Low-carb diets support thread

Options

Comments

• margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    thanks, think it must be my pain killers causing constipation then, and i cant cut down, because, a, i'm always in a lot of pain, and b, because they are in patch form

It's well-known that painkillers cause constipation! Even a common one like paracetamol.

Following his back surgery recently DH was taking tramadol (similar to morphine) and he certainly found this.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • sweetserendipity
    Options
    Hi all :hello:

I'm suffering really badly from fluid retention at the moment - does anyone else get this when the weather is warm or is it just me?? :o This is not helped by the fact that my insect bite leg is still swollen (the area around the bite looks grim _pale_) & I have a very fat ankle - not a good look!! :(

I think my weight gain yesterday was a combination of fluid retention & because I hadn't 'been' for a couple of days (which seems to be a common problem on here today!!). Interesting to read that more fat could help in that department, thanks SHEILA.

Good LC vibes going out to everyone :wave:
  • SHEILA54
    SHEILA54 Posts: 1,813 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 July 2012 at 7:16PM
    Options
    sweet - is the area around the bite red and warm because, if it is, it may be infected and you need to see a Dr asap. Also have you taken any antihistamines?

I endorse the fact that painkillers, especially those that are codeine based, cause constipation. I am prescribed tramadol for my neck / back problems but only take them when I really have to as they make me constipated and they stop me sleeping.

AudreyHepburn - 50 - 60% of my diet comes from fat

Breakfast - yogurt with flax / seeds
    Snack - 2oz 70% chocolate
    Lunch - peanut butter, cheese, crab pate, cucumber and 1 ryvita
    Avocados too hard but 39p in Aldi so bought 4
    Snack - handful nuts
    Dinner - smoked haddock, cauliflower, brocolli, almond pancake, raspberries and cream
    Bedtime - lactofree milk cocoa
  • durham_mim
    durham_mim Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi all :hello:

I'm suffering really badly from fluid retention at the moment - does anyone else get this when the weather is warm or is it just me?? :o This is not helped by the fact that my insect bite leg is still swollen (the area around the bite looks grim _pale_) & I have a very fat ankle - not a good look!! :(
    :wave:

Please, please, please get your leg checked out by a GP. It could be a tick bite which in turn could lead to Lyme Disease and you don't want that, believe me. If it is a tick bite get them to do a test for Lyme Disease and make sure you get a course of antibiotics. It is important to be treated with antibiotics asap to limit any long term effects. For more info go to http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/ I would hate anyone to get Lyme Disease it is horrible.
    Weight loss 0/2st
    Inch loss = 0"

Slow & Steady 3
  • elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    tbh i think i do lc but i deff am not as lc as some people on here, so maybe my solution wont work , but i have porridge in the morning ( which is my carbs) and i have a spoonful of fibre and a spoonful of oatbran this seems to work for me no problem ... on the days when i have eggs instead for breakfast i do have that issue so i tend to have more porridge mornings now tbh as i need to go every day otherwise i feel ill

i also found coffee was fantastic at sorting that problem out for me , but i aint allowed coffee anymore so that option is no longer open for me ... might work for someone else though :)
  • ScottishOstrich
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I hope you are well. I am currently coming off a VLCD ( 50lb lighter )and looking to move to low carb living.
    This month it pretty tight cash wise, but I need to do my first proper food shopping tomorrow. I am looking for advice on a shopping list.
    Can any one give me a rough idea to work with.
    Cheers
    Ostrich
  • SHEILA54
    SHEILA54 Posts: 1,813 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 July 2012 at 9:10PM
    Options
    Hi :wave:Ostrich and well done on your loss.

It helps if you tell us if you will be following any particular diet and how many carbs you want to have please?

Otherwise - green leafy veg, salad, plain yogurt, meat, fish, eggs, cheese, cream, water - lots of it , mayonnaise. Buy the best quality that you can afford, especially beef, eggs and chicken. No additives, nitrates.

If higher carb ie.40g+ flax, seeds, nuts, avocados, berries, 70% chocolate, ground almonds etc.

elentan - I sometimes have a small bowl of porridge and count it, or 1 small potato, tbsp rice etc as variety is necessary and I just cut out something else :)
  • ScottishOstrich
    Options
    SHEILA54 wrote: »
    Hi :wave:Ostrich and well done on your loss.

It helps if you tell us if you will be following any particular diet and how many carbs you want to have please?

Otherwise - green leafy veg, salad, plain yogurt, meat, fish, eggs, cheese, cream, water - lots of it , mayonnaise. Buy the best quality that you can afford, especially beef, eggs and chicken. No additives, nitrates.

If higher carb ie.40g+ flax, seeds, nuts, avocados, berries, 70% chocolate, ground almonds etc.

Thanks for your reply Sheila, I appreciate your time.
    I am not sure is the honest answer, I have just come off a university town plan and have very little idea about what i should take in on carbs.
    I am not a big fan of fish. I can cope with tuna and some shell fish. have to say, i am getting fed up of Chicken. it feels like all i have been eating when i ate is chicken and lettuce
    I try to drink about 4 litres of water a day.
    will google on what i should take in. I still want to lose another 15lbs adn then it is maintainence
    thanks
    ostrich xxx
  • sock-knitter
    sock-knitter Posts: 1,630 Forumite
    Options
    been greedy tonight, i ate a full 200g bag of salted nuts.
    off to bed now, feeling fat and guilty:mad::(
    loves to knit and crochet for others
  • sweetserendipity
    Options
    SHEILA54 wrote: »
    sweet - is the area around the bite red and warm because, if it is, it may be infected and you need to see a Dr asap. Also have you taken any antihistamines?

Thanks, SHEILA, I've been looking at the NHS website & I think I've had an allergic reaction to the bite & that's why it's swollen & blistered - 48 hours minimum but it should go down in a few days, if not I'll be heading to the Drs - it's been 5 days so far... Been taking a one-a-day antihistamine & I think that's stopped the itchiness.
    durham_mim wrote: »
    Please, please, please get your leg checked out by a GP. It could be a tick bite which in turn could lead to Lyme Disease and you don't want that, believe me. If it is a tick bite get them to do a test for Lyme Disease and make sure you get a course of antibiotics. It is important to be treated with antibiotics asap to limit any long term effects. For more info go to http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/ I would hate anyone to get Lyme Disease it is horrible.

durham, thanks for that link. I always thought ticks were about the size of sweetcorn (found one on our cat once) so that was quite an eye-opener to read that the ticks that bite humans can be the size of a poppy seed!! I'm pretty sure my bite wasn't a tick (thank goodness) as I saw the hole left by the bite before it blistered & I did see a very persistant mozzie flying around me when I was gardening. Lyme disease is truly awful & you have my absolute sympathy.
    been greedy tonight, i ate a full 200g bag of salted nuts.
    off to bed now, feeling fat and guilty:mad::(

And did you have lips like Angelina Jolie after all that salt?! :p

Morning all :hello:

ostrich, that's a fab weight loss :T Hope you ate more than chicken & lettuce to achieve it though!! Good luck with the next stage.

Happy holidays to everyone tootling off on their holibobs :j

I've decided to have a few days off LC as we have some days out coming up & I want to eat chips & icecream & drink lots of white wine!! :o Oh well, at least I'm being honest!! :rotfl:

Happy LC days for everyone else - I'll be back!! :wave:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport