Low-carb diets support thread

Options

Comments

• ciderwithrosie_2
    ciderwithrosie_2 Posts: 3,707 Forumite
    Options
    Eric_Pisch wrote: »
    ok LC experts out there

I bought a cheap burger press and just realised i have no idea how to make them

I assume it involves lean mince, onions and herbs but how do you get it to bind together?

oh im allergic to eggs

Not really lean mince, you need a bit of fat in it, to aid the binding together process (as you can't use egg) and to keep your burgers juicy - otherwise they'll be dry and tough. Keep 'squidging' it to help break down the meat fibres. Season well as plain mince is a bit bland.

regards CWR
    Over futile odds
    And laughed at by the gods
    And now the final frame
    Love is a losing game
  • ciderwithrosie_2
    ciderwithrosie_2 Posts: 3,707 Forumite
    Options
    Well I just can't seem to get on with the Cambridge diet this time around, so I'm hovering around low carbing again. Definitely had a low carb day today - no breakfast, but brie and salad for lunch and roast chicken, sour cream and chive dip and purple sprouting broccoli for tea. Just off to drink some more water. I do enjoy my low carb food but my biggest success was 8 years ago when I lost 2st 7lbs in 4 months and I'm not very patient.

regards CWR
    Over futile odds
    And laughed at by the gods
    And now the final frame
    Love is a losing game
  • mazzers
    mazzers Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    edited 4 May 2010 at 10:48PM
    Options
    sarahs999 wrote: »
    Well done Mazzers for making a decision. Maybe you need to hunt out some new recipes to tickle your tastebuds again?

Weight loss going well here. As of this morning I am officially not VERY fat any more, just fat. Hurrah!

Hoooray for being fat :j

I have been very good, surprising how easy it is when you're motivated.

Had a huge tuna salad in the canteen for £1.30, not worth making it at that price, everyone was fancying it and not a carb in sight.... well, a few maybe ;)

Had loads of reductions tonight after work, basil, mango, cabbage, kidney beans, potatoes and punnets of tomatoes, all 10p, cooked chickens also half price :)

Got loads of lc food now so no excuse, and i havent craved chocolate at all :)

Tesco is selling 90% cocoa choc now too.

Will be doing some cooking tomorrow, pasta sauces from the toms and basil, and things to grab from the fridge.

Oh and plain mince is quite tasteless, i make spicy ones with chilli, cumin and coriander powder, and i never use anything to bind them, just a good squidge as advised.
  • Eric_Pisch
    Eric_Pisch Posts: 8,720 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 May 2010 at 6:26AM
    Options
    Not really lean mince, you need a bit of fat in it, to aid the binding together process (as you can't use egg) and to keep your burgers juicy - otherwise they'll be dry and tough. Keep 'squidging' it to help break down the meat fibres. Season well as plain mince is a bit bland.

regards CWR

thanks

so its important to need it / squidge it up a bit :j

could i add some rapeseed oil to help bind it and keep it moist?
  • Eric_Pisch
    Eric_Pisch Posts: 8,720 Forumite
    Options
    mazzers wrote: »
    Hoooray for being fat :j

I have been very good, surprising how easy it is when you're motivated.

Had a huge tuna salad in the canteen for £1.30, not worth making it at that price, everyone was fancying it and not a carb in sight.... well, a few maybe ;)

Had loads of reductions tonight after work, basil, mango, cabbage, kidney beans, potatoes and punnets of tomatoes, all 10p, cooked chickens also half price :)

Got loads of lc food now so no excuse, and i havent craved chocolate at all :)

Tesco is selling 90% cocoa choc now too.

Will be doing some cooking tomorrow, pasta sauces from the toms and basil, and things to grab from the fridge.

Oh and plain mince is quite tasteless, i make spicy ones with chilli, cumin and coriander powder, and i never use anything to bind them, just a good squidge as advised.

its great your back on track and feeling better about it :T:T:T

some great bargains too :j

i was going to experiment with italian herbs and maybe some chopped walnuts, never had a walnut burger, lots of healthy oils :j
  • mazzers
    Options
    Morning folks, it's shaping up to be a nice sunny day, with very little cloud :)

I offered to do overtime if they're short staffed, so am hoping i dont get called in.

I want to fill the fridge with lc food, today will prob be difficult but once it's over i'll be fine, after day two it's plain sailing for me :)
    As long as i dont go out with friends for a meal, which usually b*ggers up everything.
  • sweetserendipity
    sweetserendipity Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Options
    Morning :hello:

Looking like a nice morning here too. Off for a walk along the beach later :D

mazzers, good luck with getting back into lcing again, glad you've made a decision, I take it you didn't fancy the look of my low-gi menu?! :rotfl:

Have a good day everyone :wave:
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    Options
    Eric_Pisch wrote: »
    i was going to experiment with italian herbs and maybe some chopped walnuts, never had a walnut burger, lots of healthy oils :j

Quite fancy the idea of including chopped walnuts, let us know if it works out ok?
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • mazzers
    Options
    Morning :hello:

Looking like a nice morning here too. Off for a walk along the beach later :D

mazzers, good luck with getting back into lcing again, glad you've made a decision, I take it you didn't fancy the look of my low-gi menu?! :rotfl:

Have a good day everyone :wave:

Oh yes, i did fancy it, right up my street but i tried low gi over a year ago (bought the Greek doctors diet book) stuck to it religiously as i'm a nutty, seedy kinda gal ( no comment from Alias on that one plz :p ) but i didnt lose a single ounce in a month, too hi carb for me :(

Thankfully, i haven't been called into work so it's a cookery day :j
  • sarahs999
    sarahs999 Posts: 3,751 Forumite
    Options
    Morning peeps. Hope you're all enjoyinhg the sunshine - how come you all get to be outside? Don't you have jobs to go to? Or are you all outdoor workers (in which case how come you're always on here?).

HUsband did a double take last night as I was gettin gundressed for bed; my lower tummy is significantly smaller after only 12 days on this diet. When I stretch my arms up in the air it looks almost like a normal person's stomach. Quite exciting. I'm going to a friend's gig on Monday and severael friends will be there I haven't seen for a few months; am hoping they'll notice too!

Walnuts in burgers are nice though I've only had them in veggie burgers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure