We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

I'm back (VERY SCARED) debt free diary

Options

Comments

• kelie
    kelie Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    best friend and OH both can't raise the funds needed. OH unemployed, best friend on 10k a year
    Virgin CC: [STRIKE]-£374.70[/STRIKE] -£384.39 | Barclaycard: -£2016.05 | Egg CC: [STRIKE]- £781.13[/STRIKE] -£1450.28 | M&S CC: [STRIKE]-£980.40[/STRIKE] -£1026.29 | Natwest CC: -£1,605.60 | Tesco CC: [STRIKE]£1,567.10[/STRIKE] -£1334.10 |

Current Account Balance:
    -£2,808.96

• *Vikki*
    *Vikki* Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    Options
    Oh pants, no family that can help out or other mates, or rent the house out and move back home..
  • kelie
    Options
    Nope :( Tried renting the house out, no one was interested, so me and ex were covering the mortgage payments for a few months half each which is why i moved in as I was paying near on £400 a month for an empty house.

I am still waiting to hear back from him. He has really confused me. Mum suggested I phone the council / housing associations and get my name on a list.
    Virgin CC: [STRIKE]-£374.70[/STRIKE] -£384.39 | Barclaycard: -£2016.05 | Egg CC: [STRIKE]- £781.13[/STRIKE] -£1450.28 | M&S CC: [STRIKE]-£980.40[/STRIKE] -£1026.29 | Natwest CC: -£1,605.60 | Tesco CC: [STRIKE]£1,567.10[/STRIKE] -£1334.10 |

Current Account Balance:
    -£2,808.96

• rosered1963
    rosered1963 Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    Options
    kelie wrote: »
    Nope :( Tried renting the house out, no one was interested, so me and ex were covering the mortgage payments for a few months half each which is why i moved in as I was paying near on £400 a month for an empty house.

I am still waiting to hear back from him. He has really confused me. Mum suggested I phone the council / housing associations and get my name on a list.

Hi Kelie - sorry to hear that. Hope there is a solution of some sort. Hope you have a good weekend otherwise.
  • kelie
    Options
    Okay things arent as bad as I first thought...

My Ex is giving me until November / December to make a decision over whether i want to buy him out (make him an offer), or to just sell the house. I would like to buy him out but im not sure that my current financial situation will allow me to.

Current Account Balance:
    -£2,808.96

• Seaxwyn
    Seaxwyn Posts: 4,896 Forumite
    Options
    That's a relief Kelie - glad to hear that. It gives you a fair bit of time to work out a plan to buy him out, if that's what you'd like to do.

How are things with the OH?
    Total debt: 1 January 2007 £[strike]49,387.79[/strike] 1 January 2012 £[STRIKE]19,312.85[/STRIKE] 1 August 2012 £11,517.62

• kelie
    Options
    He's still unemployed, says there is nothing on the job seekers website, when actually i saw a position working in tesco on the till. I don't see why he can't do something like that while he retrains etc.

Current Account Balance:
    -£2,808.96

• TheBex
    TheBex Posts: 179 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Kelie, it's been a little while...

I had an interview for a job I really wanted and they turned me down, saying they thought I'd get bored.... (go figure) so I've spent the last week sulking! Better now, and deep cleaning the house while the rents are away for a nice surprise when they get home.

So I've had a catch up with the thread since I was last here, and it sounds like nothing's going your way :(

Did you give you OH a date to get a job by? I wonder if you could start applying for a few jobs on his behalf? If he's offered an interview you can come clean and see what happens - if he really means what he says. If he isn't contacted then you've lost nothing. You talk about him retraining - is that something he uses as an excuse to put off the job hunt, or is it really what he wants?

The house situation sounds dreadful, poor lass. I know councils will rent houses on a per-bedroom basis. Perhaps you could do that for a while? Then again I'm not sure if you could get on a list if you're renting them your house....

Your ex sounds mad! I've let go of a few hundred pounds to make a clean break, but £30K is completely mental!

How's the to-do list going?

:) Bex
    Do you need it? Yep. Really? Yes! How have you managed for the last 28 years without it? Erm....
    NO NAUGHTY SHOPPING Bex.
  • kelie
    Options
    Hi Bex :) Thanks for your reply. I printed out so many jobs my OH could apply for the past few weeks, some in homebase, tesco.. . not jobs he particularly wants but in all honesty he should just use it as a stop gap. He has a degree in sport but theres nothing around here and I think he's more interested in sitting at home watching the racing than actively looking for work. I told him 3 weeks ago he had a month to apply for jobs or he was moving out. He has one week left, although he nearly moved out today when I refused to get him some beers from tesco. I told him i'd had enough and if the beer was more important than me he could do a run and jump (but less politely!!!)

I have been working really hard. I finished a web design job which should be launching next week which means i'll get the £600. I also took on two other tiny jobs for templates which are £50 and $90. Not much I know but the amount of time it takes me to do these little jobs its well worth it.

I have also got a new little site to do for someone who I am meeting on Monday next week. All this wont really make a dent on my overdraft, but the more I get in the better so I can pay it off. At least i'm not going to be going over my overdraft limit but I'd like to get it so that my credit cards are going down fast, even if I have to live £1k etc in my overdraft since the interest on the credit cards is higher than the OD (on a few cards anyway).

Do you think it would be best to tackle one credit card at a time? For example, pay the minimum on all my cards and if I get any extra, pay off one card (highest interest one?). I think it makes sense to me but would love other opinions.

On the avon front, I now have 8 people in my team as a sales leader, but I have to make a minimum of £148 order, and the team has to make £888 in this campaign for me to get 5% !!!!! I am thinking that the petrol is going to cost more than my commission, so still contemplating giving that up.

With the house, I really would like to buy the ex out. I thought about offering him £15k, with the housing decline and see what he says. I have a feeling it will be to stick it where the sun don't shine, but I can't do anything for a few months to see what my financial situation is and if I'd even get a remortgage. I don't think I can pay off all my credit cards and save £15k by christmas (and pay the bills too!)

The to do list is growing, I have good days and bad days getting stuff done. Tomorrow morning me and my sales leader are delivering Avon books to a new territory to help me get to the £148. In the afternoon I have to pop my mum to the chemist and carry on with these web design jobs. And look for more!

I was doing surveys etc etc but I found they were taking lots of time for not much profit, and I think my time could be spent better elsewhere. Oh and another bonus, my friend thought she had bought 4 tickets to the Pink concert in Birmingham, but turns out she only bought 1. She didn't want to go alone so asked if I could sell it on ebay for her. I told her I doubt it would sell as the concert was 2 days away, but it sold for £56!!! She told me I could keep the money (only cost £10 to post special delivery before 9am), so a profit of £46 for listing an ebay item. I feel a bit bad keeping the money though but she said she would have lost it anyway and she knows how much difficulty I am going through bless her.

I hope you are all well. My life is like a rollercoaster, lots of ups and downs... unfortunately more downs at the moment so I need to sink my teeth into some projects to make some more £££ :)

Current Account Balance:
    -£2,808.96

• Wordsmith
    Wordsmith Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, Kelie. Keep at it - you are making so many positive steps in the right direction. I know it's difficult to see when you're in the situation yourself, but for an outsider reading of all the little (and big) positive moves your are making I am sure you are tough enough to see it through - and come out the other side so much stronger.

I know what you mean about surveys. I am only on one site and I just do the surveys when I am having a short break. I have reached the heady heights of £4.90, so it may be some time before I get any payout - quite some time. Good news about the ebaying. Hope you get on the up part of the rollercoaster soon.
    "Green pastures are before me,
    Which yet I have not seen;"
    I'd love to be a good example - instead, I am a horrible warning.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport