Low-carb diets support thread

Options

Comments

• Jerryjerryjerry
    Jerryjerryjerry Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    Options
    Good morning all. Feeling very positive! Sun is shining like mad.

Yesterday was a good day. Did a lot of walking. Did my nails, shaved my legs etc. Only had one decaf. Then lots of water.

This morning, I've done 25 mins on exercise bike, (6 miles). Hoovered house from top to bottom, made sandwiches for husband.. mopped downstairs loo and kitchen. House is clean!

I'm now going to sit out in the garden. Food will be:

L: crab salad with grated cheddar cheese
    D: Scrambled eggs

Lots of water. ONE coffee!
  • durham_mim
    durham_mim Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning all. Feeling very positive! Sun is shining like mad.

Yesterday was a good day. Did a lot of walking. Did my nails, shaved my legs etc. Only had one decaf. Then lots of water.

:T Yay JJJ! So pleased you had a good day and you're now feeling more positive. Well Done!
    Weight loss 0/2st
    Inch loss = 0"

Slow & Steady 3
  • SHEILA54
    SHEILA54 Posts: 1,813 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 July 2012 at 11:05AM
    Options
    Good for you Jerry, jerry, jerry, marbett for positive thinking :T I also intend to try to be better today.

Isn't it so much easier when the sun shines :)

AudreyHepburn - I have been lectured about calories but if you use
    http://www.fitday.com/
    you can count both carbs, fat, protein, vits, minerals and it gives calories as well.
    You can also record your weigh, exercise etc. It is an Amercian website but you can have a free account.
  • sock-knitter
    sock-knitter Posts: 1,630 Forumite
    Options
    how does everyone get enough fibre in their diet when lc'ing. i've stuck to the diet for four days now, and eaten loads of green leafy veg, but my stomach was bloated and painful today, as during that time i hadnt done a poo tmi lol. anyway cheated today and had weetabix for breakfast which did the trick
    loves to knit and crochet for others
  • AudreyHepburn_2
    Options
    how does everyone get enough fibre in their diet when lc'ing. i've stuck to the diet for four days now, and eaten loads of green leafy veg, but my stomach was bloated and painful today, as during that time i hadnt done a poo tmi lol. anyway cheated today and had weetabix for breakfast which did the trick

I feel your pain SK - having exactly the same problem despite tonnes of leafy veg, litres of water and 3 tsp psyllium husk. In fact, I think the psyllium husk is making it worse, kind of acting like "cement" :-(
  • SHEILA54
    edited 24 July 2012 at 2:31PM
    Options
    On FITDAY, mentioned above, you can see how much fibre you are having. I have 2 tbsp flax / seeds in yogurt 6g fibre, half an avocado 5.8g fibre, 20g dark chocolate 2.2g fibre and the rest comes from nuts, berries and vegetables.

The recommended amount of fibre a day is around 25g so it soon adds up and I want to do it naturally, so to speak. :D You also need a lot of water and the fat helps as well.
  • AudreyHepburn_2
    Options
    SHEILA54 wrote: »

The recommended amount of fibre a day is around 25g so it soon adds up and I want to do it naturally, so to speak. :D You also need a lot of water and the fat helps as well.

THanks Sheila. I track carbs, fat, protein, sugars and fibre everyday on Myfitnesspal site. I get a least 30 of fibre a day, think I need to up my fat intake.
  • SHEILA54
    edited 24 July 2012 at 2:43PM
    Options
    I think that the fat may be the key

Not long ago Jamie Scott (That Paleo Guy), a very smart nutritional advisor, discussed his solution for constipation. There were several gems in there, for instance, that foods that stimulate opioid receptors can cause constipation [5b]:

For example, both gluten grains (and I suspect grains in general) plus dairy contain opiate-like compounds that serve to reduce the motility (movement) of your gut. This effect is commonly seen in those who have to take the likes of codeine (also an opiate) for any length of time.

Chocolate also has opioid peptides. But don’t worry, chocolate isn’t usually the cause of constipation!

But Jamie’s main advice was:

[M]any of the people I work with just are not eating enough fat….

People are a bit skeptical when I suggest increasing fat intake to overcome constipation. Thankfully I can now point to a clinical study in which a high fat diet, in very short time, increased gastrointestinal transit time, reducing the likelihood of constipation occurring;

Gastrointestinal transit, post-prandial lipaemia and satiety following 3 days high-fat diet in men

High-fat diets promote stool passage for several reasons.

Just a tiny bit of undigested fat can help grease the passage of stool through the colon. Even modest amounts of fat in the stool make it difficult to retain feces and cause fecal incontinence. This is why indigestible oils, like jojoba oil or Olestra, cause diarrhea.
    A second factor is that bile is released into the intestine when fats are eaten, and bile acids have a laxative effect. Both the primary bile acid chenodeoxycholic acid (CDCA) and the secondary bile acid deoxycholic acid (DCA) act as laxatives by inducing water secretion in the colon. An excess of bile therefore causes diarrhea and an insufficiency can cause constipation. [6] This is why people who have had their gallbladders removed typically develop diarrhea: bile is constantly leaking into the digestive tract.
    Just be sure that the high fat you eat comes from healthy natural sources, not high-omega-6 industrially processed seed oils.

Also, bile acid metabolism has a diurnal rhythm. [7] Improved bile acid metabolism may be another pathway by which circadian rhythm therapies could help constipation.[/B]
  • AudreyHepburn_2
    Options
    Many thanks Sheila :-)

What % fat intake would you recommend please? My current target is 30% of calories.

I am very "opioid" sensitive - totally avoid codeine at all times.
  • sock-knitter
    sock-knitter Posts: 1,630 Forumite
    Options
    thanks, think it must be my pain killers causing constipation then, and i cant cut down, because, a, i'm always in a lot of pain, and b, because they are in patch form
    loves to knit and crochet for others
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport