We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Low-carb diets support thread

Options

Comments

• marrbett
    marrbett Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning :hello:

Welcome newbies :D

sister, hope the mouth is ok today :)

marrbett, did any of the hazelnut chocolate survive?? ;)

Stuse me, are you implying I might have eaten it all???How very dare you!!
    Lol, actually, the squares are quite big, so 1 (or2!!) did the job!!

Sheila, at least he's out of HDU, thats positive.
    Everyone else, have a good evening.xx
  • sweetserendipity
    sweetserendipity Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    edited 8 September 2012 at 8:25AM
    Options

Week 2 done & dusted & 4lbs lost :D I do feel like I worked hard for it this week though.

Didn't go to Whitby yesterday as a) I felt like carp & b) DD2 didn't want to go anyway (& would have had a face like a smacked backside if we had gone). Hubby obviously disappointed & now in a mood - oh joy - welcome to my world!! :(

alias, good luck with the hypnotherapy.

SHEILA, your Brother moving out from HDU is a step in the right direction.

Mercy, good luck with the juicing.

marrbett, I was obviously expecting you to do what I would do if I had a bar of hazelnut chocolate in the house - ie. eat the whole thing in one sitting!! :rotfl:

Meals for today:

B1 - greek yoghurt & flaxseed
    B2 - bacon, scramblies, vine tomato
    L - 2 buttered GG crispbreads with cheese savoury
    D - salmon, cauli, broc, sprouts, cheesy leeks

Exercise - walking & wall push-ups

Hope everyone has a good LC day :wave:
  • Mercy
    Mercy Posts: 1,733 Forumite
    edited 8 September 2012 at 10:32AM
    Options
    Lidl bargains this morning

half price large cucumber - 34p
    half price large celery head - 49p
    1kg nice tomatoes - £1.50
    fresh figs 49p each or 4 for £1

Guess who's been stocking up :rotfl:

Off to asda, had to pop home first as my bag was too heavy :D

Happy morning!

Mx
    low carb recipe list - link on page 1 low carb support thread
    You don't have any control over what life throws at you.
    You DO have control over how you react :)
  • andrewsmum
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Sheila I'm pleased your brother is off the HDU.

Mercy I have never been into juices as such, I like my food too much ;)

Welcome newbies :D

Well I just made some guacamole. I've never made it before because I'm not keen on avocados but this was lush, really nice. Here's the recipe if anyones interested......

Ingredients

4 mild chillies, finely chopped
    bunch coriander, chopped
    2 tomatoes, finely chopped
    salt, to taste
    1 onion, finely chopped
    ½ lime, juice only
    3 ripe avocados (I used 2 as thats all I had and it made loads)

In a pestle and mortar, pound the chillies, coriander, tomatoes, salt and onion to a fine paste.
    Add a little water and lime juice to make a looser mixture. Mash in the avocados. Serve.

I really would recomment this

Sheila I tried the fried chicken again last night but added sesame seeds to the parmesan, not sure it made any difference. I wonder if your friend dipped in flour before the egg though ?
  • Mercy
    Options
    Hi all!

It's been a day for shopping and walking :T Both of which I enjoy.

Called in at H&B where they have their 'buy one get one half price' thing going on and saved myself a few quid :)

Also in town and on the market. Got 2 mooli, some raw beetroot and lots of fresh herbs. Should really have called there last not first so have done some load bearing exercise by accident :rotfl:

Lovely day here so off for a bit of sun. :beer:

Mx
  • sweetserendipity
    Options

Quiet in here lately, where is everyone??

We ended up going to Whitby yesterday & did lots of walking & climbing up steps!! Anyone who knows Whitby will know there are a lot of steps!! :rotfl: Beautiful day though & I caught the sun :o Took a couple of GG crispbreads with cheese to snack on & a bottle of water. We stopped at a lovely hotel on the way back for a drink & sat outside in the sunshine, it has stunning coastal views - absolutely beautiful :D So, apart from an argument with DD2 (she blames me for all her problems - nice to know :(), it was a good day.

Meals for today:

B1 - greek yoghurt & flaxseed
    B2 - bacon, scramblies, vine tomato
    L - 2 buttered GG crispbreads with cheese savoury
    D - salmon?? cauli mash, green beans, cheesy leeks

I didn't have salmon yesterday as I thought hubby was going to get something to eat in Whitby so I put it back in the freezer as it was a 2-pack. I just had chicken again last night. I'm not sure I fancy salmon for Sunday dinner though so my menu might change today??

I've had extra greek yoghurt & flaxseed the last 2 nights as I've felt hungry & drained :( I'm not sure what's wrong, I felt great last week.

Anyway, enough waffle :o Hope everyone has a good LC day :wave:
  • SHEILA54
    SHEILA54 Posts: 1,813 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sweet - glad that you had a good time in Whitby. I have been really ratty and wanting to eat over the last couple of days but have managed to stay between 35 - 42 carbs. Hard though as I wanted to stuff anything in my face and just feel drained :D

Mercy - sounds like you had a good shopping day yesterday. How did the juice fast go?

I spoke to my brother last night on the phone and he sounds fine, apart from having a rotten headache. Still don't know if the op has worked but he is ok.

I will weigh today but know that I have lost as I had a sneek weigh mid week. It is what has spured me to keep going but I am not sure that I could keep to 30 carbs long term and admire those of you who do :T

Looking after DGD2 for 24 hours from this afternoon to tomorrow afternoon. She is 2, potty training, and hasn't been left for longer than a couple of hours before so I think that I will have my work cut out but it will be nice as well.

Have a good day everyone and make the most of the sun :)
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning :hello:We stopped at a lovely hotel on the way back for a drink & sat outside in the sunshine, it has stunning coastal views - absolutely beautiful :D So, apart from an argument with DD2 (she blames me for all her problems - nice to know :(), it was a good day.

Aw bless. Well at least you know she's a 'normal' young person then.

You know......no sense, feels full of 'woe is me' feelings, can't rationalise well so deals with things by deflecting onto others, yadda, yadda. :D

She'll grow and mature sweet, just hang in there. :D

Well I've been eating 'normally' recently, I've had wine, popcorn and half a bag of maltesers........and I've lost more weight. I don't get it.

I try to curb my eating and I suffer for it yet when I don't bother, I lose. I wish it was like this every week, lol. I'm not daft enough to think this will continue so I'm going to be good today.

I think I've decided I want a more 'average' diet, I'm fed up of always having to be concerned there will be suitable food available when I'm low carbing for instance and I'm fed up of feeling moody/irritable (which I'm now positive is linked). However I do think I fare better in other ways when my carb intake is lowered so I'm going to aim for normal eating but with opting for low carb choices, cutting out potatoes and bread for example.

I have no idea how it will all work out, cos I'm making it up as I go along. :rotfl: I've been analysing a lot over the last few days and I think I'm getting too hung up on the 'way' to lose weight rather than the weight itself if that makes sense? I get a bit fixated on one thing or another (whether it's low carb or low cal) then get upset or annoyed when it all goes wrong and that's when the brown stuff hits the fan. If I'm not following a specific way, then there's nothing to fall off, iyswim. Therefore no bad feelngs and no further comfort eating to console myself.

Of course, that all hinges on the hope that hypnoman can help me with the old 'moderation' thing. :D

I reserve the right to post again next week saying 'take me back my last post on the matter was all rubbish'. :rotfl:
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • Mercy
    Options
    Hello!

Sheila, I did well shopping yesterday and now have enough produce to open a market of my own :rotfl:

Will be 'consolidating' my haul today after I clean the fridge out. Got quite a few beetroot so they need scrubbing, trimming and drying properly so they'll keep. I've heard they're nice baked and will look into this.

I enjoyed the juice fast yesterday, so much so that i'm kinda doing a small one today too. Yesterday's was 24 hrs, broken by a lovely steak once I'd done my time. Today it's 16hrs so I'll have salmon steak over scrambled eggs at 12.

I think, on balance, that 24hrs may be a little long. I do plan to do it again if any interesting things occur over the next week.

Good to hear your brother is recovering.

Mx
  • Tiglath
    Tiglath Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Mercy - I've baked beetroots before and they're lovely. I do them with their skins on and then slip them off once cooked, otherwise I find they 'bleed' into everything.
    "Save £12k in 2019" #120 - £100,699.57/£100,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family