We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Low-carb diets support thread

Options

Comments

• mazzers
    mazzers Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all :hello:
    Still reading, not been very lc, been to stock up today though.

I've done something to my knee, hurts when i walk, a bit tender but no pain if i'm still which leads me to believe it's prob not arthritis.
    Just 'went' in work, was very very busy and only two of us in, i think it's wear and tear on the cartilage or i've torn it... going by symptom checkers.
    Thankfully Sat was my last shift and i'm on hol now, but as it hasn't improved i've an appt with the doc tomorrow.

Commiserations to OH murpydog, i've had a bad back twice (sciatica) and you dont realise how much it's used for everyday tasks until it goes.
  • nuttybabe
    nuttybabe Posts: 2,299 Forumite
    Options
    hiya

i am still here lurking. having a bit of a tough time with diet/money and stuff. anyway just read a few comments on tomatoes. i always eat tomatoes even when low carbing. i read years ago that cooked tomatoes have cancer fighting stuff in them. there is alot of cancer in my family so its one thing i will not stop eating on low carb. and they are gert lush with fried with bacon and egg for breakfast! :D

i am on holiday in just over 2 weeks. am dreading it. all that food (its all inclusive) that i cant eat cos i will get ill and i dont want to be ill on holiday (palava with doctors over my inhalers as well just to add to stress). but i know i will put on loads of weight as there will be hidden carbs and not lost the last lot i put on and havent tried on any clothes, cant afford to buy new stuff cos washing machine just broke! :(

ok, i am rambling. or should that be venting. must check lottery in the morning just in case :D
  • Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    edited 7 June 2012 at 11:24AM
    Options
    I think it's called lycopene, nuttybabe. I agree, there aren't enough carbs in fresh tomatoes to worry about, compared with the health benefits they give.

Re: hidden carbs on holiday.. it depends where you're going. For example, if Spain then you'd want to avoid gazpacho ( bread is often used as an ingredient). In Greece, you'd want to avoid skordalia (bread), in France, tian (often bread and rice) and in Portugal acorda (bread). If you're going to the Caribbean then a lot of the dishes will include rice and pigeon peas...and then there's all that fruit. But an all-inclusive resort anywhere, should be used to people with special diets.

mazzers - hope your GP manages to diagnose what's wrong with your knees.

daska - how are those curtains going ?

Yesterday..
    B - Two Sainsbury's So Organic woodland free range eggs (got half dozen on 3rd date up 9th reduced from 2.10 to 99p) boiled
    L - Two eggs as above, fried in ghee, with Spar mushrooms (33% extra free)
    Treat - Lindt Excellence 90% cocoa chocolate
    D - Smoked salmon and Cheddar omelette, with samphire and green salad, HM cider vinegar and hazelnut oil dressing

The Hersheys unsweetened cocoa powder arrived today :)

Just run out of ghee. The Khanum pure butter ghee without ethyl butyrate is 5.45 for 500g from www.spicesofindia.co.uk so I'm going to try and find it elsewhere Finding Khanum isn't a prob it's the ethyl butyrate free stuff.

Today
    B - Two free range eggs scrambled with Spar mushrooms and freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano in Morrisons Savers lard, with a whole Galbani Mozzarella sliced up on the side.
  • nuttybabe
    Options
    Edwardia - glad i was right about tomatoes, started to think i imagnined it. :D we are going to tunisia, i will stay away from the obvious carbs but its the carbs in sauces that will get me as i do like to try a variety of food. but i think as long as its not bread etc it shouldnt effect my asthma (hopefully) and i am planning on joining in with sports and trying to be quite active with the kids so fingers crossed wont effect me too bad. will take a few 'larger' clothes for week 2 though! lol
  • Edwardia
    Options
    nuttybabe Tunisia you lucky devil going green here... before I did low carb I did low GI and lots of Middle Eastern and North African food is low GI.

I bought a couple of Tunisian cookbooks in French and they have the Arab names so I'll have a look and see if I can find anything low carb.

It won't be so much the sauces as the way much of it gets served on couscous or other grains I think..

Just bought 7 x 500g tins of Khanum pure butter ghee from https://www.spicesofindia.co.uk as the company which imports and packs Khanum ghee confirmed it's the only company selling their ghee without the ethyl butyrate and it's produced specially.
  • confused76
    confused76 Posts: 12,680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sistercas wrote: »
    I ordered it from HERE I bought the mixed meat selection pack , the minced steak and the chicken breasts - so i got free delivery - pretty steep delivery otherwise
    Ive never ordered meat online before so hoping its good. their shop is in the village where my mum lives and she says its good :)

thanks for that, sistercas. I'll have a good look at the website now :j

sorry i've been awol for a couple of days, been on babysitting duty for my sister's 3. i've got bags on bags under my eyes!

I need to catch up on this thread, hope everyone is well xx

ps got weighed this morning, 1 stone in 5 weeks on paleo :D:D:D:D i've had real food, 3 hearty meals a day...it's brilliant :beer:
  • Edwardia
    Options
    nuttybabe, they're sure to have European/American food but here are some low carb Tunisian dishes

Marauit Sbares (fish soup)
    Chorba (stew)
    Slata Michwiya, Slata Michwiya Bil Bitenjaan, Slata Tounsiya, Slatit Lift Ahmir, Slatit Fiill, Slatit Sfinnaria (salads)
    Djej fil Koucha (roast chicken)
    Hout Kamal, Mdass, (fish)
    Marquat Kalmar (squid), Kamounia bil Qarnit (octopus), Aijja bil Gambri (prawn)
    Kammounia (veal, liver), Mosli, (beef) Bnadeqs (veal), Marquit Besbes ( veal, fennel), Mloukhia (beef), Gnaouiya (veal or chicken)
    Qlaya (lamb, offal), L'ham Mechoui (lamb), Aalouch fil Koucha (lamb),
    Salsa tmatim, Salsa Quarqnia (tomato sauce)
    Adham Mihchi (stuffed eggs)
    Testira, Aijja bil Filfil, Tajine bil Qraa, Mbatten Brouklou, Filfil Moqli, Chakchouka, Ommek Houriya (veggie dishes and veggies -some have chilli so look out for the word filfil)

hope that helps xx
  • Edwardia
    Options
    confused76 well done :T
  • Skymist
    Skymist Posts: 406 Forumite
    edited 7 June 2012 at 2:26PM
    Options
    nuttybabe wrote: »
    ....anyway just read a few comments on tomatoes. i always eat tomatoes even when low carbing. i read years ago that cooked tomatoes have cancer fighting stuff in them. there is alot of cancer in my family so its one thing i will not stop eating on low carb. and they are gert lush with fried with bacon and egg for breakfast! :D

Edwardia wrote: »
    I think it's called lycopene....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2155595/Tomatoes-help-skin-young-protect-sunburn.html

(If you dislike the DM, I'm sure a quick search will find the same info in other newspapers!! :D)

QUOTE=confused76;53621821] ps got weighed this morning, 1 stone in 5 weeks on paleo :D:D:D:D i've had real food, 3 hearty meals a day...it's brilliant :beer: [/QUOTE]

:j :beer: :T :beer: :j HAPPY DAYS!!!! :D

S
  • nuttybabe
    Options
    Wow, thank you Edwardia. I will take the list and look out for those to try. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport