Low-carb diets support thread

Options

Comments

• Skymist
    Skymist Posts: 406 Forumite
    Options
    On the leg-cramp front, when I started doing zero carbs a couple of years ago, I followed the "salt is bad for you" theory, and stopped using any salt, and that's when my nightly-really-painful leg cramps started...and continued!!

So I went against convention, and started using salt again, firstly sea salt, and then (and still now) pink Himalayan salt...and have NEVER had any cramps again!!

Also, unless you are obtaining chlorine from some other source than salt, your body will have a really hard job making sufficient stomach acid....which is hydrochloric acid...which can lead (contrary to popular belief) to very bad heartburn and your body will also have great difficulty in absorbing the nutrients from the food you eat!

S
  • Minihauk
    Minihauk Posts: 523 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you both. I'll pop in H&B on the way home tonight.
  • nuttybabe
    nuttybabe Posts: 2,299 Forumite
    Options
    must check out carbs in the porrige i have. that would be a good breakfast if low enough. do you have it with water and or cream?

my food for today

b - oopsie with butter and little bit of jam
    l - coronation chicken and salad
    t - bolognaise with green beans

snacks - cheese and a mouthful of squirty cream :o

i have cracked the warming the oopsie. now i know it wont 'toast' but i dont like it straight out of the fridge as its too cold and i dont have a microwave. so i put it in one of those toaster bags. and it worked except for the burnt bit round the edge! :o but much nicer warm :D
  • Mercy
    Mercy Posts: 1,733 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all!

Just a quick note on supplements before I blether on as usual.

Minihauk - hi!

I take

Vitamin D - circulation/bone and general health
    Astaxanthin / krill oil - top omega 3
    Magnesium - bone health, cramps
    Potassium K2 - bone health
    cod liver oil - crepitus
    Zinc - bone and general health
    Vitamin C - prevent colds in conjunction with zinc and for general health.

I've had questions asked about my bone health but I came back good. Made me make sure I'll not get problems there.

Crepitus is annoying and painful joint cracking and disappears for me with cod liver oil

Vitamin D is the most important. It is needed for me for
    mood - I no longer get SAD.
    Circulation - I no longer get 'cold weather white finger, or cold feet much.
    Tanning - I used to go red and burn then fade to white/blue. Now I seldom use sunscreen and tan nicely.
    Hair and nails - all is very good :)
    Bone health - necessary.

We are all likely Vitamin D deficient. We live in northern climes and do not get enough sun. Mainly because it hides for much of the summer :) I've been taking at least 5000iu of vitD for about 2 years and the effects were noticeable after about 3-4 months.

Any questions - do ask :D

MX

Little glimpse into my life :)
    low carb recipe list - link on page 1 low carb support thread
    You don't have any control over what life throws at you.
    You DO have control over how you react :)
  • Mercy
    Options
    S'mee again!

Really enjoyed the veg stuff yesterday so did it again today :)

Tomato, celery, red pepper, cucumber, handful of parsley, half lemon juice. Reckon these are coming in at 3-4 carbs a pint :) nowt to worry about there then.

Very tasty but a funny colour :rotfl:
    Forgot to add coconut oil.

B - ham n cheese
    L - turkey, bacon veg stew
    T - above smoothie

Adding up my carb intake today I make it about 8g carb ingested so far.

Think I may have been under doing carbs as this represents a high carb day for me :)

So I'm of a mind to try a chocolate milk shake. 16.5g carb. No sweeteners, lots of nice things.

200ml FF goats milk
    100ml double cream
    50g coconut cream sachet
    1.5 tablespoons cocoa
    3 tablespoons ground almonds
    1 small banana (100g)
    Vanilla essence

Warm milk and coconut cream, blend first.
    Add rest
    Blend until smooth
    Add ice and blend again.

Carb count is for 1/2 above. Will be saving half for tomorrow.

Have made this once before and a full one was gut busting. Lots of good fats and some protein. Really creamy and sweet enough without any added anything - for me anyway.

Think I could get to like this :)

MX
  • Mercy
    edited 1 February 2012 at 8:59PM
    Options
    Little note to all who eat porridge

It is relatively high in carbs compared to other things which take just as long to make.

For example

Take a (previously) squashed boiled egg mixed with mayo and cheese then spread on flax bread and pop under the grill for a minute.

Mix half n half ground almonds with ground flax add cream and sprinkle with frozen berries allow to thicken - go for a wash then come back - tasty (weetabix souped up?)

Scrambled eggs on flax or other lc bread

Left over chicken shredded (previously?) sprinkled with cheese and grilled munched down with mayo and maybe also on lc bread or with a tomato.

Omlette made with all good things the night before. when you do it mix every thing in a measuring jug until it is very stiff, just keep adding stuff. Add all the things you like. Cook it like a spanish one - flat in the pan. When nearly done (give some time under the grill to set properly, I alternate between grill n stove top) use spatula to cut into 'pizza' slices. Eat some it's good. Allow rest to cool and then store in container in fridge. For breakfast? Yes! with mayo and whatever - olives are good.

You may notice a theme emerging here. PREPARATION! If it's already there it is automatically an option.

I can't eat till I've been up for at least an hour so I take mine with me. Making more time in a morn for Breakfast is a good idea but you could just spend that extra time feeling smug cos your breakfast is already ready :rotfl:

I'm not just a LC crusader I have a real problem with porridge. It only kept me full for about 2 hrs and then I was starving. They lie, The porridge sellers. It's just instant blood sugar spike then hunger. At least for me. I'm at least as annoyed with myself for doing porridge for so long as I am with them for telling me it was a good idea. Hrumph!

MX
  • nuttybabe
    nuttybabe Posts: 2,299 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Mercy, I think you are right. i need to be more organised. i am liking the omlettee idea and having a slice of that on a morning. and i think i could warm that up in a toaster bag in the toaster. :D
  • Mercy
    Options
    nuttybabe wrote: »
    Thanks Mercy, I think you are right. i need to be more organised. i am liking the omlettee idea and having a slice of that on a morning. and i think i could warm that up in a toaster bag in the toaster. :D

I put chillis in mine - just a few. Do like it for breakfast. Got a great big 24in pan so get about 1 eve meal and 2 breakfasts out of it. Or 1 meal and 1 lunch :) Travels well and will keep for 3 days in fridge if not using already cooked chiken. In that case I let it last 2 days max.

YUM, gotta make one o them soon :)

MX
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    mercy :T some great ideas there i like the 'souped up weetabix ' idea:T

my vital wheat flour hasnt arrived yet :( but it doesnt matter cos ive just been eating carp :o
    i need to get lcarbing and stick to it ( i get thrown off course too easily as i comfort eat when stressed :cool:)
    and [EMAIL="bu@@er"]bu@@er[/EMAIL] me i have put about 3lbs on in a day and a half :eek:

oh well tomorrow is another day
  • Mercy
    Options
    sistercas wrote: »
    mercy :T some great ideas there i like the 'souped up weetabix ' idea:T

my vital wheat flour hasnt arrived yet :( but it doesnt matter cos ive just been eating carp :o
    i need to get lcarbing and stick to it ( i get thrown off course too easily as i comfort eat when stressed :cool:)
    and [EMAIL="bu@@er"]bu@@er[/EMAIL] me i have put about 3lbs on in a day and a half :eek:

oh well tomorrow is another day

Hey sweetie!

Once again the trick is to anticipate yourself and have things ready for your comfort eating ways.

Low carb almond biscuits spread with ff cream cheese and topped with a little cranberry or other lc jam feel very rich and cheesecakey.

Crisps made of cheese and herbs can satisfy a savoury craving.

Just get to know yourself and have something you really like in the fridge.

MX
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure