We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Low-carb diets support thread

Options

Comments

• sweetserendipity
    sweetserendipity Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Options
    Morning :hello:

What a change in the weather from yesterday, tis piddling down here :(

Oh well, polling day today so I'll be tootling along to vote later.

alias, that incident in Morrisons sounds a bit creepy :angry:

mazzers, the 'fat bloke in make-up' remark made me laugh!! :rotfl: Bet the shirt looks lovely on.

chika, not sure what plan you're following??

I'm having salmon in watercress sauce for dinner today (with veg) yum yum :D

Hope everyone well today :wave:
  • debtfreeatlonglast
    Options
    good morning everyone, i am back with (another!)question ... last year i was prescribed a slimming aid from doctors called orlistat which basically flushed out fat from your system when you ate fat laden food which was supposed to be avoided.. i have got about 2 weeks supply left, i go on holiday in 10 days, sure you can see where this is going. was just thinking that as i am now following lc/high fat diet these might help shift a few more pounds more quickly in time for hols or am i being stupid???... in theory it sounds like it could work but obviously i must have a few reservations or i would not be seeking out opinions, would this confuse my body too much, undo any weight loss etc?..any opinions/theorys/knowledge welcomed and gratefully recieved. thank you.
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    debtfree.......I too had orlistat prescribed at one point and had some left when I started low carbing. It was my experience that taking the orlistat had a backfire effect on me in that my body needed the fat that was being consumed and weight was coming off but as soon as I took the orlistat as well, the weight loss slowed.

Tink I think it was, (previous poster on a previous low carb thread) made a good post about the body needing fat and that those who were struggling to lose should consider increasing their fat intake a little.

Anyway, I stopped taking the orlistat and things started moving again. Bit ironic really.

I have no idea if my experience would be typical or just unique to me. It's really up to you whether you try it or not, as I already said, me being me meant I had to try it. :D
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • sweetserendipity
    sweetserendipity Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Options
    debtfree, when you say flushed out fat from your system, does it mean what I think it means, as in you poo it out?? :o It sounds awful & imo potentially dangerous if you're thinking of deliberately eating high fat to increase the effects of the orlistat. And are'nt you putting yourself at risk of oily diarrhoea?? Apologies if I've got that completely wrong, I have no personal experience of orlistat. I see alias has given you her experience of it, but I'm a crapper (no pun intended :rotfl:) & wouldn't even think about trying something like that.
  • debtfreeatlonglast
    Options
    hi sweets, yes you are right, thats how orlistat works lol, have decided to take yours and mazzers advice and not take them, kinda thought it would be the wrong thing to do but needed it confirmed. am feeling better about hol now, just had a long clothes- trying -on session and a few items are definately looser on me and are fitting better ... just wish i had started this lc diet a bit earlier (never happy lol)
  • debtfreeatlonglast
    Options
    also on the advice of alias, sorry should have said in last post..thanks to you all for your advice.
  • aliasojo
    Options
    Well I think my not eating much is coming home to roost now. I've felt fine up until today and now I just feel weak. The muscles in my arms were aching trying to hold the hair dryer up today. That's clearly not good so I'm trying to shove down some chicken and mayo at the moment. I'm supposed to be hill walking on Sat so am a wee bit worried I'll not be able to go far, but food just makes me feel sick at the minute. :(

I think our bodies were programmed wrongly when we were made, silly system really, we should just have had a 'dump' button where we can jettison x amount of fat. :rotfl:
  • Eric_Pisch
    Eric_Pisch Posts: 8,720 Forumite
    Options
    aliasojo wrote: »
    Well I think my not eating much is coming home to roost now. I've felt fine up until today and now I just feel weak. The muscles in my arms were aching trying to hold the hair dryer up today. That's clearly not good so I'm trying to shove down some chicken and mayo at the moment. I'm supposed to be hill walking on Sat so am a wee bit worried I'll not be able to go far, but food just makes me feel sick at the minute. :(

I think our bodies were programmed wrongly when we were made, silly system really, we should just have had a 'dump' button where we can jettison x amount of fat. :rotfl:

staying out of starvation mode is a nightmare ...

i like the jettison weight button, where can i get one :j
  • aliasojo
    Options
    Eric_Pisch wrote: »
    i like the jettison weight button, where can i get one :j

Right here....it's the green one just above the one that switches the lipo machine on. :D

SM70.jpg
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    morning :D

Alias I would love a fat jettison button - how fab would that be

weighed myself this morning and I have lost 2 and half stone since xmas :j ( still a way to go though :o) but I am really pleased my body fat has gone down by 8% :j
    I joined the gym a month ago and I think thats helping , I did an hours cardio last night and 1/2 hr resistance training

the only down side with icing is I am fed up with eggs for breakfast , I have had 2 lc crackers with butter and cheese this morning but I dont know if that will fill me till lunchtime
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport