We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Low-carb diets support thread

Options

Comments

• fruitycar
    Options
    I've no avocados left for my smoothie and I've put a leetle too much ginger in my green juice :eek: it's zingy !
  • newcook
    newcook Posts: 5,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    linni wrote: »
    Ooh thanks mazzers, I'm going to have a go at making it.

Newcook - to make the creamy peppercorn sauce I put a tub of Philli in a pan and mixed it with some beef stock, a little at a time, until it is as thick or as runny as you like it, and then ground loads of peppercorn into it, put on a low heat for a few minutes. You can add about a teaspoon of brown sugar if you want it sweeter but it's not very lc so I didn't bother. It was a case of trial and error!

Todays menu: yoghurt, lc crispbreads & philli, brocolli and cheese. Salad for snacks.

Ooooh!!! that sounds lush!!! I think I will prefer that than a tiny bit of proper gravy!!!
  • mazzers
    mazzers Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Options
    linni wrote: »
    Ooh thanks mazzers, I'm going to have a go at making it.

Newcook - to make the creamy peppercorn sauce I put a tub of Philli in a pan and mixed it with some beef stock, a little at a time, until it is as thick or as runny as you like it, and then ground loads of peppercorn into it, put on a low heat for a few minutes. You can add about a teaspoon of brown sugar if you want it sweeter but it's not very lc so I didn't bother. It was a case of trial and error!

Todays menu: yoghurt, lc crispbreads & philli, brocolli and cheese. Salad for snacks.

Mmm, think i'll have a go at that too ;)
  • mazzers
    mazzers Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Options
    I've found one solitary sirloin in the freezer so i'm having that with pepper sauce.. yum

The boys can make their own, sod em, they do bugga all, i've been painting again, plenty in freezer.
    Off over friends for a glass of wine first tho, gawd i hope it doesn't ruin my efforts.

See you later.
  • ~daisy~_2
    ~daisy~_2 Posts: 2,566 Forumite
    Options
    hi all - been a lil while :)

my FB friends amongst you know the details but in a nutshell for some of the posters i dont know yet - my hub had a stroke out of the blue 4 weeks ago today however received the right treatment very quickly and started making an amazing recovery and was discharged with community rehab just 2 weeks later
    however just a few days later he was back in hospital with a huge pulmonary embolism and was just discharged on monday
    we are now getting back to the rehab and carrying on .....

so needless to say my diet has completely gone to pot - not hungry during the day whilst at the hospital coming home around 8 or 9 pm having a little wine most nights then eating all the wrong things - bread crisps chips pizza pasta bluerghh....

my head isnt really in the right place to deal with my eating yet but i wanted to let you know i cooked Mercys chicken korma - but i kinda tweaked it - not totally intentionally but just wanted to show how easily things can be changed for the not so confident cooks amongst us
    so here goes
    • used mushrooms and spring onions - didnt have leek or celery
    • used balti paste - didnt want it to be to hot with madras paste
    • used 1 big fat green chilli - plenty hot enough for us
    • used 1 sachet of creamed coconut - had in the cupboard for simply yonks not knowing what to do with it
    it was really very nice and really easy to do - think it would be awesome with spinach wilted in instead of the green beans too
    did have it with a naan bread tho....oops

so thats it really - i will hopefully be posting a little more now things should be returning to normal ish kinda sorta !!

mwah mwah lovelies xxxx
    :j MFi3 wannabee :j
    mortgage owing 04.07 £36,000
    mortgage owing 07.10 £0 !!!!
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Aw Daisy I didn't know. I'm so sorry things haven't been going well for your OH and you. Fingers crossed it's all onwards and upwards for you both now.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • Always_Harassed
    Options
    Daisy hope things keep improving for you. You'll be able to return to lc later just focus on your hub and yourself just now.
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Daisy what a terrible time you have both had, I'm glad OH is back at home, and look forward to you posting 'cos I need all the help I can get lol

not been too bad today

lunch: salami cheese tomato and coleslaw
    tea: burger, cheese ,swede cut into chunks tossed in oil and cooked in the oven ( not sure of the carbs for the swede) and salad

also made gers strawberry dessert but not had any as it hasnt set yet :rotfl:
  • Mercy
    Mercy Posts: 1,733 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ~daisy~ wrote: »
    hi all - been a lil while :)
    my head isnt really in the right place to deal with my eating yet but i wanted to let you know i cooked Mercys chicken korma - but i kinda tweaked it - not totally intentionally but just wanted to show how easily things can be changed for the not so confident cooks amongst us
    so here goes
    • used mushrooms and spring onions - didnt have leek or celery
    • used balti paste - didnt want it to be to hot with madras paste
    • used 1 big fat green chilli - plenty hot enough for us
    • used 1 sachet of creamed coconut - had in the cupboard for simply yonks not knowing what to do with it
    it was really very nice and really easy to do - think it would be awesome with spinach wilted in instead of the green beans too
    did have it with a naan bread tho....oops

so thats it really - i will hopefully be posting a little more now things should be returning to normal ish kinda sorta !!

mwah mwah lovelies xxxx

Hi Sweetie, hope all goes well for Cliff. Glad you still had the time to post such a useful thought.

It's not that any recipe is set in stone, we should all be able to make adjustments more to our taste. The khorma recipe I posted was my most recent but it does tend to be a little different every time. Fiddle around with things and make em how you want em to be, then post any truly wondrous discoveries!

Big love to you Daisy, you don't worry about the diet, should imagine the stress will take care of any excesses. What you must know is that we love you and are always here. We want the best possible outcome for you and yours. All good (and slacking) low carbers are right behind you and sending good thoughts, I'm sure.

MWAH XXXXX

Mxxx
    low carb recipe list - link on page 1 low carb support thread
    You don't have any control over what life throws at you.
    You DO have control over how you react :)
  • Mercy
    Mercy Posts: 1,733 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 February 2010 at 10:55PM
    Options
    And Today's food was
    B - 2x crispbreads n cheddar (really nice as the mature cheese gets the juices flowing) with small pork scratching for break
    L - chicken khorma on sqashed cauli
    D - chicken drumsticks, mayo and salad plus 2x crispbreads

Am really appreciating the crispbread effect :) You must drink plenty of water though. S'pose this counts anyway.

DRINK WATER ANYWAY :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Keep up your hydration as the liver needs it to take away the FAT. Nuff said ;)

Big love and very sweet dreams to all low carbers!

MXXX
    low carb recipe list - link on page 1 low carb support thread
    You don't have any control over what life throws at you.
    You DO have control over how you react :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure