We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

RescueMyCar.com any good?

Options

Comments

• derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dacouch wrote: »
    Here is Recuemycars reviewcentre reviews which for once actually look quite fair as they have a balance of good and bad reviews (People tend to normally only post negative reviews)

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews116736.html

The comments on there,(with the exception of the last one), are 18 months old, and the last one on 21st April 2009 is not complimentary, (also don't forget there is a £40. excess every time you use them, plus a premium rate revenue sharing 0844 number for contact); -
    rc_no.gif Guest.'s recommendationGood Points

None in our experience
    Bad Points

Unable to get through to the Emergency Number - kind of makes it worthless!
    General Comments

Diabolical! Rescuemycar.com
    My sister broke down at the weekend. We tried and tried to contact the Breakdown Emergency Number but it diverted overseas then went dead. Luckily she was not far from my house so I was able to arrange to bring her back to mine. Had she been out in the middle of nowhere, I have no doubt that she would still have been there now.
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• RescueMyCar_company_representative
    edited 5 May 2009 at 1:57PM
    Options
    RMC don't earn a profit share from the use of their 0844 number. This was the cheapest available non-geo number type at the time of the service being set up.

[STRIKE]In fact, I believe some mobile networks allow calls to this number from your inclusive minutes (when on a pay monthly contract). [/STRIKE]Ignore this bit - I was wrong!

The number failure described in the posting on Review Center was an isolated incident, caused by a failure at BT. RMC have posted a reply on Review Center (which hasn't been made live yet) requesting that the customer who made the post get in touch so that RMC may reimburse them any out of pocked expenses as a result of this failure.

derrick; Just to clarify, £40 excess only applies to a single 'budget' policy sold via Moneysupermarket.com. All other RMC products are 'excess free'
    derrick wrote: »
    The comments on there,(with the exception of the last one), are 18 months old, and the last one on 21st April 2009 is not complimentary, (also don't forget there is a £40. excess every time you use them, plus a premium rate revenue sharing 0844 number for contact); -
    Guest.'s recommendationGood Points

None in our experience
    Bad Points

Unable to get through to the Emergency Number - kind of makes it worthless!
    General Comments

Diabolical! Rescuemycar
    My sister broke down at the weekend. We tried and tried to contact the Breakdown Emergency Number but it diverted overseas then went dead. Luckily she was not far from my house so I was able to arrange to bring her back to mine. Had she been out in the middle of nowhere, I have no doubt that she would still have been there now.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of RescueMyCar. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to abuse@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • DebtHater
    DebtHater Posts: 1,053 Forumite
    Options
    In fact, I believe some mobile networks allow calls to this number from your inclusive minutes (when on a pay monthly contract).

Sorry, incorrect.

BT now, as part of their line rental, give free 0845 and 0870 calls according to your line rental package. This does not include 0844 and obviously, this only applies to your landline phone.

Mobile phone networks all charge for 0845/0870/0844 and both my contracts (different operators) charge 15p per minute for the calls to these types of numbers.

Regardless of who makes the revenue from the 0844, the fact is a revenue is being generated, it might end up being the telephone provider pocketing the revenue in payment for the number line rental
  • DebtHater wrote: »
    Sorry, incorrect.

BT now, as part of their line rental, give free 0845 and 0870 calls according to your line rental package. This does not include 0844 and obviously, this only applies to your landline phone.

Mobile phone networks all charge for 0845/0870/0844 and both my contracts (different operators) charge 15p per minute for the calls to these types of numbers.

Regardless of who makes the revenue from the 0844, the fact is a revenue is being generated, it might end up being the telephone provider pocketing the revenue in payment for the number line rental

Thanks debthater.

I'm making some calls to the networks today, just to confirm what you're saying is 100% accurate. (you sound fairly sure!). Assuming it is, i'm sure RMC will look seriously into the use of this number
    I am the official company representative of RescueMyCar. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to abuse@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • DebtHater
    DebtHater Posts: 1,053 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks debthater.

I'm making some calls to the networks today, just to confirm what you're saying is 100% accurate. (you sound fairly sure!). Assuming it is, i'm sure RMC will look seriously into the use of this number

Orange, o2, Vodafone & 3 have all charged me for what they call "premium" numbers, anything beginning 08 or 09

I imagine that is why the SayNoTo0870 website is so popular, I used it to find out green flag's number (as they use 0800 and its not free from my mobile) and the site gave me the 01 number that the 08 number points to. Maybe RescueMyCar can advertise an 01 number for mobile phone customers?
  • MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just give out the geographic there in no need for non geo numbers unless you are going to give free calls 0800.

Auto Aids line is a geo number it is just so simple you know exactly how much you will be paying ie on mobile contracts nothing!
  • Thanks debthater.

You're right!

BT 5ppm (landline)
    Mobiles vary 15ppm/30ppm.

I've passed this information to my supervisor to look at in more detail. In the mean time, any RMC customers worried about call charges - if you do need to call from your mobile, ask us to call you back once connected and we'll be happy to do so. (We normally offer to do this in any case)
  • RescueMyCar_company_representative
    edited 5 May 2009 at 11:02AM
    Options
    MX5huggy wrote: »
    Just give out the geographic there in no need for non geo numbers unless you are going to give free calls 0800.

Auto Aids line is a geo number it is just so simple you know exactly how much you will be paying ie on mobile contracts nothing!

Sure, the geo number is 01423 535 786, but I'd suggest that also storing the 0844 number, as the geographical number is only operational between 6am and 10pm. (hence the need for the non-geo number). Whilst the 0844 is obviously available 24/7/365

RMC use the non-geo number as they have two call centers and the number flicks between the two. It also provides call diversion in the event of floors/powercuts etc etc.
    Orange, o2, Vodafone & 3 have all charged me for what they call "premium" numbers, anything beginning 08 or 09

I imagine that is why the SayNoTo0870 website is so popular, I used it to find out green flag's number (as they use 0800 and its not free from my mobile) and the site gave me the 01 number that the 08 number points to. Maybe RescueMyCar can advertise an 01 number for mobile phone customers?

Very good point. I've asked this to be added to the website. (Although it's only available 6am 10pm... 0844 number must be used outside these hours)

Right, following DebtHaters suggestion, our IT dept has added the geographical number on to the RMC websites 'contact us' page. I can't post the URL here, but trust me - it's on there! :)

Thanks again for the suggestion.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport