Best Cashback Cards Article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• OverlandLandy
    Options
    Xstyle wrote:
    I spent £17,865 in the last year on my Morgan Stanley Platinum credit card.... I'm wandering if I can get more cashback!
    Again, Amex is not widely accepted... so maybe Egg {Money? }is the way?

Many thanks.

I cannot comment on all of your questions however:

Egg Money will still not guarantee that the 1% cash back will continue, after a 10min conversation (again) with them today the said it could theoretically finish tomorrow.

In terms of Amex not being widely accepted......Not sure about that one. It all depends where you shop. In the past few days I have used my Amex platinum for Fuel,Plumbing supplies and Land rover parts (one supplier and a main dealer). Travel companies accept Amex as do most hotels and eating places. I agree that many smaller retailers will not take Amex. So I guess it all depends on your buying patterns.

I have cancelled my Thomas Cook card as it has now gone to MBNA points (worthless). I intend to take out an Egg card if they ever make a decision on the 1% cash back! Failing that I will take out a Conran card!
    I am NOT a Woman! - its Overland Landy (as in A Landrover that travels Overland):rolleyes:

Better to be approximately right than precisely wrong.
  • ali99
    ali99 Posts: 319 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello

Like Blackcloud who posted here a few posts ago, I am also a bit confused as to how the cashback works with the Conran card - could someone explain? Martins article says it is 1% cashback. I see it is 1 share per £100, but how do you know that equates to a pound? Doesn't it depend how well they are doing, and do you then have to sell your shares?
    Please help!
    Ali
  • scl_2
    scl_2 Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    Hello

I have a Amex Blue card which I no longer use as I've switched to Egg Money as I can use it every where
    Its recently been credited with my cash back.
    Can I transfer the money off the card to my current account or do I just have to spend it on the card ?

Thanks
  • pin
    pin Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ali99 wrote:
    Hello

Like Blackcloud who posted here a few posts ago, I am also a bit confused as to how the cashback works with the Conran card - could someone explain? Martins article says it is 1% cashback. I see it is 1 share per £100, but how do you know that equates to a pound? Doesn't it depend how well they are doing, and do you then have to sell your shares?
    Please help!
    Ali

Its a profit share scheme. Guaranteed profit share is 0.8%, however for as long as I remember they have always paid out 1%.
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi
  • oly2c
    oly2c Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    Not exactly cashback but the ASDA credit card knocks 2p per litre of fuel bought at their filling stations which is about 2.4% on petrol at the moment. As ASDA petrol is as cheap or cheaper than it's rivals I will be using this for my petrol purchases whenever convenient.
    You also get points for vouchers amounting to 0.5% on all Asda purchases. This appears to be in addition to the 2p off petrol in filling stations.
    There is also 0% interest on retail purchases and credit transfers for 6 months but I'm not sure if petrol would be considered a retail purchase. If not I'm not certain how I can take advantage of the 0% period.
    I'll use my Egg Money card until thats clarified.
    if i had known then what i know now
  • trueman_2
    Options
    Just found out that the GE Money card only pays 3% on certain supermarket
    and petrol stations...namely Tesco, Sainsbury's Asda and some of the big
    petroleum chains like Shell. I queried it with their help line, and they said I
    should have received a letter detailing suppliers. I didn't. I was on the phone
    for over 20 minutes costing nearly 8p per minute + Vat, and still I didn't get put through to their customer complaint dept. It would seem you get .5% on other purchases. Be selective over the suppliers you use when using your GE
    card, they have obviously set up a deal with them. Britannia BS pays the same .5% but I believe you also get points towards your annual loyalty bonus.
  • skdotcom
    skdotcom Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    ant737 wrote:
    Have been thoroughly disapointed with Amex Plat card.
    I have spent over 13000 and recieved £147 in cash back.
    New reduced pay out not worth bothering with.

Just go 0% and put your cash in a good savings account!

I too have been disapointed with my AMEX card. It gets refused far too often. Having just checked my CC statements, I've spent £8742 on my AMEX in the past 11 months, but have had to use my back up credit card (Morgan Stanley) for £3638 of purchases over that period.
  • jimbo_the_jetset
    Options
    I use the Egg Money card for cashback and I jave to say I prefer it to other out there on the market because you get a minimum of 1% on all purchases, whereas some others only give you cashback on fuel or groceries etc.

I'm quite a fan of egg because you don't have to worry about paying on time. Just set up the direct debit and it takes the money when required, one way to avoid paying late payment charges!!

And the best thing with the Egg Money card (as i've just found out). If you get a balance transfer card like the long HSBC one currently on offer. You can only transfer balances from other credit cards with the HSBC card. If you transfer this to your Egg Money, you will have a positive balance which you can spend & earn interest on. But you can also transfer these funds back to your bank account without any of these nasty handling charges. Bonus!! Helpful to pay off loans or overdrafts where the new 0% card you are getting doesn't allow transfers from these.
  • sashacat
    sashacat Posts: 821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The problem with egg money cash back card is that it only pays t a maximum of £200 per year..once your cashback reaches £200 you get nothing on the rest. I've just applied for the amex card for this reason.
    Wombling £457.41
  • OverlandLandy
    Options
    I'm still waiting confirmation from Egg as to when the '1% cashback until 2007' will end? :confused:

They will not commit, and just keep telling me that it was only ever guaranteed until 1st Jan 2007....I'm welcome to apply...but to be aware that the cash back could finish at ant moment.................then they tell me about all the other benifits...etc...etc...etc...!
    I am NOT a Woman! - its Overland Landy (as in A Landrover that travels Overland):rolleyes:

Better to be approximately right than precisely wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure