We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

I'm back (VERY SCARED) debt free diary

Options

Comments

• kelie
    kelie Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    Well done on the Avon order but I hope you are not neglecting your design work in favour of things like Avon and Amazon. That's something I am guilty of - using lower earning things as a displacement activity while failing to do potentially more lucrative 'real' work.

Mmm i probably have really because i wasnt able to do the design work when i was running errands for my parents. I really should get back to it as I know I earn a lot more money doing my internet / print design than i do shoving avon through doors lol, especially when they tell me to bog off. It is quite nice to not be sat on the computer all day, but maybe i should allocate specific amount of time for avon etc. Amazon marketplace takes seconds to list things, so the only time that takes is post office journeys. Its definately avon thats taking up a bit more time than i'd like, especially doing the sales leader thing where i visit potential reps and sign them up.
    Virgin CC: [STRIKE]-£374.70[/STRIKE] -£384.39 | Barclaycard: -£2016.05 | Egg CC: [STRIKE]- £781.13[/STRIKE] -£1450.28 | M&S CC: [STRIKE]-£980.40[/STRIKE] -£1026.29 | Natwest CC: -£1,605.60 | Tesco CC: [STRIKE]£1,567.10[/STRIKE] -£1334.10 |

Current Account Balance:
    -£2,808.96

• kdalwayskint
    Options
    Hi Kelie

You've had loads of posts since I popped in yesterday!

been in and out of the old and new flat today, normally get some internet time during the day, but will be cutting down in the next few weeks as when we are settled into the new flat, I won't be having the vmedia broadband any more and restricted to an hour or so in the evening with my vfone dongle thingy! My choice, just a way to cut costs for me!

Going back to the Avon thing, I used to enjoy the sign ups more than the collecting/delivering side of things, but you have to do both to get the money! I used to try to set days and the amount of time I would do it, but it can be time consuming, getting ready 100 or so brochures then posting then collecting! I think if you have a strong team and a good leader ahead of you it can work, but it is hard work!

Glad you seem a bit brighter in your posts hun x

Kel
    new challenge?
    £1 a day for Christmas 2024 £100.60 / £366 ~
    Got married 24/05/19 ~ Credit Card
    DFW Nerd #1155 ~
    LBM 25/2/09 ~ Debt at highest £8,037.35 ~ £0
  • kelie
    Options
    been in and out of the old and new flat today, normally get some internet time during the day, but will be cutting down in the next few weeks as when we are settled into the new flat, I won't be having the vmedia broadband any more and restricted to an hour or so in the evening with my vfone dongle thingy! My choice, just a way to cut costs for me!

Hiya :) I am impressed! I live on the internet. Good news is I have swapped my online clothes/accessories shopping / window shopping for spending time on this site and forum. So that's one good thing :)
    Going back to the Avon thing, I used to enjoy the sign ups more than the collecting/delivering side of things, but you have to do both to get the money! I used to try to set days and the amount of time I would do it, but it can be time consuming, getting ready 100 or so brochures then posting then collecting! I think if you have a strong team and a good leader ahead of you it can work, but it is hard work!

Must admit I am beginning to question whether this will make any money or if it just makes avon more money because you have to buy so many things, the books, my sales leader pack and books for new reps I sign up. If i get a successful rep sign up and they place an order for the minimum i get an allowance back for the books I bought them, but if they dont, you lose the money.

Then there is petrol to new starters. Bit nervous i'm going to be out of pocket rather than in pocket but not going to jack it in quite yet,will give it a little bit more time. Hoping to get up bright an early in the morning and get loads done. I procrastinate far too often! x
    Virgin CC: [STRIKE]-£374.70[/STRIKE] -£384.39 | Barclaycard: -£2016.05 | Egg CC: [STRIKE]- £781.13[/STRIKE] -£1450.28 | M&S CC: [STRIKE]-£980.40[/STRIKE] -£1026.29 | Natwest CC: -£1,605.60 | Tesco CC: [STRIKE]£1,567.10[/STRIKE] -£1334.10 |

Current Account Balance:
    -£2,808.96

• kelie
    Options
    • Finish of design proof for M. - to continue tomorrow
    • Continue working on website templates for D. - to continue tomorrow
    • [strike]Invoice S £180. - !!!!!! Ooooh its actually £210. Need book keeper lol[/strike]
    • [strike]Check up on money owed by C.[/strike]
    • [strike]Contact SJ Avon Guy about my new sales leader.[/strike]
    • Collect in last 2 avon brochures.
    • Find US checks and send them off.
    • [STRIKE]Find £60 cheque and take to the bank. found the cheque![/STRIKE]
    • Have a no spend day. - £7 tesco, only went in for milk argh!
    • [strike]Check if Seb paid me for business card design.[/strike] not yet keep checking daily although not due quite yet.
    • [STRIKE]Take my mum over to my uncle's[/STRIKE]
    • Hoover bedroom / upstairs hallway and change bedcovers
    • Think of domain name for business card design / print service and purchase.
    Not really getting much done yet, just spent an hour or more on the phone to my avon reps to see if they are placing an order and one has cancelled on me. :( Got to take my mum over to my uncles later too. Never ending!!!!

Current Account Balance:
    -£2,808.96

• epsilondraconis
    Options
    Kelie - although you work from home I think you need to treat your web design business like a 9-5 job. Okay, occasionally do other things during the day when they are absolutely necessary, but I think it will help if you had your focus firmly on your business for a while. I can just see it becoming a bit of a vicious circle where you don't get out of debt because you are running around doing lots of other things.

Edit: Perhaps getting to bed at a reasonable time and getting up in the morning ready to start work for 9am will have two advantages.

1. It ensures you stay focused on your important web design and

2. If you are quite noisy about getting up, it will encourage your OH to also get up and perhaps do osmething constructive with his day.
  • kelie
    Options
    Kelie - although you work from home I think you need to treat your web design business like a 9-5 job. Okay, occasionally do other things during the day when they are absolutely necessary, but I think it will help if you had your focus firmly on your business for a while. I can just see it becoming a bit of a vicious circle where you don't get out of debt because you are running around doing lots of other things.

I think thats actually a brilliant idea. Tomorrow I am in pontypool to do with avon, and then bristol. I just got back from dropping off my mum. I hate having to turn her down with things because she is very lonely but I can't do the running around every day. Thursday and Friday I am going to try and keep free from Avon and free from non work errands.

My OH is actually better at getting up than me lol we joke about it a lot because this morning for example he was up at 8am putting out the bins and I was yawning my head off cuddling the kitten in bed delaying actually getting out into the cold. Although I have noticed if he had a heavy drinking session the night before he is not quite so breezy. He has now had 4 days with no alcohol. I am very proud of him but dreading friday :(

Good news though I managed to get in a little template design order for £50. Hey i'm not complaining I like all orders, no matter how much they are worth :D

Current Account Balance:
    -£2,808.96

• epsilondraconis
    Options
    Great news about the 4 days alcohol free and the template design work, albeit only £50.

How about you and your OH go to the cinema on Friday night? Perhaps that would help keep him away from the booze, plus it'll be nice for you both to get out. Also, by having that to look forward to, you can focus on getting your work done.
  • kdalwayskint
    Options
    Hi Kelie

Nice kitty by the way!

How long have you been doing the sales leader thing? when I was doing it they recommended giving it at least 6 months to see how you go. If you get a big team very quick it helps and you see the money better, but if you let it slack off thats when it goes down hill.

Glad your OH has been off the booze for 4 days, its a step in the right direction for both of you.

Kel
    new challenge?
    £1 a day for Christmas 2024 £100.60 / £366 ~
    Got married 24/05/19 ~ Credit Card
    DFW Nerd #1155 ~
    LBM 25/2/09 ~ Debt at highest £8,037.35 ~ £0
  • kelie
    Options
    Nice kitty by the way!

How long have you been doing the sales leader thing? when I was doing it they recommended giving it at least 6 months to see how you go. If you get a big team very quick it helps and you see the money better, but if you let it slack off thats when it goes down hill.

I treat that cat like a baby lol, probably shouldn't spoil him quite so much.

I have been doing sales leadership only for a few weeks, I have 5 people in my team now so I will be promoted to full on SL instead of trainee. I've noticed I will be racking up the petrol though with going around signing people up. I am going to give it a few months and see if its worth it, but you're right it's only good if you have bucket loads of people in your team :)

Current Account Balance:
    -£2,808.96

• Seaxwyn
    Seaxwyn Posts: 4,896 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Kelie. Great news about the OH not drinking. I think epsilondraconis is quite right: you need to treat your web design business like a 9-5 job. So if you havent got any work in, you still sit at your desk working out ways of building the business, getting in touch with previous clients, updating your website or whatever. It's being a designer that is going to solve your money problems, not Avon. (I wish I could learn this lesson myself...)
    Total debt: 1 January 2007 £[strike]49,387.79[/strike] 1 January 2012 £[STRIKE]19,312.85[/STRIKE] 1 August 2012 £11,517.62

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport