Low-carb diets support thread

Options

Comments

• Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,094 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning LCers.

Had a great couple of days and kept to my own personal restrictions.

This morning I have two left over sausages to eat. Lunch will be last piece of cauli cheese thingy and evening meal will probably be some carrot soup (I put oat bran in it to thicken it a bit).

The only supplements I take are high dose Vit D3 and Vit B complex. The B vit gives my energy a boost (at least that's my finding) and the D3 is cos of the lack of sunlight in our northern climes.

Right - have to get off to work, got piles and piles and piles to do so the pressure is on. I love pressure but need to ease it off slightly!
  • DEBTMONKEY1A
    Options
    Sorry not been posting....been to Chambery in France to see GF'S family. Was a bit worried about this due to carbs etc...but GF did tell them about our way of eating. Took homemade flax/almond bread though (!).

All fairly fine...had a very small slice of apple tart & a v. small slice of fruit flan & GF'S sister did a quiche-gluten free. Obviously carbs in this but pastry very very thin-& when combined with the cheese/eggs I guess it didn't do any harm. ketostix pink -light purple all the way.

Overall-on pm after return-a gain of 0.1kg & GF 0.3-NOTHING REALLY-so pleased with that.

bodyfat % now 22.7%-not got full printout as out of paper (which is annoying as like the fat mass figures etc). Bought some new scales (salter) which seem v.good. Steady decrease past couple of days-now 87 kgs. Lowest recently was 86.2 & about 4 1/2 weeks ago it was 85.3kgs-although this was on my old cheap scales (!). I feel thinner & I hope AT LAST my dtored water in fat cells is going...interestingly my total body water weight was 49.kg on 14/1 & 49.6 kg on 26/1. Hope this is now a sign of general trend downwards on scales.

I'm SURE if i didn't indulge at weekends on vodka & have the odd curry takeout with one chapatti each it'd be quicker...but what other way of eating allows you to lose a pound a week, feel better AND indulge?

When someones made the afore-mentioned bread (mercy/nuttybabe/ Can't remember who ordered it?)-pls let me know how it tastes & if it TOASTS! http://www.low-carb.org.uk/recipes/bread/gabis/ ....

Have a good day all!

P.S.Lidl Burwell (begins with a B) cream of mushroom soup-1/2 can low carbish...around 7.8 gms? Also...

COLMANS 'roast in a bag' spice mixes-8-9 gms carbs for whole pack-just pop in cheap frozen (thawed!) drumsticks -tie bag up-shake & roast. very very tender...bbq is mega-still to try lemon & garlic one.
  • beanrua
    beanrua Posts: 407 Forumite
    Options
    Mornin all,
    Freezing here so maybe the shivering will help to shift a few lbs. Very interesting reading re supplements. It's inspiring to read how so many of you are managing on lc and also leading massively busy lives - well done. Sticking to lc as well as I can - and have stayed off the wine since Sunday - leading to a loss of 3 lbs.
    b -porridge
    l - tomato soup
    d - lentil loaf with cauli cheese
    snacks lc bread sandwich - if needed.
    Tulsi Brahmi tea instead of coffee as much as possible. Increase water intake.
    Treat the Earth well,
    It was not given to you by your parents,
    It was loaned to you by your children.
    Masai proverb
  • murphydog999
    Options
    newleaf wrote: »
    With regard to consulting a 'professional' though, I disagree. The party line in the UK is that we should all be eating low fat and high carbs, which of course is what got us into this mess in the first place, and you'll struggle to find any professional who will support you on a low carb diet. Just because a person is 'a professional' doesn't mean they're right - and I speak as a registered nurse of 30+ years. I am often amazed by the rubbish spouted by my professional colleagues (including many doctors), usually quoting 'NICE guidelines' by way of defence. Do your own research by all means, but draw your own conclusions.

I agree that the party line in this country is completely wrong regarding the balance of food, but that has nothing to do with vitamin and mineral intake. A simple analysis by a nutritionist, or similar, will tell you from your usual diet whether you have anything to be concerned about.

My roots come from the fitness industry and I find 'professionals' in this field more open-minded, me included, as I follow low-carb principles myself.

One of the recipes on here recently came from another personal trainer's website who advocates the paleo style of eating, so there are people out there that are more researched. In fact the 40/40/20 - 20 being carbs - food balance is now gaining wider acceptance in these circles.

Supplements cost a fortune, money wasted if you are guessing about your health, a dietary analysis may cost approx £30-50, the maths speak for themselves, let alone the medical implications if you are on other medication.
  • nuttybabe
    nuttybabe Posts: 2,299 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya

Hannoja - well done on losing 4lbs.

its really interesting to see what vitamins people take. i dont take anything although i used to take glocosamine (sp) and really noticed when i stopped taking it. need to get some more. but other than that i dont take any vitamins. but i do feel i am eating alot more healthy now and have loads more veg than before.

I got some jam today that is lower than my other one. the one i have been using is 60g per 100 and the new one is 40g per 100. i will be looking out for an even lower one though. :p

Today I have had

b - oopsie with butter and jam (managed not to burn it today! :D)
    l - mince and veg with cheese
    t - low carb sauages with tomatoes and cauli mash with cheese

not had any snacks as i have been busy all day. but alos not had much to drink.
  • Mercy
    Mercy Posts: 1,733 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 February 2012 at 8:47PM
    Options
    Hi all!

After all my clanking on about breakfast last night I awoke to find I had nothing ready for me! :rotfl:

So I boiled some eggs. wrapped 2 warm ones against my brie and all was lovely when I ate it :)

Lunch was the usual stew
    T was a massive bowl of broccoli and leek with 2 sliced sausies all sauted in cream cheese and a bit of grated cheddar. Lots of black pepper :)

Didn't fancy the green smoothie tonight, wanted something warm :)

Sweet dreams everyone!

MX

PS didnt make the choc shake, just wasn't hungry afterall :) Will likely try it again over the weekend.
    low carb recipe list - link on page 1 low carb support thread
    You don't have any control over what life throws at you.
    You DO have control over how you react :)
  • newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I agree that the party line in this country is completely wrong regarding the balance of food, but that has nothing to do with vitamin and mineral intake.

Ah, but it does. Because vitamins and minerals are consumed in more limited amounts due to our avoidance of fruits & certain (more carby) vegetables, and then depleted by increased water intake as advocated for LC eaters.
    If a person is experiencing muscle cramps or restless legs, for example, that is a clear sign that certain minerals are lacking.
    Once you mention to a health professional that you have these symptoms on your LC diet they will immediately take up the aforementioned party line - without actually knowing very much about it.
    As for Vitamin D3, there has been so much about this in the news recently, it is even becoming obvious to 'professionals' that most of the UK population is deficient!
    I don't wish to argue with you , as I believe we are actually singing from the same hymn sheet. Just saying I think people are capable of doing the research themselves and taking from it the info they need to make their own decisions on supplementation.
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,094 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Another good day at Gers Towers.

Have also made a huge pot of BNS and red pepper soup with oat bran in to thicken. That'll keep me going for about 5 days worth of lunch. As I try to eat such a low low carb diet I reckon I can carry the carbs in the soup. Will add a dollop of sour cream to each bowlful. Also roasted some chicken pieces for adding to stir fry veggies at night.

Hope all is well.
  • mazzers
    mazzers Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Options
    Ooh red pepper soup, sounds lovely, recipe please :)

DM, my latest loaf is the one from your link, I used to make it some time ago but been trying the lower carb ones, it's a much better consistency, more like real bread due to the oat flour and it toasts ok, wont be making the 'bath sponge' (my sons description when he stole some) bread again, lower carb or not!

Am doing so well in work but failing a bit when i get home.. ah well, i'm halfway there :o
  • murphydog999
    Options
    I've done a little experiment. Using Mercy's last food list (I hope you don't mind Mercy?) I've estimated on volume of items and worked out the nutritional value, what I haven't included is the veg with the turkey and bacon (as it's not mentioned) and everything else (apart from the amount of ingredients that are actually listed) is around portion size.

Protein *173% of RDA
    Vit A *115%
    Vit B6 *119%
    Vit B12 *91%
    Vit C 282%
    Vit D *11% (2 eggs added would be 28%)
    Vit E *82%
    Calcium *93%
    Copper *159%
    Iron *61%
    Magnesium *100%
    Manganese *145%
    Niacin *101%
    B5 *61%
    Phosporous *184%
    Riboflavin *136%
    Selenium *126%
    Thiamin 71%
    Zinc *121%
    Potassium *85%

The balance is 16% carbs / protein 23% / fat 61%

Of course this is estimated, but the extra veg would make this even better.

The mainstay of many low-carb diet, eggs would boost 17 of the above even more, noted with a *

If these type of ingredients are used on a regular basis you can see how supplements are not required - even on a low-carb intake. By eating a varied diet, full of fresh produce, avoiding synthetic, processed products, cigarettes, too much alcohol, diet fizzy drinks etc, will avoid the need for supplements - I'm leaving Vit D out of this.

There is a fine line between losing weight with either restrictive calories, or a restrictive diet, and maintaining good health.

I hope this has been helpful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport