We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

RescueMyCar.com any good?

Options

Comments

• Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    sassy-one wrote: »
    RescueMyCar company representative

Have you asked Admin to allow you to post on this forum?! As your user name is NOT in green, meaning they have not granted you permission to post.

I have flagged your account as against forum rules to post acti9ng or representing a company/firm without first gaining permission from the Admin team.

Company reps user names are in purple, not green and you obviously missed this post which gave the user permission at that time to post although this was some 14 months ago as stated above.
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Hi everyone

RescueMyCar has permission to post now. As per the standard signature (which will show up when they next post) if you feel any of their posts don't meet the forum rules please do let us know by reporting them as you would with any other forum poster to [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].

Andrea :)
  • Zanzibar
    Zanzibar Posts: 193 Forumite
    Options
    buklah wrote: »
    I for one was just searching for breakdown and had some doubts about RMC before reading this post. I can definitely say I am signing up immediately with them after reading this.

<blah blah>

Like I said simply based on this thread, I am signing up.

No you arent. Stop being silly.

Join the RAC with your handy Teso points - you get their full package for about £56. Hoorah.
  • buklah
    Options
    Zanzibar wrote: »
    No you arent. Stop being silly.

Join the RAC with your handy Teso points - you get their full package for about £56. Hoorah.

Sorry too late..... :A:rotfl::)
  • Money_saving_Martyn
    Money_saving_Martyn Posts: 220 Forumite
    edited 22 August 2010 at 5:34PM
    Options
    I've found Insurance Choice very competitive.

They use a network of local breakdown suppliers - just like AA and RAC do when they have too much work on.

http://breakdown.insurancechoice.co.uk/compare.php

£29 for good cover. £19 for cover with a £40 excess.

I wouldn't use Rescue my Car just because of the excess and the cost compared to IC's offer.
    Please note: I am NOT Martin Lewis, just somebody else called Martyn that likes money saving!
  • rich2766
    Options
    Yeah, I know I did it all wrong...

I signed up with Rescue My Car through Moneysupermarket.com before I came across this site. I only found MSE when looking for reviews about the company and the cover RMC provide.

Anyway, I've read through the small print/policy info. and the only mention that I can see about any £40 excess refers to fraud.

The info. said that;
    General Cover Exclusions
    Applying to all sections unless otherwise stated:
    This contract does not cover the following: -

7. To prevent fraud the first £40 of any claim within 72 hours of
    cover coming into force.
    8. To help prevent fraud recovery will be limited to a maximum of
    10 miles in the first 72 hours of your policy. Additional mileage
    will be at your cost.

The way I read that is, any claim after the 72 hour period won't incure a £40 excess.

Try to take a lend of their service and it'll cost you an extra £40.
    I think that's fair enough.

I took out a "Silver" policy for £25.95 and PLEASE tell me if I'm wrong, but I thought I had bought breakdown cover for and including up to 1 hours labour for a roadside repair, recovery to a garage and if that's not possible, recovery for the vehicle (and up to 7 people) back to my home address.

Is that not right?

I was looking for an outfit that would let me pay a set fee up front, so that I didn't have to worry about paying a bill and hoping I got my money back, or lining the pockets of the big 3.

Just so you all know, I'm a time served vehicle mechanic and I've worked as a diesel fitter for almost a decade. So if I ever do require the services of Rescue My Car and they try to B.S. regarding a roadside car repair, I'll let you all know ASAP.

I hope to hear from RescueMyCar company representative, if you do come back on, can you tell me, have I bought the product I thought I had?

Many thanks,

rich2766.
  • DCS17
    Options
    Good points
    Good sales team to get you signed up
    Quick telephone response in emergency.
    Polite staff.
    45 min mechanic response in my case

BUT
    Having got the "Comprehensive Plus" policy to include recovery home, I found at the roadside that the small print excludes tyre related events from recovery home. Only 10 miles allowed then £2.50/mile after that!
    My situation. Tyre shredded. No spare (run flat tyres and so manufacturer does not include spare in new car spec). So needed new tyre.
    Recovery limit OK if local tyre place is within 10 miles and has your tyres in stock and can fix car the same day. Not so in my case so would have been stranded overnight if I had not paid ++ for recovery home. No help from RMC whose staff (including supervisor) stuck rigidly to the policy despite the unusual circumstances.
    Cancelled my policy and will be using a proper rescue organisation in future.

Overall I would recommend for roadside repairs only. Do not be fooled into thinking you have a full recovery home service with RMC. You do not. read the small print carefully (if you can find it on their website before you buy!)
  • strawpanda
    strawpanda Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They charge £7.50 to change car details, refuse to disclose the CEO's name, and come across as smug.
  • stickgal
    stickgal Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    AUG 2011
    I am currently doing the comparison thingy with my car breakdown policy, as per any Moneysaving Lover will tend to do. Researching the companies who have provided my price-range quotes, I came upon this Thread, read through and looked at the website directly. The policy details are sketchy to say the least, so I defo wont buy something that Im not sure exactly what Im getting (sensible), and I cant seem to get any details of exactly who this company are directly. Additionally, they are 'secured' by some company I have never heard of (more research? - urgh!), and they ask you to pay for your documents.
    Frustratingly, after filling out the quote details online, I had not even had time to click off the site to make sure my details were not passed on or used for sales calls, when they PHONED ME ON THE NUMBER I HAD TO SUBMIT! :mad: Seriously, it was about 15 SECONDS AFTER I HAD FILLED OUT MY DETAILS.
    As far as Breakdown Cover is concerned, I have no opinion with the company, & nor will I as I personally feel annoyed that I recieved a sales call before I had even had time to decide, & read their policy details.
    Aggressive Marketing just screams 'Run Away, Run Away' to me!!
  • stevexyg
    Options
    I just joined to comment on this particular thread as not many here have had experience with rescue my car.

I've been a member for about 4years and called them out twice - once for a starter motor failure and once for fuel related issue. Both times I got through to call centre no probs and a recovery guy was there around the 40min mark. Got trailered home 115miles for first call out and had roadside repair with the other fault.

So no problems to report. What some people might not understand is these breakdown recovery companies (excuding aa/rac) use local rescue operators for call outs so all they do really is handle your phone call. Not much can go wrong in that respect so go with whoever you want they are all the same. They don't all use the same number of rescue agent however and RMC appear to have 4x more agents than StartRescue according to their own websites. What this means you can't say for sure but possibly you could end up waiting longer at busy times with startrescue?? Maybe not though as they claim similar response times.

As for people on here complaining about a company sticking to it's conditions (which you agreed to) I find that absurd. I wouldn't want to be a member of a company that blithely forks out money for some complaining idiot who refuses to carry a spare wheel. Why should other members subsidise a long trailertrip home because you are silly enough not to have a cheap spare in the boot? Get a life. Get a spare.:rotfl:
  • SlipperyJim63
    Options
    I'm shopping for breakdown cover mainly because we are making a long Christmas drive to see family in a couple of weeks. Having seen various quotes from Compare the Market, of which RMC was by far the cheapest, I've read this whole thread. I called the geographic and 0845 main number and got through in seconds to the same call-handler, so they do pick up at 3:30 on a Thursday!

I've come to the conclusion that what is said above is 100% correct: you are paying for a service to handle your call and quickly call out a good, local recovery service, then pick up the bill within their terms.

I'm quite happy paying a £40 excess if I have a call out. In thirty years of driving I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times I've used a breakdown service -however, when you need it you need it to work well.

What I don't want is the possibility that I'll be stuck at the roadside a hundred miles from home with a car full of kids and a dog and no way of getting help. For £19.80 I'll at least have someone to call the local cavalry and get me to civilization if I can't get back on the road. It will cost me about £90 to fill the tank so their £20 premium can be put in perspective.

Oddly, the comparison website policy wording says the exclusion is: "The first £40 of any claim made within 72 hours of cover being purchased" -which seems fair enough.

However their direct website says in very bold blue: "The Cover you have chosen has a £40.00 excess for all claims. You will need a current
    credit or debit card with funds available prior to a recovery agent being dispatched." (I'm not allowed to post links to these docs it seems.)

If I hadn't read this thread (and others) but just bought from the comparison site, I'd be seriously miffed to find that the excess was in fact on all claims. Having thought about it I now actually think this suits my preferences.

The website and policy wording have the geographic number clearly displayed, with the caveat of needing to use the 0844 number out of hours, as mentioned above.

I know that all you diehard moneysavers out there will have a fit, but as my printer is bust I am actually going to pay £2.50 to get the policy wording, the card (which can live in the car) and their keyfobs so that my wife and daughter can have the number to hand. My wife thinks that we should get the same cover on our other little car so that we're covered there too.

Anyway, that's my thoughts. Hopefully I'll never be able to let you know how they perform. By the way, my top tip for winter is to buy cheap screenwash from a supermarket and don't add water when you topup the washer fluid, just straight screenwash! It saves the washers freezing up on the motorway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport