We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Low-carb diets support thread

Options

Comments

• SHEILA54
    SHEILA54 Posts: 1,813 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 July 2012 at 11:03AM
    Options
    Mercy - Happy Birthday

:bdaycake: :beer: :j _party_

Have lots of fun today and tomorrow

sistercas, sweet - sunny days for you I hope :)

daska - glad that you had fun yesterday. Very hot and packed on beach yesterday + lots of travel delay but DGD had a good time

sock-knitter- if all else fails I have a small bag prunes or 1 sq ex lax and those seem to work. Happened a couple of weeks ago as hadn't been for 5 days and felt dreadful so understand

AudreyHepburn - thanks for the info.
  • avstar
    avstar Posts: 1,149 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Happy Birthday Mercy! :j

Keep meaning to get some coconut oil, both for cooking and for putting on dry skin/hair....might be a stupid question but is it the same product for all uses? I'll just decant some into a pot if it is.

Yesterday went like this;

Breckie - crustless quiche with tomatoes
    Lunch - chicken salad with chilli mayo
    Snack - blueberries & strawberries
    Dinner - baked basa fish fillet topped with chopped almonds & chilli flakes, roasted sweet potato and salad (the baked pot is clean eating but not stict low carb)
  • murphydog999
    murphydog999 Posts: 1,600 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    avstar wrote: »
    Keep meaning to get some coconut oil, both for cooking and for putting on dry skin/hair....might be a stupid question but is it the same product for all uses? I'll just decant some into a pot if it is.

In a word, yes!

A big Happy Birthday to Mercy from Murph x:j :beer:

Hello to all us 'staycationers,' :cool: keep up the good work, I'm lurking but bloomin' house-hunting is keeping me elsewhere, it's a pain in the ****! I must be getting stressed, cause I really fancied a pizza the other day :eek:. They used to be the stable when we were renovating the house, I only had time to cook at the weekend; even with all the running up and down the stairs, still put 3/4 stone on. Never again!!
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not a stupid question at all avstar. There are two basic qualities available - cheap and expensive LOL. No, seriously, what you want to look for is one with a label that says something along the lines of virgin, unprocessed or organic. It should smell and taste of coconut. The cheap stuff is highly processed and you don't want to be eating it but it's probably ok for cosmetic purposes.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • Jerryjerryjerry
    Options
    I hope everybody is well and enjoying the sun!

Yesterday's meals:

B: one coffee decaff black and 5 glasses of water
    L: chicken breast fried with spinach and one tomato
    D: crab meat and cucumber and red onion salad

Really pleased with myself, because I haven't had a drink since sunday night! However, its friday and I have not been sober on a friday night for possibly over 3 years.

Today:

B: one coffee and i'm on my 3rd glass of chilled water.
    L: 2 Eggs - boiled
    D: Fried chicken wings (a large bowl of them, with possiibly salad). OH is making fresh french fries - and I WILL resist them.

Have a great day in the sunshine! I'm off to Lidl in a minute -protein hunting!
  • nuttybabe
    nuttybabe Posts: 2,299 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya

Well I am back hanging my head in shame. After doing so well on holiday I have majorly gone off the rails since being back. Came to a head yesterday when i had pizza for tea :eek: My asthma has been bad since being back, last night it was really really bad. Then I had heartburn and woke up choaking on sick. My belly expanded so much it actually hurt where it was stretching so much. So that has given me a bit of a wake up call! I think even hubby who keeps moaning about me doing low carb has realised how important it is to my health so should be supporting me alot more.

So back on it today. Really couldnt face breakfast, still suffering from the pizza. i only like the toppings on pizza so why oh why did i have the base! :(

having low carb sausages with egg in a bit with some toms.

off to my sisters later so HAVE to be good as she has cats which set off my asthma so cant make it any worse by eating carbs. am hoping that will kick start me to be good. although after last night i really dont need any more incentive.

Hope everyone else is doing better than me!
  • murphydog999
    Options
    Ooo nuttybabe that's not nice for you. You are right it does take something like this to give you that wake-up call.

I had really bad stomach cramps and felt pants after eating 3 half slices of lovely bread in a lovely restaurant. My taste buds liked it, but my stomach didn't! I thought it would be a harmless treat, but it was most def NOT!

I know Sheila has had the same thing, I'm glad I didn't give into my pizza craving the other day!! Hope you're feeling better soon, and hope you get more support and less wingeing!
  • nuttybabe
    nuttybabe Posts: 2,299 Forumite
    Options
    Ooo nuttybabe that's not nice for you. You are right it does take something like this to give you that wake-up call.

I had really bad stomach cramps and felt pants after eating 3 half slices of lovely bread in a lovely restaurant. My taste buds liked it, but my stomach didn't! I thought it would be a harmless treat, but it was most def NOT!

I know Sheila has had the same thing, I'm glad I didn't give into my pizza craving the other day!! Hope you're feeling better soon, and hope you get more support and less wingeing!

Thanks Murphydog. I was just wondering though, do you find carbs affect you more now you dont have them or do you think you always suffered like it but was so used to it, it was normal?I am wondering if I was always like this and thought it fine or if my reaction to carbs are more severe now that I dont have them.
  • SHEILA54
    SHEILA54 Posts: 1,813 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 July 2012 at 3:33PM
    Options
    nuttybabe - I can eat up to around 100 carbs but after that I get major stomach cramps and feel nauseous. Fortunately I don't often go off the rails but I also find that alcohol or cake seem to be worst, I don't have bread etc anyway. I think that I have a wheat intolerance so steer clear of it. Ice cream is ok but that is mostly cream and coffee anyway and I love coffee ice cream. This week I have been upping my carb level to try to shock my body but it is a balancing act and I seem to keep below 80, which is ok. Coffee can also give problems sometimes, or so I have found. I never noticed that carbs affected me before I stated low carb but I did feel tired. I hope that you feel better soon.

I am going away for 2 nights, Sunday - Tuesday, with my 7 year old granddaughter so will try to be good. Cooked breakfast ok and then I think Harvester first night and I have to have a Thai curry second night as it is so good but I will leave the rice. One ice cream a day as a treat I think.

Have a good day everyone :)
  • murphydog999
    Options
    nuttybabe wrote: »
    Thanks Murphydog. I was just wondering though, do you find carbs affect you more now you dont have them or do you think you always suffered like it but was so used to it, it was normal? I am wondering if I was always like this and thought it fine or if my reaction to carbs are more severe now that I dont have them.

I knew that I suffered badly from water retention, but never had bad cramps or anything. Since I stopped, it starts (if you know what I mean!) if I go off track. I think once your stomach/digestion has got used to something that suits it, it lets you know when it doesn't!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport