Low-carb diets support thread

Options

Comments

• kafkathecat
    kafkathecat Posts: 515 Forumite
    Options
    Jazza - for quick low carb lunches I make soups and freeze them: I have made 2 from Celia Brooks Brown's book and they have both been lovely. Also salad with marinated tofu (completely different to the plain stuff) or cheese, shredded runner beans with pesto and cheese or tomato sauce, leftovers from dinner. esp. grilled veg, and veggie burgers/sausages. Rose Elliot also has a great low carb bread recipe that I keep in the freezer for emergencies. Also coleslaw and I have just found some shirataki noodles in town so I'm experimenting with them at the moment.
    hth.
    K.
  • Mercy
    Mercy Posts: 1,733 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jazza wrote: »
    Thanks Mercy that sounds delicious :j Can you tell what ff mayo is?

Glad you like the idea :) ff = full fat.

Keeps you fuller, longer and tastes better :j

Mx
    low carb recipe list - link on page 1 low carb support thread
    You don't have any control over what life throws at you.
    You DO have control over how you react :)
  • kafkathecat
    kafkathecat Posts: 515 Forumite
    Options
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 5 June 2012 at 12:16PM
    Options
    Mercy wrote: »
    Hi all!

Found a new pleasure :)

spinach and chicken fried egg omlette

Wilt fresh, or soften frozen then chop, spinach
    Heat gently in butter (I used goose fat too)
    Add meat from 1 leg of roast chicken, stir and heat through without blasting
    When all hot crack eggs gently on top, season.
    keeping heat moderate, gently mix whites into spinach/chicken
    When whites are solid and yolks are still gooey slide onto warmed plate and eat!

Mx

ooh I like this , ive got everything in too :D

I do struggle for breakfast ideas sometimes , I love eggs though but get bored with the same few ideas so I will defo try this

I have decided to reduce my reliance on the big SMs after being very disappointed in MrT , so I have just done an online meat order from a butcher , no cheaper at all but British , free range, naturally finished meats , ordered enough to last the 4 of us at least a month :o

main meal for today will be marinaded chicken drumsticks with veggies and a jacket spud for them
  • Mercy
    Options
    Hiya! :wave:

Just checked the sauerkraut. Slightly over 2 weeks in and it's looking pretty good :D Only smells of vinegar and the slight green of the cabbage is getting a slightly yellower hue.

Be about right to try next weekend.

Will fridge some then if it's good and leave the rest to carry on fermenting (Ooer, missus!). Don't know when it'll be at it's best as I've never done this before but will be keeping notes :)

Average temperature in kitchen has been 18'C, between 12'C lowest to 21'C highest. I imagine it may take longer in winter but as we have the heating on then, maybe not much different?

If this lot does well I'll amass a great deal of info over the next 12 months :) :rotfl:

Really do think fermenting is the way to go. Lots of bioavtive things without the pricetag :rotfl:

Fermentation for the Nation! Why not make some Jubilee sauerkraut or kimchi?! :j

Big love
    Mx
  • Mercy
    edited 5 June 2012 at 5:56PM
    Options
    Today's menu

Meal 1 - belly pork done perfectly.
    Meal 2 - 200g of large fantail prawns with avocado, mayo and rocket salad

Snack if wanted - Scottish strawbs from yesterday and Rodda's clotted cream. (thank you Edwardia, this has been, for me, the best tip you ever gave out so far :))

These were supposed to be the other way about but ate all the belly pork straight from the oven as it smelled so good :D

Back to work tomorrow. Have slow cooked some lamb to have with salad for lunch.

Hope you have all had a lovely long weekend! :j

Mx
  • confused76
    confused76 Posts: 12,680 Forumite
    Options
    sistercas wrote: »
    ooh I like this , ive got everything in too :D

I do struggle for breakfast ideas sometimes , I love eggs though but get bored with the same few ideas so I will defo try this

I have decided to reduce my reliance on the big SMs after being very disappointed in MrT , so I have just done an online meat order from a butcher , no cheaper at all but British , free range, naturally finished meats , ordered enough to last the 4 of us at least a month :o

main meal for today will be marinaded chicken drumsticks with veggies and a jacket spud for them

ooh who did you order from? I really could do with doing that, just scared of the initial outlay of cash! :o

afternoon all, hope you've all had a lovely long weekend :) x
  • Mercy
    edited 5 June 2012 at 6:14PM
    Options
    Mercy wrote: »
    Hi all!

Found a new pleasure :)

spinach and chicken fried egg omlette

Wilt fresh, or soften frozen then chop, spinach
    Heat gently in butter (I used goose fat too)
    Add meat from 1 leg of roast chicken, stir and heat through without blasting
    When all hot crack eggs gently on top, season.
    keeping heat moderate, gently mix whites into spinach/chicken
    When whites are solid and yolks are still gooey slide onto warmed plate and eat!

Mx

Jazza maybe you could modify the above to use cheese instead of chicken? Not really a lunch on the go but ok if you are at home. Ooh, imagine lumps of mozzarella plopped in onto the spinach base, then sprinkled with good cheddar! Gona try that 1 meself :)

Also, I do amazing omlettes. These are good to cook and keep for 2-3 days in fridge.

In a measuring jug mix, eggs, grated cheese, salt and any other seasonings and any finely chopped veg - mushrooms, spring onions, green beans, broccoli flowers, v finely shredded cabbage, peppers, chopped spinach, olives and any veg you like well chopped up. (not really for ones which are known for their wetness like aubergines etc)

(For meat eaters add, chopped sausage, tuna, chicken, whatever :))

I have a 24cm frying pan, I 3/4 fill a 1L measuring jug with stiff mixture. You'd likely need 4-5 eggs and a good amount of cheese for it not to be too wet. Finely slice tomatoes for top.

Pre heat pan with butter and a splash of olive oil - this stops the butter from burning, put grill on. Add mix to pan, decoratively add finely sliced tomatoes, cook on reasonably high heat for 2 mins then turn down to less than half that. Alternate between stove top and grill until almost cooked.

Using spatula divide into pizza slices. This will often release wetness :) Reapply to stove top / grill till done.

I often leave mine under grill switched off (electric) until cool.

When cool refrigerate. Or just scran down as it's too good :) Rest will do for tomorrow's lunch with salad, mayo etc.

Mx
  • Mercy
    Options
    A quick question.

I've been using Goose fat in my cooking. Coming to the end of the jar (fed most of it to ill kitty so have gone through it pretty quick :)) I was v pleased to find Ducks fat on offer in Asda. Half price so I got some.

Anyway, can anyone tell me what the taste difference is between goose n ducks fat? In cooking in general? (I know 1 tastes like... etc) :rotfl: But anything I should be aware of?

Mx
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    confused76 wrote: »
    ooh who did you order from? I really could do with doing that, just scared of the initial outlay of cash! :o

afternoon all, hope you've all had a lovely long weekend :) x

I ordered it from HERE I bought the mixed meat selection pack , the minced steak and the chicken breasts - so i got free delivery - pretty steep delivery otherwise
    Ive never ordered meat online before so hoping its good. their shop is in the village where my mum lives and she says its good :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure