We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Low-carb diets support thread

Options

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,551 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sofababe wrote: »
    Day 29 of my LC life and not a single ounce lost (or a single millimetre) :mad:
    I just don't get it at all. I have less than 20g carbs a day, a good amount of fat with my protein and I'm pretty active during the day. I'm starting to think that LC is not the way for me :(
    I'm so bloated today that I can't get my jeans fastened properly and the scales tell me that I've put on half lb :eek:

I could cry!!!!

If it's any consolation, Mrs G is having the same problem. The weight is dropping off me but she has seen very little change at all.

One thing we did identify, just a few days ago, was that, although she was eating less carbs she was actually stuffing herself with everything else because the book said that there was no limit. She's cut back a bit now, restarted exercising every day (rower) and the weight does seem to be, very gradually, coming off.
  • Skymist
    Skymist Posts: 406 Forumite
    Options
    hannoja, this might help explain your "white out" bit.

http://www.carbohydratescankill.com/3341/carbohydrate-restriction-constipation

HTH.

S
  • nuttybabe
    nuttybabe Posts: 2,299 Forumite
    Options
    Nuttybabe -LIDL reduced sugar blackcurrant jam-29gms carbs per 100g!:beer:
    Thank you so much. I am going to lidl next week (typically i went to aldi this week and searched in there! ) :D

Hannoja - thanks, but its a little pricy for me. although if we win the lottery i will get some! :D

Sofababe - are your clothes feeling loser on you? it might be muscle as you are so active. could you be having something like coffee that stalls you or sweetner?

I have chocolate last night. i would have lost 2lbs but cos of the choccy (and wine) i only lost 1lb this week. but its my own fault and it is since tuesday so not complaining! although not sure how i will fare over the weekend espeically as i still have a few bars of choccy left.

food for today

b - oopsie with butter and jam
    l - mince and veg with cheese on top
    t - oopsie pizza

snacks - none, out earlier and too much cleaning to do this afternoon! :p will try to drink more though. best get started on it then, need something to warm me up.
  • Sazbo
    Sazbo Posts: 4,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    I've done a little experiment. Using Mercy's last food list (I hope you don't mind Mercy?) I've estimated on volume of items and worked out the nutritional value, what I haven't included is the veg with the turkey and bacon (as it's not mentioned) and everything else (apart from the amount of ingredients that are actually listed) is around portion size.

Protein *173% of RDA
    Vit A *115%
    Vit B6 *119%
    Vit B12 *91%
    Vit C 282%
    Vit D *11% (2 eggs added would be 28%)
    Vit E *82%
    Calcium *93%
    Copper *159%
    Iron *61%
    Magnesium *100%
    Manganese *145%
    Niacin *101%
    B5 *61%
    Phosporous *184%
    Riboflavin *136%
    Selenium *126%
    Thiamin 71%
    Zinc *121%
    Potassium *85%

The balance is 16% carbs / protein 23% / fat 61%

Of course this is estimated, but the extra veg would make this even better.

The mainstay of many low-carb diet, eggs would boost 17 of the above even more, noted with a *

If these type of ingredients are used on a regular basis you can see how supplements are not required - even on a low-carb intake. By eating a varied diet, full of fresh produce, avoiding synthetic, processed products, cigarettes, too much alcohol, diet fizzy drinks etc, will avoid the need for supplements - I'm leaving Vit D out of this.

There is a fine line between losing weight with either restrictive calories, or a restrictive diet, and maintaining good health.

I hope this has been helpful.

Hi murphydog (and hi to everyone else, I used to post on here a gazillion years ago, but obviously still lurk lol :) Hope you're all well :hello: ) Am enjoying the supplements discussion, but isn't the issue slightly wider than this, in the sense that the Government-set RDAs for the UK - which I assume you've base your percentages on? - were set decades ago and therefore don't necessarily reflect the more recent advances in nutrition research? Government-set health policies are of course notoriously slow to keep pace with change in general.

So might it not be the case that we actually need more than is stated by the current official RDAs? Take for example the contemporary thinking about Vit D3 - the official RDA is a tiny fraction of what is now considered the minimum amount for folks not getting enough sunlight and/or suffering from a range of inflammatory conditions. It can't even be sold here in what would now be considered an adequate amount.

And so a dietary analysis based on these RDAs might tell you that you're getting enough of whatever vitamins etc, when in fact you might not be? Don't get me wrong, I'm not an expert lol - this is just me "flapping my gums" as my D/H would say :D

Saz x
    4 May 2010 <3
  • murphydog999
    murphydog999 Posts: 1,600 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes, I wondered if someone would pick up on the RDA set-up. There are different ways of determining this, but the drug companies use the 'official' guidelines for their own use and that's what we all have to go by.

All these factors are of course subject to how produce is stored, how old/fresh it is, how it is cooked, so unless we are in laboratory conditions it is pretty impossible to be completely accurate. My example was as a guide to show that a decent diet probably isn't as bad as you may think.
  • Minihauk
    Minihauk Posts: 523 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for all the info on supplements. I didn't mean to open such a can of worms, just wanted pointing in the direction of something to relieve/prevent leg cramps .....

Anyway, day 3 of my new regime and I have a headache, lol. I didn't get any when I did this before, but it is the weekend, so I really don't mind.

Eating is going well, not counting the carbs but have cut them right down. I must drink more water - spend all day drinking tea (wth milk, and I know it has carbs, but I can't get through the day at work without it), with about 1.5 litres of water. I'm not going to weigh myself very often, I'll be guided by my clothes.

Hope everyone else is ok.
  • Mercy
    Mercy Posts: 1,733 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sofababe wrote: »
    Day 29 of my LC life and not a single ounce lost (or a single millimetre) :mad:
    I just don't get it at all. I have less than 20g carbs a day, a good amount of fat with my protein and I'm pretty active during the day. I'm starting to think that LC is not the way for me :(
    I'm so bloated today that I can't get my jeans fastened properly and the scales tell me that I've put on half lb :eek:

I could cry!!!!

Not kept up with what you are eating - I've not seen any drop from doing LC just yet but I thought, and am trying out, that I may not be eating enough veggies.

I don't know yet if this will work but I do feel better this week for eating more nice fresh veg.

There's a big myth - which isn't a myth for the ones for whom it works - that all protein and fat will set you up for a good weight loss.

We are all different. I feel great on low carb but I feel better on MASSIVE injection of veg. I'm still experimenting myself so can give no real info as yet. But what I will say is 'HIGH CARBS? NAY! STAY THY HAND!' Don't give up yet.

You may be experiencing the water holding of fat cells (I fervently hope I am :)) You may be just slightly off your ideal eating plan.

If, in general, you feel better LC - just do it.

Hope you know we're rooting for you sweetie. We all want to succeed and want all the rest to also.

Big love
    MXXX
    low carb recipe list - link on page 1 low carb support thread
    You don't have any control over what life throws at you.
    You DO have control over how you react :)
  • Mercy
    edited 3 February 2012 at 9:30PM
    Options
    Mercy wrote: »
    S'mee again!

Really enjoyed the veg stuff yesterday so did it again today :)

Tomato, celery, red pepper, cucumber, handful of parsley, half lemon juice. Reckon these are coming in at 3-4 carbs a pint :) nowt to worry about there then.

Very tasty but a funny colour :rotfl:
    Forgot to add coconut oil.

B - ham n cheese
    L - turkey, bacon veg stew
    T - above smoothie

Adding up my carb intake today I make it about 8g carb ingested so far.

Think I may have been under doing carbs as this represents a high carb day for me :)

So I'm of a mind to try a chocolate milk shake. 16.5g carb. No sweeteners, lots of nice things.

200ml FF goats milk
    100ml double cream
    50g coconut cream sachet
    1.5 tablespoons cocoa
    3 tablespoons ground almonds
    1 small banana (100g)
    Vanilla essence

Warm milk and coconut cream, blend first.
    Add rest
    Blend until smooth
    Add ice and blend again.

Carb count is for 1/2 above. Will be saving half for tomorrow.

Have made this once before and a full one was gut busting. Lots of good fats and some protein. Really creamy and sweet enough without any added anything - for me anyway.

Think I could get to like this :)

MX
    I've done a little experiment. Using Mercy's last food list (I hope you don't mind Mercy?) I've estimated on volume of items and worked out the nutritional value, what I haven't included is the veg with the turkey and bacon (as it's not mentioned) and everything else (apart from the amount of ingredients that are actually listed) is around portion size.

Protein *173% of RDA
    Vit A *115%
    Vit B6 *119%
    Vit B12 *91%
    Vit C 282%
    Vit D *11% (2 eggs added would be 28%)
    Vit E *82%
    Calcium *93%
    Copper *159%
    Iron *61%
    Magnesium *100%
    Manganese *145%
    Niacin *101%
    B5 *61%
    Phosporous *184%
    Riboflavin *136%
    Selenium *126%
    Thiamin 71%
    Zinc *121%
    Potassium *85%

The balance is 16% carbs / protein 23% / fat 61%

Of course this is estimated, but the extra veg would make this even better.

The mainstay of many low-carb diet, eggs would boost 17 of the above even more, noted with a *

If these type of ingredients are used on a regular basis you can see how supplements are not required - even on a low-carb intake. By eating a varied diet, full of fresh produce, avoiding synthetic, processed products, cigarettes, too much alcohol, diet fizzy drinks etc, will avoid the need for supplements - I'm leaving Vit D out of this.

There is a fine line between losing weight with either restrictive calories, or a restrictive diet, and maintaining good health.

I hope this has been helpful.
    That was was your post 9683 on the previous page.

Hi sweetie, I'm a bit confused.
    You haven't included the stew with bacon etc - but it is in the list of the post you said you used :)

Also what is portion size? I don't know how you mean this, to what does that refer? Without knowledge of what amount of each article was used how do you make your analysis? :)

How can I or anyone make use of your hard work if it isn't derived from something we can look at?

Please check out if you used a different post.

Cheers

MXXX
  • Mercy
    Options
    Hi loverly low carb people!

I too must question the RDA of many things.

Vit D is the biggest, most obvious one. RDA for 9 month pregnant women is 600iu a day. Next day baby and mother need 400iu each. WHAT? Anyway that's an easy one to debunk.

I have researched and found that vitA blocks vitD take up. However, I find that when I take 5-10,000iu of vitD and a big cap of codliveroil (500iu vitD lots of vitA) my crepitus disappears. Without the CodLO my crepitus hurts.

You do have to be careful with most supplements. VitD is different. Toxicity by supplement has only been seen in people who added an extra (0) nought to the amount they should take and done that for a while.

Anyway, the UK recommendation for 400iu per day is just enough to stop you getting ricketts. That's all.

Enough to stop your bones being bent as you grow but not perhaps the optimal amount for good health.

More research places - don't take my word for it at anytime - do your own research.

http://www.drbriffa.com/

http://www.mercola.com/

These are two who will give sources for research which informs their view.

Just (maybe) log in and search their databases.

Look after yourself, inform yourself. MOSTLY LISTEN TO YOUR BODY.

You learn to listen to how you feel and react accordingly, if you let yourself.

Big love

MXXXX
  • murphydog999
    Options
    Mercy, to answer your questions.

The turkey stew is included, the veg isn't (as I didn't know what it was).

For your smoothie I estimated 1 med tomato / 1/2 red pepper / 2 small sticks celery / 1/2 small cucumber + the parsley and juice.

Ham and turkey 2x med thick slices.

Cheese, cheddar (full-fat) I think I said 25g.

Apart from the chocolate smoothie, I took an educated guess at the other amounts for the purpose of the experiment. Of course it's not accurate, but it gives an indication of the nutrition from those foods.

Hope thats a bit clearer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family