We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

RescueMyCar.com any good?

Options

Comments

• derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    RMC don't earn a profit share from the use of their 0844 number. This was the cheapest available non-geo number type at the time of the service being set up.

In fact, I believe some mobile networks allow calls to this number from your inclusive minutes (when on a pay monthly contract).

The number failure described in the posting on Review Center was an isolated incident, caused by a failure at BT. RMC have posted a reply on Review Center (which hasn't been made live yet) requesting that the customer who made the post get in touch so that RMC may reimburse them any out of pocked expenses as a result of this failure.

derrick; Just to clarify, £40 excess only applies to a single 'budget' policy sold via Moneysupermarket.com. All other RMC products are 'excess free'

It does not matter that you do not earn a profit from the number, it is a revenue sharing number not included in ANY phone package! and someone is making a profit from it, if RMC do not take a cheque each month, there will be a financial incentive for you to use this type of number, either by free/subsidised call handling, free/subsidised outgoing calls, free software support etc, if none of these, then RMC are also very stupid as they will be allowing all of the extra revenue to be kept by their telco!

RMC use the non-geo number as they have two call centers and the number flicks between the two. It also provides call diversion in the event of floors/powercuts etc etc.

There is absolutely no need to use a revenue sharing number for these facilities! The same facilities can be used on 01/02 and the newer 03 numbers.
    It is not the number that give the facilities but the apparatus behind them, the number just points to the service, that is why you will find that most,(if not all), 084/087 numbers are laid on top of a geographical number, just the same as your 0844 number will have, might I suggest that you find out what the underlying geo number is for your 0844 number then post it!
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• derrick wrote: »
    There is absolutely no need to use a revenue sharing number for these facilities! The same facilities can be used on 01/02 and the newer 03 numbers.
    It is not the number that give the facilities but the apparatus behind them, the number just points to the service, that is why you will find that most,(if not all), 084/087 numbers are laid on top of a geographical number, just the same as your 0844 number will have, might I suggest that you find out what the underlying geo number is for your 0844 number then post it!

Trust me derrick; if RMC's telephone system supported diversion from their geographical numbers - they'd be using them. It doesn't. I've passed the call charging information on to my supervisors who are looking into alternatives. (I'm sure you appreciate, changing the emergency number needs serious consideration)

In the mean time, geo number has been posted.

Thanks for the feedback
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of RescueMyCar. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to abuse@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • DebtHater
    DebtHater Posts: 1,053 Forumite
    Options
    derrick wrote: »
    It does not matter that you do not earn a profit from the number, it is a revenue sharing number not included in ANY phone package! and someone is making a profit from it, if RMC do not take a cheque each month, there will be a financial incentive for you to use this type of number, either by free/subsidised call handling, free/subsidised outgoing calls, free software support etc, if none of these, then RMC are also very stupid as they will be allowing all of the extra revenue to be kept by their telco!

Derrick, calm down, you are just repeating what I have said but in a more abrupt way. As Sarah as posted, it has been dealt with :T
  • derrick
    Options
    Trust me derrick; if RMC's telephone system supported diversion from their geographical numbers - they'd be using them. It doesn't. I've passed the call charging information on to my supervisors who are looking into alternatives. (I'm sure you appreciate, changing the emergency number needs serious consideration)

In the mean time, geo number has been posted.

Thanks for the feedback

Your system will support the numbers, it is just that your directors won't get the financial rewards from geo numbers! I have already informed you that it is not the number that creates the system the number is just a pointer and any number can point!

There are many companies that offer this, e.g TTNC

• derrick
    edited 5 May 2009 at 1:08PM
    Options
    DebtHater wrote: »
    As Sarah as posted, it has been dealt with :T

No it hasn't, the number posted is only available 0600-2200; - "(Although it's only available 6am 10pm... 0844 number must be used outside these hours)"

Your system will support the numbers, it is just that your directors won't get the financial rewards from geo numbers! I have already informed you that it is not the number that creates the system the number is just a pointer and any number can point!

There are many companies that offer this, e.g TTNC

Hi derrick. If you don't want to believe what I'm saying, then that's unfortunate. The bottom line is that RMC's telephone system (which I'm assuming you've never had access too?!) does not allow diversion... which is why they utilise hosted non-geo numbers.

I've also already stated that RMC do not personally earn from the use of the 0844 number.

Following feedback received via MSE - I've given out the geo number on here, added it to our website, offered to immediately call back any customers concerned about call charges, and confirmed that we're looking into alternative numbers to replace the current 0844 non-geo. I don't see what else I can do to put you at ease??
    I am the official company representative of RescueMyCar. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to abuse@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • DebtHater
    DebtHater Posts: 1,053 Forumite
    Options
    Following feedback received via MSE - I've given out the geo number on here, added it to our website, offered to immediately call back any customers concerned about call charges, and confirmed that we're looking into alternative numbers to replace the current 0844 non-geo. I don't see what else I can do to put you at ease??

I think what RMC have done is acceptable - you are now 100% in line with what RAC/AA/greenFlag do, and the fact that you will call customers back is great, most others wont.

Well done :T:T
  • derrick
    Options
    Hi derrick. If you don't want to believe what I'm saying, then that's unfortunate. The bottom line is that RMC's telephone system (which I'm assuming you've never had access too?!) does not allow diversion... which is why they utilise hosted non-geo numbers.

I've also already stated that RMC do not personally earn from the use of the 0844 number.

It is not a case of putting me at ease, it is the point that companies like yours keep on with the lie that,"we can only operate on non geo numbers" this is simply not true.

If RMC really do not earn from the revenue generating 0844 numbers, then more fool the company as your telco is keeping all the extra income, although as I said in my post #23, "there will be a financial incentive for you to use this type of number, either by free/subsidised call handling, free/subsidised outgoing calls, free software support etc", as this is usually how they work, maybe your bosses are not telling you everything!

The bottom line is that these numbers cost your customers a lot of money to call, don't forget most will be calling from a mobile!

• derrick
    Options
    DebtHater wrote: »
    I think what RMC have done is acceptable - you are now 100% in line with what RAC/AA/greenFlag do, and the fact that you will call customers back is great, most others wont.

Well done :T:T

But we only know about that from this thread! Is it on the website? And are their operators aware of it?

But we only know about that from this thread! Is it on the website? And are their operators aware of it?

The geo number was added to RMC's website earlier today, following feedback/suggestions from this thread. (if you read back a few posts)

Operators will offer to call any customer back if they're concerned about call charges. (I'm one of the operators - so I know for sure!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport