We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

RescueMyCar.com any good?

Options

Comments

• SlipperyJim63
    Options
    Well I took too long filling in my details and their website went back to the start again, but just I heaved a sigh I got a call -from them! I'd read the thread above so was ready for it when I saw the 01423 number. Friendly and helpful bloke said that, as both cars are ancient they couldn't offer a discount for two, but he offered to send welcome packs for free!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    All these rescue companies are a bit dodgy. Even the ones that will take your car to any destination, e.g home, will still only do that if a local garage can't fix that day. Meaning if the so called local garage can fix it, you could end up paying a lot for than your local garage at home.
  • janineb_2
    Options
    i took out breakdown cover with this company and wish i had read this site before. i used them because they were cheaper than other companies and know i now why. i broke down on motorway and was left stranded on the hard shoulder in the dark alone. when i rang for assistance and pressed option 1 for breakdown at scene, no one answered! music was played. no safety mesage or someone will answer your call shortly message, nothing , the police ended up arriving and saying that it was too long for me to wait and to ring someone else which i did, got the RAC out and they were brilliant. I later contacted the company to complain who at first denied i had rung until i produced my phone bill, then they said it was a busy period of night and that they cant gurantee an immediate response! it was 4.30pm.. not exactly rush hour. if you can guarantee you aregoing to breakdown when there is no traffic on the road, use this company but if not pay a bit more and get a decent recovery, this company cannot compete and refuse any form of compensation.
  • a_hari
    Options
    Called them out Saturday evening at 6.30 after breaking down just before the Hammersmith Fly over.

Was given a 1 hour eta, I called for an update after 90 mins and they said they went to the wrong petrol station but was on my road. (I had given them post code, street address and land marks).

Another 3 hours later I gave up and made other arrangements as it was clear that they were not going to come. Even though I paid a call out fee on the initial call.

They did refund the call out fee but not the policy which turned out to be worthless.

Some things are not worth saving a few quid over, just glad it happened to me and not my Mother or sisters.
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Options
    I was with rescuemycar for one year, then they put their premiums up on renewal, couldn't get them to bring it down to a reasonable amount, and so I've been with ICB since then.

rescuemycar was fine for me though in that year, think I called them out a couple of times, and they always showed up.

I had problems with the RAC giving incorrect directions to the flatbed company when I was with them a few years ago, they gave them directions to the northbound services when they'd left me at the southbound, so it was literally hours (and about £20 worth of mobile phone calls) to get it sorted out and get us home (with a toddler in the car at night).
  • salsami
    Options
    hi yes i have had a policy with them for the last year and i broke down today.... called them, to be told i was within a mile from my home so i wasnt covered and that i would have to pay a further £75. Once i organised an independant tow truck to tow me to the garage (£40) i went home and googled the distance and i was actually 3.467 miles away from my home so basically i was left stranded with my two babies in a broken down car with a policy and a company that failed me! so to sum it up i wouldnt recommend them to anyone.... cheaper isnt always the best.
    :mad: I have sent an email of complaint... I guess they will just dismiss it but hopefully someone else will be saved from the hassle they caused me and invest with a better break down company with reading these messages "Rescue my car.com" is not worth peoples time and money
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    salsami wrote: »
    hi yes i have had a policy with them for the last year and i broke down today.... called them, to be told i was within a mile from my home so i wasnt covered and that i would have to pay a further £75. Once i organised an independant tow truck to tow me to the garage (£40) i went home and googled the distance and i was actually 3.467 miles away from my home so basically i was left stranded with my two babies in a broken down car with a policy and a company that failed me! so to sum it up i wouldnt recommend them to anyone.... cheaper isnt always the best.
    :mad: I have sent an email of complaint... I guess they will just dismiss it but hopefully someone else will be saved from the hassle they caused me and invest with a better break down company with reading these messages "Rescue my car.com" is not worth peoples time and money

You didn't know whether you were within 1 mile, or more than 3 miles, from your home without resorting to google?

:huh:
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • salsami
    Options
    When I form a complaint with either a company or persons I myself like to have the correct facts to hand, so to say that I was 3.467 miles from home sounds so much better than "i must be more than a mile surely!" the reason for my post was to alert other drivers of this situation for their future reference with this company
  • ajittkumar
    Options
    They charge you excess. Why?
    AA/RAC they do not charge.
    Very bad customer CARE.
  • BML
    BML Posts: 220 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I just had a renewal from Rescue my car and they tried playing the same trick so many organisations do by starting at a reasonable price and then thumping it up by 40% so I'm off elswhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport