🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Low-carb diets support thread

Options

Comments

• Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    Options
    Poor Queen reduced to a jelly..:rotfl:
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    daska wrote: »
    Unfortunately not Edwardia, very definitely the sugar laden variety, made in a mould of the Queen's Head.

brilliant :T
  • sistercas
    Options
    Edwardia wrote: »
    daska . I found a packet of Mr Porky's pork scratchings in it and ate them despite the additives :( I'm on the hunt for additive free pork scratchings now. If anyone knows of any that I can buy online please post :) xx

i dont know of any online, but lidl do them -ingredients pork rind , pork fat, and salt - not tried them myself though x
  • jm2926
    jm2926 Posts: 901 Forumite
    Options
    Edwardia wrote: »
    What have you discovered ?

Daikon. It's from the radish family and looks like a big white carrot. 3g of carbs per 85g, and it is not dense so you get a lot. I made "potato" dauphinoise last night and it was fantastic.
  • Gray_Malkin
    Gray_Malkin Posts: 982 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jm2926 wrote: »
    Daikon. It's from the radish family and looks like a big white carrot. 3g of carbs per 85g, and it is not dense so you get a lot. I made "potato" dauphinoise last night and it was fantastic.

Ooh, thanks. I shall look out for that. I've made dauphinoise with a variety of roots - with variable success. So far the best has been a mixture of celeriac and white turnip.

The only new thing I've tried since low carbing has been flax seed meal. Boring old me :o
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    http://www.lydialeith.com/ - also responsible for the somewhat controversial sick bags.

(daikon is otherwise known as mooli - I've never been brave enough!)

DS2 had his 5th birthday party today! This was a momentous event as we've not been able to consider playdates before due to the language/sensory problems. Funnily enough the kids avoided the bright green caterpillar cake and left it to the parents to eat up - not a problem as it was a very nice cake (if you could ignore the 'green') :D

I'm just not going to get hung up on the chilli wraps, cake, jelly, ice-cream etc. In fact I think we'll have fish and chips for supper and I might even have a beer, I've already eaten enough that I know my insides are going to be upset so I might as well LOL.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • sistercas
    Options
    daska wrote: »

wished i had had one of those last weekend and loving the tattoos :rotfl:

hope the party went well

just to say mazzers butter chicken is AMAZING :T everybody here loved it

mazzers how is your knee? what did the doc say
  • Mercy
    Mercy Posts: 1,733 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Daikon / mooli is a central feature in one of my kimchi versions. Very nice it is too. Never cooked it, what's it like cooked? also didn't realise it was low carb :j

Mx
    low carb recipe list - link on page 1 low carb support thread
    You don't have any control over what life throws at you.
    You DO have control over how you react :)
  • dundeedoll_2
    dundeedoll_2 Posts: 1,199 Forumite
    Options
    Mercy - Breakfasts have been / will be coconut oil shake with turmeric and black pepper

Hi, could you elaborate on this please, as I googled and could only find recipes using banana and milk with the C oil & turmeric. Thanks! :)
    Nicotine Free since 01.08.2010 :j:j:j

Sealed Pot Challenge member 1097 2011 £1024.78 :T

I feel the two are connected :D
  • Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    edited 9 June 2012 at 1:15AM
    Options
    Daikon/mooli .. not seen it in these parts, but if I find it any time, I'm thinking it might make great remoulade as an alternative to celeriac.. I lurve globe artichokes and kohlrabi both of which are virtually impossible to get here as well.

I hath been commanded by His Nibs, to do more Internet shopping. His theory is that we'll only have to shop for fresh stuff so we'll have more time to do other things. Haha

Just did a small shop on Approved Food and Drink which a lot of people on the Groceries and Shopping Board use. www.approvedfood.co.uk

I didn't buy anything overdate, and the only short date stuff I bought were things like Jaffa Cakes for HN which will get consumed by him within hours. :D Got a few food things like Halen Mon sea salt, tinned Spanish pimento olives, tinned Spanish whole white asparagus (to use in salads), Black Country pork scratchings. On the whole the website is wall to wall carbs though.

I feel guilty buying him weirdo food like Jaffa cakes but he loves them, I think it's childhood comfort food.

sistercas - my local Lidl only stocks Mr Porky's :(

B - Two free range eggs, mushrooms, smoked salmon scrambled in lard as I broke a yolk oops
    L - Mozzarella, basil and beetroot salad
    Snack - shell-on pistachios
    D - 2 Sainsbury's organic lamb chops, tenderstem broccoli, asparagus with melted butter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport