We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Low-carb diets support thread

Options

Comments

• gunsandbanjos
    gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    sistercas wrote: »
    I bought some coconut oil today from Holland and barrett as they still have their buy one get one half price, only thing is I dont know what to do with it :o

do I eat it straight from the tub or melt it or what ???

Lol, you can eat it straight from the tub if you want:T Or you can use it to cook with as you would a normal oil. Some people take it in the morning in a little warm water.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • Mercy
    Mercy Posts: 1,733 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello!

Well done mazz on loss! Nice one hunnigirl!

alias - Try chicken drumsticks dipped in mayo for brekkie, tis nice.

sweets - scary drive home! Glad the food was good :)

Yesterday food
    B - 2 x crispbreads n cheddar, pork scratchings
    L - veg n gammon stoo
    D - 2x crispbreads topped with sardines in tomato, salad

Today food
    B - 2x crispbread with cheddar, pork scratchings
    L - veg n gammon stoo
    D - 2x crispbreads topped with cream cheese, 2 chicken drumsticks and salad

Been hitting the bran but feel I need it as congested now bug has gone from my system :rotfl:

Not really thinking to much about food at mo, bit busy :D

Sweet dreams to all!

MXXX
    low carb recipe list - link on page 1 low carb support thread
    You don't have any control over what life throws at you.
    You DO have control over how you react :)
  • fruitycar
    Options
    aliasojo wrote: »
    What can I have for breakfast that doesn't involve eggs? I need inspiration. :(

I sometimes have a green smoothie: juice 2 sticks celery 1/2 an apple,
    a chunk cucumber bit of root ginger , slice of lime/lemon or add juice from bottle, and then whizz with half an avocado. about 9-12 gms carb I estimate.
  • mazzers
    mazzers Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all :D

Got much more energy now i've ditched the carbs and am burning fat for fuel (got a neverending supply )

Sausage, fried egg and crispbread for brekkie
    Tuna/mayo salad for lunch
    Lamb chops and creamy spinach for dinner
    2 squares of nutty choc with a cuppa too.

Think the high BG was making me so tired.
    Cant believe how focussed i am again :)

A lie on in the morning so type quietly when you get up please ;)
  • sweetserendipity
    Options
    sistercas wrote: »
    I always want something sweet after and I am getting fed up of sf jelly any ideas?

Mercy's chocolate buns?? Really nice with cream/made into tiramisu
    mazzers' strawberry tarts??
    Both recipes should be one page 1 - tried, tested & definitely thumbs up from me!! :D
    mazzers wrote: »
    Cant believe how focussed i am again :)QUOTE]

No, me neither!! :p:rotfl:

Morning folks,

Well, my high-carb feeding frenzy continues with fish & chips in Whitby planned for today!! :o
    Feeling extremely carbed out & feel like I'm just [STRIKE]over[/STRIKE] eating for the sake of it now.
    Got some awful 'grounds for divorce' worthy symptoms as well, iykwim!! :rotfl: Have decided that chocolate is really bad for my guts, thinking maybe I'm allergic, seriously!! :o

Anyway, enough of that, you can always rely on me to lower the tone!! :rotfl:

See you good lcers later :wave:
  • Always_Harassed
    Options
    sweetserendipity - I think they have changed the way they make chocolate. Both my daughter and myself had to stop eating one brand and I think it is due to the chemicals they put in when they make it.

Breakfast suggestions how about kippers or rice free kedgeree. Can make the kedgeree the night before and eat it cold or just pop it in the microwave. It is basically just a stir fry. I put a lot of mushrooms in to make up for the lack of rice. Fry small onion and loads of mushrooms with some yellow fish. Can added hard boiled egg cut up just before serving and make moist by either adding some cream or an egg and mix up.
  • mazzers
    edited 17 February 2010 at 10:05AM
    Options
    Ooh AH, i forgot about kippers. that'll be a nice change, or boiled smoked haddock, we used to have that when i was very young, on a Sunday morning sometimes (if we were flush) if not, it was 'salt fish', which sounds and looked mingin, twas dried, salted white fish that looked like grey cardboard, but when soaked overnight, then boiled was similar to the haddock.. was lovely (suppose in a similar vein to salty smoked bacon on a Sunday morning)

Anyhoo, enough about my seafaring youth, i have lost another lb :j
    Couldn't resist weighing again, but must put a stop to it now or i'll get disappointed.

Haven't given up milk this time, just wasn't prepared to, so have been buying the creamy Channel Island stuff, which has the same carbs as other milk but less is needed as it's so thick and creamy:)
    Just gotta stop youngest from whooshing it down his neck now * rolls eyes*
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Mercy's chocolate buns?? Really nice with cream/made into tiramisu
    mazzers' strawberry tarts??
    Both recipes should be one page 1 - tried, tested & definitely thumbs up from me!! :D

thanks will defo try these :D

Got some awful 'grounds for divorce' worthy symptoms as well, iykwim!! :rotfl: Have decided that chocolate is really bad for my guts,

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    I find sugar free stuff does that to me :o:rotfl:

Mazzers you are doing so well :T I seem to have completely lost my focus at the moment - and it makes me feel carp, no energy and I have gained a lb and a half :eek:

breakfast: fried eggs and bacon and lc crispbread
  • mazzers
    edited 17 February 2010 at 1:06PM
    Options
    I just made a very nice quick (and paler coloured) alternative to flaxbread, which i filled with bacon and it was fab.

I beaten egg with slightly less than1/4 cup water added
    1/4 cup ground flax
    1/4 cup ground almonds and soya flour mixed, approx 1/8 cup of each
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    Tblspn melted butter
    pinch salt

I have a plastic container 11"x3.5" designed for storing bacon, this was ideal as it made a long thin slice which when folded over made a great sandwich.

Melt the butter in the container, add half the mix, spread as smoothly as possible, (it will be very thinly spread) and micro for a few mins until set, whack it out onto a chopping board, it comes out easily.
    Cook other half for tomorrow :)

You could use a smaller container and slice through but i find this difficult to do properly.
  • linni
    linni Posts: 1,480 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ooh thanks mazzers, I'm going to have a go at making it.

Newcook - to make the creamy peppercorn sauce I put a tub of Philli in a pan and mixed it with some beef stock, a little at a time, until it is as thick or as runny as you like it, and then ground loads of peppercorn into it, put on a low heat for a few minutes. You can add about a teaspoon of brown sugar if you want it sweeter but it's not very lc so I didn't bother. It was a case of trial and error!

Todays menu: yoghurt, lc crispbreads & philli, brocolli and cheese. Salad for snacks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure