We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Low-carb diets support thread

Options

Comments

• murphydog999
    murphydog999 Posts: 1,600 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cherrypies - Well done on getting a job. You must be over the moon! Congrats..

Daska: That's so funny that your family are not noticing you mashing up cauliflour and passing it off as normal food.. lol.

Durham, so good to hear that you've lost 2.lb. It spurs me on.

After reading about your families and the different meals you all have to make, I feel i'm quite lucky its just me my husband and dog. I tend to eat the same as my husband but instead of the carb bit, i'll have yoghurt if its a curry, salad etc. Will start posting what I do with him foodwise. Someone might benefit.

I'm having a lovely day. Just lazying about. Had sheets up on line, but had to bring them back in as it keeps raining. No way am I going backwards and forwards. My sense of smell is returning, getting stronger. I am also noticing taste buds are stronger a bit. Teeth feel nice and clean. So far today food wise:

L: Ommelette made with cream cheese, stilton and brie and mushrooms and onions and red pepper. (just basically used up what I have in fridge at random. Was yummy. I added some herbs du provence to the mixture. Husband had the same but with 3 slices of bread ..

Snack: Can of smart price sardines 34 pence from Asda. Tastes the same as the more expensive brands... anyway, I found some cream cheese almost past its sell by date so I mashed the cream cheese into the sardines, added a bit of salt and a drop of chilli sauce.. and then I ate that with some carot batons I have in the fridge ( got a large bag for 20 pence the other night reduced)

Tonight, he is cooking, and we are having lamb curry. He's gong to have nan bread with his, but I will just have the lamb curry, with a bowl of yoghurt on the side. Might even grate some cucumber into the yoghurt.

I feel great. Moneysaving, stopped smoking and on diet and not forgetting.. have done a 20 min workout as well!

Waves to all. so glad that sweets is back L Cing.. ! YEa!

Woohoo! Go you girl :j :j :T
  • andrewsmum
    andrewsmum Posts: 335 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone, hope the weather is better for all of you than we hve had today.....rain, hail, thunder storms :eek:

Just a couple of ideas with ground flax seed that help if you're having trouble in the 'cough' toilet department ....... please excuse if the first one has been posted here before......

Flax porridge

2 dsp ground flaxseed
    1 dsp ground almonds
    few chopped nuts (if wanted)
    cinnamon to taste

Add boiling water and let stand so it thickens. I poured a little double cream on mine and it was yummy.

The next one I have been making 4 up at a time so I have deserts for 4 days. Its a variation of the 'cheesecake' I posted awhile back......

1 sugar free jelly sachet made up to 1 pint (or a bit less allowing for juice in berries)
    8 dsp ground flax
    4 dsp chopped nuts
    frozen berries

divide the flax into 4 pots (2dsp ea)
    add dsp chopped nuts to each
    top with frozen berries (or fresh)
    pour jelly over fruit etc

When set serve with yogurt or cream on top
  • SHEILA54
    SHEILA54 Posts: 1,813 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 August 2012 at 7:28AM
    Options
    andrewsmum - I have similar in that I have flax / seeds sprinkled on greek yogurt with a little sugar free jelly. Very nice :)

Jerry - sounds like you are doing really well.
    My son paid for the meal and I had asparagus with a poached egg hollandaise sauce, lamb shank with veg but I also had a small piece of bday cake and a Pimms which made me feel really heady.

My ex left me for another and moved to US 13 years ago. 3 years ago she chucked him out and he moved back. We are good friends but not together, if you know what I mean. What is the point in bad feeling, it only hurts you and those around you.
  • Mercy
    Mercy Posts: 1,733 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    SHEILA54 wrote: »
    What is the point in bad feeling, it only hurts you and those around you.

Never a truer word spoken. :T

May we all be this good even half the time. :A

Sheila - you are a star. A light in our lives. I'm not the only one here who thinks of you as the voice of reason I'm sure :D

Be happy my lovely, all blessings to you :beer:

MX
    low carb recipe list - link on page 1 low carb support thread
    You don't have any control over what life throws at you.
    You DO have control over how you react :)
  • SHEILA54
    edited 26 August 2012 at 8:15AM
    Options
    Mercy, have you been drinking? You are kind but you should see me on a bad day ;)

There is half of a large chocolate birthday cake sitting in my kitchen and, anyone knowing me, will know that my weakness is cake, scones etc. Should I bake some low carb ones in case I can't resist, that is the question?

daska - I wish that my family would eat the same as me but they can be fussy. Glad that yours can be more accommodating and thanks for the ideas.

I drink 2 glasses of water and have a small bowl flax / seed sprinkled on top of yogurt when I get up. I can't swallow pills so it helps them slip down. It also settles the stomach and would be good if you had overindulged. Add to that the effects of keeping regular, it's a no brainer :D

murphydog, I have done 25 wall push ups. They really hurt my neck, shoulders and arms due to the spondylitis but I must get more toned as I have lots of hanging flesh and lard! It has to go!!!!!

I think that the sun has got his hat on today so let's make the most of it :)

Have a great day everyone :wave:
  • andrewsmum
    andrewsmum Posts: 335 Forumite
    Options
    SHEILA54 wrote: »
    andrewsmum - I have similar in that I have flax / seeds sprinkled on greek yogurt with a little sugar free jelly. Very

I really look forward to it, it's yummy isn't it
  • sweetserendipity
    Options
    Morning all :hello:

My head feels a little woozy this morning, as if I'm not quite there, iyswim?? :o

andrewsmum, can I ask what measurement dsp is, please?? I read it as dablespoon!! :o
    Also, do you grind your own flaxseed??

SHEILA, hope you manage to resist the lure of the Birthday cake!!
    Same question for you re. the flaxseed.
    Think Mercy had a good day yesterday :D

marrbett, are you still around?? I bought some haloumi to try (inspired by your menus) & just wondered how/if you cook yours?? I'm going to try the mushroom/onion/goats cheese idea you posted about a while ago as well.

Jerry, you sound so positive about everything!! :j

No sign of sister or alias??

B - 3 piggies in blankets & 2 fried eggs
    L - 2 buttered GG crispbreads with cheese savoury, couple of baby plum tomatoes
    D - bbq :eek: will have a quarter pounder (no roll), chicken & veg kebabs and probably a bottle of wine :shhh:

Hope all you lovely LC'ers are well today :wave:
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No sign of sister or alias??

I'm still here but I'm lurking.

I can't get going again. :o

Aiming to try to restart tomorrow, today is going to be a busy and erratic day and mealtimes wont be normal so it's daft to try again under those circumstances.

You and I seem like weather men sweet, if you're 'in' then I'm 'out'. We don't seem to be in or out together. Or at least not for very long. :rotfl:
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • SHEILA54
    edited 26 August 2012 at 9:41AM
    Options
    sweet - dsp = dessertspoon, tsp = teaspoon, tbsp = tablespoon

I hope that this helps. I use Linwoods flax, sunflower, pumpkin, sesame seeds with gojo berries. A pack costs around £5.50 but contains 425g and I have 15g a day so it lasts nearly a month. It tastes nicer than flax if used on yogurt and 15g (1 dsp) has 77 cals, 3.1g protein, 1.15g carbs, 6.7g fat, 1.75g omega 3, 1.75g omega 6, 2.25g omega 9, nearly 3g fibre per serving.

http://www.flax.com/

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/#/asda-compare-prices/nuts_and_seeds/asda_free_from_organic_ground_flax_seed_175g.html

mazzers used to grind her own I think but I tried it once and couldn't get it fine enough.

You need to drink plenty of water with flax as it swells up and provides roughage. If you don't it could cause a blockage.

alias- stop lurking, just tell us how you are getting on and how we can help you? I post all of my mistakes to show that none of us is perfect but we can try and that is all that we can do. Have a good day x
  • Jerryjerryjerry
    Options
    mORning all. Jerry here. Have been up ages. Trying to catch up on all the week's Coronation St before DH wakes up. But so far, i've managed 1 cup of tea and 1 glass of water. Have also done a legs bums and tums workout from fitness t.v on sky. It was a killer. But I feel good. I am still thinking of ciggies but not craving them. So amazed that I am now on day 6 of not smoking!

Feeling positive still.

Last night had some more vodkas with slimline tonic, but didn't over do it.

Today:
    Lunch: sausages and tomatoes. DH having sausage sandwich.
    Dinner: Roast chicken with all trimmings except Potatoes. DH and DSS will have potatoes, roasted, but I wont be tempted.

Snacks: carrot sticks - this bag is never ending!
    I've never had flax seeds. But might give them a try. Hope everybody has a smashing sunday!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure