Comments

• Mercy
    Mercy Posts: 1,733 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A note on jams

Sugar free doesn't mean carb free.

Check the carbs.

Cranberry jelly is about 35% carbs I think.

Sounds good in small portions to me :)

MX
    low carb recipe list - link on page 1 low carb support thread
    You don't have any control over what life throws at you.
    You DO have control over how you react :)
  • Minihauk
    Minihauk Posts: 523 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the vits suggestions. I went to H&B and bought Omega3, Magnesium nd glucosamine (on doctors orders for my dodgy knees). I will buy Vits B and D, zinc, potasium and a multi without iron. Gordon Bennett, I'm gonna rattle!!! ;)
    Just had stir fried veg and fish in butter sauce for dinner, yum.
    Managed to drink lots of water today too, so not a bad day in all.
    Hope you are all doing ok.
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    thanks mercy you talk a lot of sense
    preparation is definitely the key x

i have some cranberry sauce ill check the carbs

i also take vits , i take a skin hair and nails supplement, vit d3, vit c, cod liver oil, hemp oil, flaxseed oil, one for eyesight cant remember what its called
  • Mercy
    Mercy Posts: 1,733 Forumite
    Options
    Minihauk wrote: »
    Thanks for the vits suggestions. I went to H&B and bought Omega3, Magnesium nd glucosamine (on doctors orders for my dodgy knees). I will buy Vits B and D, zinc, potasium and a multi without iron. Gordon Bennett, I'm gonna rattle!!! ;)
    Just had stir fried veg and fish in butter sauce for dinner, yum.
    Managed to drink lots of water today too, so not a bad day in all.
    Hope you are all doing ok.

Hi sweetie

Vitamin d3 is only any good in the right quantity. 5000iu is the minimum we need every day. UK can only sell 400iu. (H&B etc will never sell the higher doses) I suggest you try ebay and search vit D3 1000iu. It's best to start small, do 1 a day for a week then build up. I use 'healthy origins' or 'NOW' Don't want you to waste money so give the 1000iu 1 a day for 1 week, 2 a day for 1 week etc till you are feeling fine on 5000iu a day. Then when you run out you can get 5000iu and take without issue. Some people get tummy ache if they go straight onto 5000iu.

I get 5000iu for about 14£ for 350 delivered. Cheapest thing you can do to improve your health :)

MX
    low carb recipe list - link on page 1 low carb support thread
    You don't have any control over what life throws at you.
    You DO have control over how you react :)
  • newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I take a load of supplements for managing my stress, blood pressure and blood sugar amongst other things.
    Iron free multi vit, Chromium, Borage oil, Zinc, Biotin, Magnesium, Vit D3 (10,000iu), Alpha Lipoic Acid, CoQ10. I tried L Carnitine and 5HTP too, but I haven't noticed that they help with anything, so I am minded not to bother replacing them when the current supply is finished.
    I get most of my supps from ebay.
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • mazzers
    mazzers Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Options
    I get my vit D here, it's almost a years supply and free p&p
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=vitamin+d3+5000+iu&!!!!!googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=15928530588&ref=pd_sl_4zmamg1ql1_b

Minihauk, it's during the night i get my cramps too, in my calves, a nice cozy stretch and AARRGH!

Thanks for the magnesium and salt advice, i will look into that.
    I also take chromium, marine chondroitin, chromium picolinate
    and omega 3 fish oil.

I have to be careful what i take as a few years ago a medication i was on dangerously lowered my already low potassium and i was rushed to hospital with a heart arrhythmia and it damaged my heart :(
    So do some research peeps before starting any supplements.
  • murphydog999
    murphydog999 Posts: 1,598 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So do some research peeps before starting any supplements.

Mazzers, thank you for adding this.

I have to add a bit of a counter to just taking supplements because you think you need to. I've analysed many food diaries and I agree that Vit D can be a problem for quite a few people, however the vast majority of vitamins can, and should be, gained from food.

Unless you have been prescribed supplements because of illness or deficiencies caused by restrictive eating (which in most cases doesn't apply to sugar and heavy carbs) then please save your money and just eat healthily.

The supplement market is worth billions, and the drug companies are very successful in trading - with no-expense-spared, very clever marketing - on peoples fears; I don't mean to be disparaging but you could be doing more harm than good, and only by consulting a professional will you have confirmation that you actually need - or not - to supplement your, hopefully, healthy diet.
  • newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I agree people should research extensively, and did plenty myself. The most helpful info for me came from books on Metabolic Syndrome, also known as Syndrome X, from which I suffer. The supplements I take are the ones recommended there.

With regard to consulting a 'professional' though, I disagree. The party line in the UK is that we should all be eating low fat and high carbs, which of course is what got us into this mess in the first place, and you'll struggle to find any professional who will support you on a low carb diet. Just because a person is 'a professional' doesn't mean they're right - and I speak as a registered nurse of 30+ years. I am often amazed by the rubbish spouted by my professional colleagues (including many doctors), usually quoting 'NICE guidelines' by way of defence. Do your own research by all means, but draw your own conclusions.
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • hannoja
    hannoja Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    edited 2 February 2012 at 12:08PM
    Options
    Thanks for that Murphy. My Dr. found that I had slightly raised calcium in my blood and has been doing tests. She thinks I'm fine, but asked me to make another appointment in 5 months for another blood test, to see if it's still there.

I was taking multivits. and minerals., cod liver oil, sometimes eve. primrose oil, and Berocca (irregularly), and she asked me to stop taking them, just in case they're causing the raised calcium. Due to diet/exercise I feel healthier than I've felt in a long while. Will finish them when 'allowed', so as not to waste them, but I'll just stick to one at once, to see if I notice any change..

Well, being good last weekend paid off, since I'm 4 lbs down this week :j

Yesterday went well, though a couple more sweeties than I should have had :o
    B: 2 frankies with Colac ketchup
    L: 3 little roast chicken thighs, skinned*, chopped, with watercress and a dollop of mayo.
    T: 2 Asda gluten free sausies, a few Celeriac 'chips', and a tiny bit of celeriac mash... (bleurghh, won't be buying celeriac again in a hurry!)

O: Tea, coffee, 5 pints of water/green tea/lemon :T, couple of DeBron wine-gums, couple of DeBron cola-gums, couple of sugar free blackcurrant/liquorice boiled sweets, 2 squares 85% choccie! (bit of a sweet fest going on lst night wasn't there! :o )

Exercise: Usual hour's dog walk, including ~ 10 mins. interval training, ~50 mins. wii fit.

All in all, pretty pleased. The weight loss has probably stopped me from going on an alcoholic binge for the rest of the week :eek:, although 'diluted red wine' is on the menu for Fri/Sat. night :p

Oh, and I was slightly in ketosis this morning, something which seems to have eluded me somewhat of late, so that was a nice little bonus too :)

*I gave the skin to the dog; because it's not that nice. I do tend to eat the skin/fat//rind/crackling on meat if I like it, though I notice some seem to take it off.. Fat is okay right..? (though I have to admit I'm confused about which is 'bad'. Trans fat is bad. Saturated fat is bad too I think..? so perhaps I should be taking fat off meat.. :think: )
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning Peeps :wave:

just popping in to touch base so to speak, still being good apart from the hot choccy :p

Interesting discussion re the supplements, i take a multivitamin, cod liver oil (joints), evening primrose oil (i`m evil without it) and ginkgo (circulation) each day and have done for years. The ginkgo & eve prim were the most recent additions a few years ago but if i miss a few days then i can really tell the difference. Especially with the cod liver oil - i start to creak :D

Next few days will be a haze of nose to grindstone for me, i`m changing shifts and going the wrong way so i go from getting home just before midnight and being back up for w*rk at before 4am so please excuse me if i`m not around much lately. I`m knackered lol.

I`ve been promised that i can go home earlier tonight but i`ll not hold my breath - will be foot tapping later though :D

Yesterdays grub was bacon, scramblies and mushrooms for brekkie, ham & mustard sanger for dinner and keema mince for tea with a 25g bar of dark choccy and some pastrami for snacks.

Today and tomorrow brekkie will be the same but i`m not too sure about the rest of the day as i`m a bit disorganised atm.
    I really need to get some stuff out of the freezer for later in the week otherwise we will starve.

Offski to feed the birdies and walk the woofaloes.

Have great days peeps and keep warm - its freezing out there :eek:

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills