete rip off merchants DO NOT USE MOBILEPHONEEXCHANGE.CO.UK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Was about to send my T-Mobile MDA Vario IV (HTC Touch Pro) off to them valued by them at £98 when I saw all these negative feedback.
    I found some more (sorry, remove spaces, as newbie site does not allow links):
    'www . comparephonerecyclers. co . uk/recycler/moble-phone-xchange/'

I emailed them twice saying I wished to cancel the sale order.
    Surprise surprise, no reply from them.

Will be trying another company, offering less, but hopefully also less hassle!
  • Scam......Scam......Scam.........Scam
    I sent my iphone after having it checked by a phone expert. A1 condition. Initially offered £140 plus some more for taking value as giftcard. Received email stating that the phone was valued at £29.00 as the screen was damaged and severely scratched. I argued against this and asked for the return of the phone. I had to pay an extra £10.00 to get my phone back. Having then paid the extra £10.00 the company rang me and said there had been a mistake and the phone wasn't damaged after all and they would pay the full amount and include the extra £10.00. I agreed and then having checked the giftcard I find it is now deactivated. My advice is to find a local exchange service or sell it on ebay.
  • Having avoided Mobile Phone Exchange, I tried a competitor who I couldn't find any negative reviews for. They quoted £95 for my phone (£3 less than MPX) and didn't want the memory card or anything else - just the phone and battery. However, I sent it off (Royal Mail proof of delivery - if I remember correctly £39 compensation) with the box it came in, the headphones (new) it came with, the extra touch-screen pen, the CD and manuals etc, but didn't include the charger or the USB cable (I still have another phone which can use them). Got an email today confirming that they will be crediting my account with £95. This is even with a scratch on the back cover and an impact point on the casing when it was dropped a while back!
    Don't want to provide free adverts for them, so I'll just say the phone was sent to somewhere in Watford.
  • I have finally today, received the full payment for my phone. If i were to say that my experience with this company was good then i'd be just a much of a lier as the company itself, so i won't. The experience was absolutely pathetic to be honest, it has taken me over 3 weeks to simply get the service that they themselves advertise.

I sympathise with anyone going through what i have and who are currently battling with them; be persistant and they will eventually pay what you're entitled to! For those that are thinking of using the company, DON'T! Believe me, the extra couple of quid they offer isn't worth it when you look at the time i've wasted emailing, waiting for replies from them and just generally being messed around

Do not use this waste of space company! :mad: Rant over.
  • I wish I'd read this thread before I used them!!

I posted my old Nokia to them two weeks ago, they quoted me £33. There was nothing wrong with it apart from minor cosmetic damage to the case, the screen was fine and I had used the phone until the day before I posted it off.

Today I received a later with a cheque for £7 attached stating it was a revised offer due to "water damage"! The phone has never been near water!

I feel completely ripped off, am going to give them a call when I have more time but I'm worried they'll try and fob me off because it's my word against theirs. And it's not worth me paying £10 to get the phone back when it was only worth £33 in the first place...

Any advice??
  • Vegas07 wrote: »
    I wish I'd read this thread before I used them!!

I posted my old Nokia to them two weeks ago, they quoted me £33. There was nothing wrong with it apart from minor cosmetic damage to the case, the screen was fine and I had used the phone until the day before I posted it off.

Today I received a later with a cheque for £7 attached stating it was a revised offer due to "water damage"! The phone has never been near water!

I feel completely ripped off, am going to give them a call when I have more time but I'm worried they'll try and fob me off because it's my word against theirs. And it's not worth me paying £10 to get the phone back when it was only worth £33 in the first place...

Any advice??

Vegas, Did Mobilephonexchange notify you that they would not be paying you the full amount, or did they just send the cheque with no prior contact or forewarning?
  • Hi,

No they didn't forewarn me, I just received a letter today with a cheque attached to the bottom stating:

"We are delighted to enclose your cheque for £7.00 for recycling your handset. All our phones are either environmentally recycled or reused in developing countries where they make a real difference to people's lives.

Handset: Nokia 6300
    Amount: £7.00
    Comments: Water Damage

If your cheque is less than the original amount quoted to you, please see our comments for an explanation. Equally please feel free to call 0845 270 7136 if you need any further explanation."

It's such a cheek!

And I've noticed on their website FAQs they actually have a section for "Water Damage" - as if they are pre-empting people's complaints?

It reads:

What is "Water Damage"?

Any liquid that gets inside your phone will cause serious permanent damage. Sometimes a phone will continue to work after liquid has got in but more than likely it will stop working within 1 or 2 months. There are tell-tale indicators on some phones alerting engineers to water damage.

The last sentence I have bolded also makes it sound as though they are saying "don't bother questioning this because we will just tell you one of our engineers has detected the water damage"!
  • Unfortunately, they're not stupid, they no exactly what little loop holes they can manipulate to try and scam customers. In my case it was a "faulty and scratched screen" which i know for fact was not true as i personally used the phone and sealed it in the envelope myself!

If i were you i'd email them and ring them stating you are not happy with the amount and make it clear on both counts you are not accepting the cheque as you were not informed of the revised amount (I was emailed an informed that my quote had been 'revised' and given the chance to accept or decline) Tell them you want the phone re-assessed by their 'technician' (i imagine this guy is also the caretaker, cleaner and customer service rep in between 'assessing' phones:rotfl:) and ask for photographic evidence of the water damage indicator in question along with proof of the IMEI of the handset to verify it is actually you're handset if you're 100% sure there is no way the handset could be water damaged.

Ultimately, if they refuse which they probably will (or just ignore you and hope you go away as they did to me), demand the phone be sent back at their expense. Don't let them try and tell you they 'can't' do that, as they offered to do it with mine when they realised that i wasn't going anywhere and was willing to do whatever i had to, to get what was originally offered :D
  • androidyandroidy Forumite
    5 Posts
    After comparing a lot of phone comparison sites, I decided to use Mobile Phone Xchange because they were offering me the most money and I am greedy. My phone was in excellent condition when I sent it and after reading a lot of reviews I decided to cushion it in extra bubble wrap so it wouldn't get knocked around during delivery and sent it off special delivery. I got an email a couple of days later saying they had assessed my phone and are giving me the full amount of money they originally quoted so I was happy! The money appeared in my account later that week. I told my girlfriend about my extra earnings and she decided to send her phone too and had no problems either.

So it makes me wonder how careless people complaining are being. As for the comment about water damage, isn't it a bit silly to say your phone has never been near water? Living in the UK means wet horrible weather, I've seen people on their expensive looking phones regardless of how much it is raining without any thought about its welfare! That could easily be the cause of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

54 ways to ‘DIY it’

According to the MSE Forum

MSE Team Blog

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News

Lidl '£10 off £40 spend' voucher

Via Metro or Daily Mail. Excludes NI

MSE Deals