We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Low-carb diets support thread

Options

Comments

• dude0nvacation
    Options
    SHEILA54 wrote: »
    dudeOnvacation - yes sodas can stop people losing on a low carb diet
    There are different types of low carb diets with varying carb values so please can you tell us what you are trying to achieve?

Been between 60 to 68kg before but went up to almost 90kg. Would just like to get back that old, lean 68kg. Have eaten a lot of junk foods and been gulping a lot of sodas. On my early 30's now.
  • SHEILA54
    SHEILA54 Posts: 1,813 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi
    There are several different diets including the Atkins diet and others listed on page 1 of this thread. They can vary in the number of carbs allowed each day. Simplified, Atkins starts at 20 for 2 weeks and then you can increase by 5 carbs a week until you stop losing and then stay at that. There are 4 phases. I would suggest that you decide how strict you would like to be and how quickly you would like to lose weight. Look at the Atkins or Dukan websites to get some idea and then we can help you :)
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    sheila hows your brother?

sweet not sure about coconut oil but like castor oil i can imagine it can cause the trots

durham mim glad you have had a peaceful time

not eaten much so far today as ive been to the dentist and had 3 fillings :eek: all done now and feel fine ( and my numb mouth has finally stopped farting when i talk :o:rotfl:) , hoping thats the last of the dentist for a good while
  • Tiglath
    Tiglath Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I'm going to join in here. The only diet I've successfully lost weight on is Atkins, and I always feel great on it, probably because it means I stay off wheat. Once I'm able to eat properly again following my surgery, I'm going back to Induction - hopefully in a few days. PCOS and a now-underactive thyroid don't help, but those run in my family. I don't know if I'm menopausal as I had a hysterectomy a few years ago but left my ovaries, so I suspect it would take a bloodtest to tell. I currently weigh over 15 stone and would love to get down to 10 stone, so that's a third of my bodyweight to go, with a limited ability to exercise - it's going to be a long uphill struggle, but if I don't do it now in my forties, I'll be looking at deteriorating health for the rest of my life, and I can't bear the thought that now is the best I can hope to feel.
    "Save £12k in 2019" #120 - £100,699.57/£100,000
  • marrbett
    marrbett Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Tiglath, welcome to this lovely thread. Here is a place you will find support, humour, the odd poem(!), recipes, science, exercise advice and lots of love. I hope you recover quickly from your surgery.
    Maybe start slowly if you're recovering, just cut out grains and or sugar, then when you are feeling stronger, go for induction??

Anyway, my meals today:
    B-bacon, egg mushrooms
    L-salad, prosciutto, cheese, pine nuts and sunflower seeds
    D-Turkey in a mustard and cream sauce, with brocolli and cauliflower.
    What a good girl I've been today!!

I found a bar of dark chocolate with hazelnuts in waitrose today! May indulge a little this evening:EasterBun
  • welshmoneylover
    Options
    Hi sorry to butt in but are apples acceptable to eat on a low carb/gi diet? Here's my typical day, would love feedback

breakfast: porridge 2 sachets of quakers oats, made with half milk and water with a smidgen of sugar to taste

lunch: lean meat/ham with heaps of salady stuff covered with a good squirt of full fat mayo

evening meal: lean meat/fish with heaps of cooked veg, usually broccoli cauliflower some carrots, covered with another good squirt of mayo to make it tasty.

loads of water to drink and I exercise for about 40 mins a day by brisk walking. I may also have a piece of dark chocolate from aldi its about 85%.

I feel fab on this diet, not felt hungry once and my stomach isn't as bloated, not had alcohol either but this may change this weekend
    Be happy, it's the greatest wealth :)
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 September 2012 at 8:07PM
    Options
    Hi sorry to butt in but are apples acceptable to eat on a low carb/gi diet? Here's my typical day, would love feedback

breakfast: porridge 2 sachets of quakers oats, made with half milk and water with a smidgen of sugar to taste

lunch: lean meat/ham with heaps of salady stuff covered with a good squirt of full fat mayo

evening meal: lean meat/fish with heaps of cooked veg, usually broccoli cauliflower some carrots, covered with another good squirt of mayo to make it tasty.

loads of water to drink and I exercise for about 40 mins a day by brisk walking. I may also have a piece of dark chocolate from aldi its about 85%.

I feel fab on this diet, not felt hungry once and my stomach isn't as bloated, not had alcohol either but this may change this weekend

welcome :D

Personally I don't feel sugar has any place on a low carb diet, it being as full of carbs as you can get! I'm not to keen on the oats either, but that's because I can't cope with it, I'd be starving almost before I'd finished washing out the pan. Greek yogurt is more my thing. Berries give you more bang for your buck than apples in terms of nutrients. And there's no need to opt for the lean - if nothing else because some vitamins are only fat soluble and if you don't eat the fat you miss out on them! But if you're feeling good (and losing weight if that's your goal) then good on you, keep it going. :beer:
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • SHEILA54
    Options
    Hi

Welcome to any new to this thread :wave:

My brother is ok, thanks to those who asked, but he will find out today if the operation worked or not as they had a few problems.

I have been pretty good and stuck between 30 and 40 carbs since last weekend so I will weigh and see if it has worked.

Personally I only eat a few berries and canteloupe melon about once a fortnight or if I go out.

Thanks to those who mentioned the Total yogurt, I didn't realise that it is probiotic and it tastes good.

Have a good day everyone ;)
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fingers crossed Sheila. :)
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • SHEILA54
    Options
    Thanks alias - how are you today?