Mobile Phone Exchange.co.uk

Options
Avoid this company - their website is false and misleading. Although www.mobilephoneexchange.co.uk offered slightly less than Mazuma & Envirofone they promised that the money would be paid directly into a bank account within 10 working days (which I thought outweighed the inconvenience of wasting a lunch-time paying in a cheque).

Despite e-mails from them confirming that they have received my old phones, and further e-mail promising payment would be received within 3 working days (that was over a week ago), six weeks later I am STILL waiting to receive payment.

Try one of the other mobile phone exchange sites, which might actually pay you for your phones!!

VERY POOR SERVICE bearing no resemblance to that promised by their web-site. I am also beginning to wonder if this is a scam site designed to obtain people's bank details.

Comments

• marni70
    Options
    PLEASE PLEASE Avoid this company - their website is false and misleading.

THEY SAY THAT YOUR PHONE IS WORTH X AMMOUNT THEN THEY BASICALLY OFFER YOU THE LEAST RIDICULOUS AMMOUNT AND SAY YOUR PHONE IS NOT WORKING ( WHEN THEY WE ALL WORKING PERFECTLY WHEN I SENT THEM) , COMPLETE WASTE OF SPACE WONT EVEN SEND YOU YOUR PHONE BACK ..
    I COMPLAINED SEVERAL TIMES EVEN OFFERED ME XTRA MONEY BUT NEVER RECIEVED IT .. SCAM ARTISTS THERE EVERY WHERE NOW!
    BE VERY CAUTIOUS... LOSERS TRYING TO MAKE MONEY FROM HONEST PEOPLE....

AS STATED IN THE PREVIOUS POST:
    Try one of the other mobile phone exchange sites, which might actually pay you CORRECTLY for your phones!!
  • elfen
    elfen Posts: 10,213 Forumite
    Options
    I've not had a problem with them. Sent my phone (the envelope took a little time to arrive), was texted when it arrived, texted with the value and given the opportunity to cancel, then texted when the money was released and it all went through OK. Considering I must have used them the beginning of last year though, may explain why mine was OK and others haven't been.
    ** Total debt: £6950.82 ± May NSDs 1/10 **
    ** Fat Bum Shrinking: -7/56lbs **
    **SPC 2012 #1498 -£152 and 1499 ***
    I do it all because I'm scared.
  • wolvesfan18
    Options
    I'd look more at the fact that 2 members come on the same day, and post about the same thing about the same company within the space of 30minutes....

something wrong, but im too tired to work it out so im leaving it for someone else :j
  • Bats2009
    Options
    Unfortunately, i am having a similar experience with this company as the OP and post #2. To cut a long story short, i sent my handset into this company on the basis that the original offer was for £134 (which i was very pleased with) and all seemed to be going okay, the handset was received quickly and i was notified. The problems began when i was then told i would only bepaid £59!!

The reasons given were that; #1 screen was "faulty" #2 Display damaged #3 case damaged. I acknowledge that the case was scratched, but as for the other two points, these were pure and utter BS, i know this because the handset was independently check 24 hours prior to my sending of the phone and also because i used the handset myself on the day of sending. I also know this for fact because when i questioned issue #1 and #2, i was presented with a revised offer of £75 and miraculously the faulty screen was now working!

I have since emailed asking on three occasions asking for photographic evidence of the "scratch" but have been ignored on every occasion and to add insult, logged on to check my bank this morning to find a bank credit of £59 from MPX even though i had rejected the offer of £75 on the basis that the handset i sent to them in no way reflected the definition of a "faulty handset" which they display on their site. And what was even more of a joke was the final part of one of the responses stating that as per the T&C's (which they have ignored themselves) i would have to pay £10 to have my phone sent back to me!

As you can imagine, unhappy doesn't quite portray my feelings toward the service of this company and have emailed them today to try and sort out what has been the most abysmal service i have ever experienced.

Please, anyone that reads this, it really isn't worth it, for an extra couple of pounds, to use this company and experience the hassle that i am now having to go through simply to get what they themselves originally offered.

Avoid at all costs!!!! (I apologize about the length of the post)
  • Bats2009
    Bats2009 Posts: 9 Forumite
    edited 4 February 2010 at 11:55AM
    Options
    Just an update on the current situation with this problem for the benefit of anyone that is considering using this company. If you don't read anything else, read this, save yourself a lot of hassle, effort and wasted time, use a different site, admittedly, the offer maybe a couple of quid less but at least you'll get what you were offered!

Having had no reply from this company since the 28/01/10, i have since emailed a further 2 times stating that i did not accept the quote and either wanted photographic evidence of the "scratch" on the screen (a reasonable request, i feel, given the amount of money at stake) or the difference between what they paid and what they offered, to be credited to me, but as you can guess, all three emails have been completely ignored. I can only assume that by now the company have sold my handset, meaning i have no choice but to carry on dealing with this pathetic excuse for a company.

I know others have had a good experience with them, but that tended to be (from what i have seen) with phones worth a lot less than the £134 i was originally offered and the underlying trend in the problems is quite obvious, they have absolutely no intention of paying out a substantial amount, despite offering it to the customer initially, even if it means lying, ignoring customer emails and completely dis-regarding (for their own benefit of course) what is written on their own website in plain English.

Has anyone had a similar situation that ended with a satisfactory outcome?
  • bazmack
    Options
    Do not use 'Mobile phone exchange' to sell your old mobile. I sent my old phone after receiving a quote for £54. It worked perfectly ok and I was using it up until a few days before I posted it. I have just received a message to say it is only worth £12 as it is now not working correctly. Mmmmm, something fishy here.
    I have replied to the message requesting the return of my once working phone.
    I do not expect it to be in the condition I sent it but would rather give it away than be conned.
  • keys_2
    keys_2 Posts: 1,070 Forumite
    Options
    Thankyou fpr this advise as my bf was looking at using these . As his phone is broken we searched a few sites and you can get quotes for broken ones - They are normally alot less money for them though :(.

Can you not look on there terms and conditions to see what you can do ? If it does not come back in the same state I would definately make a complaint and I would also ask why they thought it was faulty . However I would make sure the phone was back in my hand before doing this .

Good luck
    Ebay Bag A Day Challenge 2012- :staradmin
    *£10 a Day Febuary Challenge
    £ 66.23 / £290
    £2 savers#131
    Crazy Clothes Challenge Me £3.99/ £200 Dd £16 /£200

• JET_2
    JET_2 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 8 February 2010 at 1:38PM
    Options
    I was very nervous after I read these threads because I had posted 2 mobiles to this company a couple of days before they appeared on this site.

However the service I received was really good I received the money as quoted and cannot fault them other than the fact that I did not receive the text however i simply tracked the order. I got the full value for my phones and I believe that this was because I was also meticulous in ensuring that i read the small print so I knew what i would realistically get for my phones.

I would both use and recommend this company in the future
  • Bats2009
    Options
    Jet, out of curiosity, how much were the two handsets worth and what condition were they in? As typically it seems as though it's the more expensive handsets which MPX are refusing to pay out on and are even lying to customers to do so as well as dis-regarding what they themselves say on their own site.

Mine was originally valued at £134 and was then offered less than half of that based on faults and damage which did not exist and in actual fact the "faulty screen" stated in the first report miraculously fixed itself when they had their "technicians" (Yeah right :rotfl:) re-evaluate the phone.
  • Rusty!
    Rusty! Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    With regards to the first post, if you want the money for the old phone going directly into your account, Money4URMobile offer this service, sent my N95 off to them a couple of weeks back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure