The all new dooyoo help thread reloaded!

Options
Hi all,

let us try and keep this thread to what the last one originally was. A nice place to discuss dooyoo and its finer details and ask questions about it.:beer: Let me start by reposting a few valuable resources for anyone interested in dooyoo.

I've just joined Dooyoo. How do I get started?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...&postcount=535 (Mattygroves)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...&postcount=510 (CampFreddy)

For those interested in maximising your earnings:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1155037

For those who want some info on dooyoo, and writing reviews in general:

http://www.opinionators.co.uk/mainboard/viewforum.php?f=11&sid=d6032cde90ef2ce06381ddf833c3e08a

How do I add products to Dooyoo?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...&postcount=513 (CampFreddy)

Any questions about dooyoo there are long standing members and Guides on MSE so feel free to ask.

Comments

• mattygroves_3
    Options
    Well, as per Jo's request, a nice shiny new Dooyoo thread.

For anyone coming into this new, http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/ is a site where consumers can research products they may be thinking of buying. The reviews come from users like you and me - real world users of the products and services. In addition, there's a speakers' corner where users can write more creative or general stuff.

If you register and join dooyoo, you can earn 50p per review posted (in actual consumer categories - not in speakers' corner), plus 1.5p per member read. If you write an especially fine review, you can get a crown, worth £1.50. In addition, there are monthly competitions, worth up to £5.00.

Thing is, though, you can't just churn out a whole bunch of 150 (the minimum) word reviews and expect to get rich. There are site rules, readable here, but which can be summarised:
    1. Be original and don't copy.
    2. Make sure your Premium Reviews are of premium quality.
    3. Post each review only once.
    4. Rate reviews honestly, and read all reviews properly before making your rating.
    5. Be helpful, polite, and friendly.
    Other rules of thumb to get both the best ratings, to have the most fun, and to contribute the most to the community:

1. Write well - proofread your work - spelling and grammar matter, and correctly spaced, spelled and punctuated reviews will be easier to read, get better ratings and are more likely to get a crown, plus they'll be more useful to the consumer

2. Contribute to the community - read around. Don't feel you have to rate everyone who rates you, but you should read around widely in those topics that interest you. A decent rule of thumb is to read more (up to double) than your reviews are read.

3. Don't churn. If you churn (i.e. post loads of reviews in a short space of time) each review will get fewer ratings (if you are really prolific you may end up with reviews with no ratings), and the quality is likely to suffer.

4. Rate fairly. Rate as you see fit - don't worry about how everyone else has rated - I wrote a prize winning review that did not receive all VUs (even though it did net me £5.00). Conversely, don't worry about how other people rate you - it's not necessarily revenge rating (i.e. someone downrating your reviews because of a rating you gave them) even if your review has 150 VUs - someone may well not find it that useful, either because they're looking for a specific bit of information, or because there is something within the review that was just less then helpful to them. Ratings should not be personal!

5. The guides are there to help. There are several of us on here - I'm one, cmh4135 is - there are others here too (please guys - speak up - raise your hands and make yourselves known!) Message us if you'd like advice, guidance, need help communicating with the Powers That Be, and so forth.

6. Have fun!

I do hope all this helps - have fun, and be careful out there :)

Cheers
  • jo_b_2
    jo_b_2 Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks very much for this.

A very useful opening post to a nice new thread. :j
  • twiglet66
    Options
    Thanks for the new thread, I have just joined Dooyoo and am looking around before I write my first review!
  • cmh4135
    cmh4135 Posts: 199 Forumite
    Options
    just popping by to say "hi" and to say, "yes, I'm here to help!"
  • hcb42
    hcb42 Posts: 5,962 Forumite
    Options
    And me now I have signed up! (PS: can anyone explain how I subscribe to the thread, I might be being ultra dumb here...but I cannot see it!)
  • barongreenback
    Options
    And me now I have signed up! (PS: can anyone explain how I subscribe to the thread, I might be being ultra dumb here...but I cannot see it!)

Thread tools at top of thread, subscribe or you can do it when replying in a drop down menu.
  • Camp_Freddy
    Camp_Freddy Posts: 242 Forumite
    Options
    If you have any questions about the site, contact a guide. They know more than most other members about the running of the site and will be able to help you if you're having difficulties. You can contact any of the guides with any issue.

Failing that, here's that list of forums again.They're not busy, but they're arguably a better resource for Dooyoo and other sites like it. All you need to do is join up and ask questions.

Anyway, those forums in full (again):
    http://www.opinionators.co.uk/mainboard/index.php
    http://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com/forum.htm

I'm a long-standing member, having been a guide a few times in a few different categories, so if you want a hand, give me a shout.
  • brooke3
    brooke3 Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    Are we still allowed discussions in this thread?

What does everyone think about leaving comments on peoples reviews if you rate SU or NU.
    I was doing it for a while but people didn't seem to like it and I have to say I'm not sure that I would appreciate it but then some people seem to think it's rude if you don't leave a comment.
    Opinions?
  • mattygroves_3
    Options
    brooke3 wrote: »
    Are we still allowed discussions in this thread?

What does everyone think about leaving comments on peoples reviews if you rate SU or NU.
    I was doing it for a while but people didn't seem to like it and I have to say I'm not sure that I would appreciate it but then some people seem to think it's rude if you don't leave a comment.
    Opinions?

Hiya. I don't as a rule - people can take such comments the wrong way, and I don't want people to think that I'm speaking with the 'voice of dooyoo' as it were - what is missing to me isn't necessarily missing to others, and what I consider poor may not be so to all (for example, I am a real stickler for good English, but unless it's really poor, I wouldn't tend to comment). However, if the review is clearly copied, I'll NU and put the source material in the comment, so that other raters can see it. Also, if there is a clear mistake in facts, I'll comment for the same reason. And if there is something that is probably just an oversite (for example, a quoted passage that hasn't been attributed, but the reviewer was probably not trying to plagiarise) I'd probably comment. If the review is in the wrong place, I'd also comment.

Having said all that, I'd always be happy to make myself available if the reviewer wants to ask about a rate, though I wouldn't promise to re-rate. This is especially true, I think, for guides.

Part of the reason I don't put an essay everytime I rate below a U is that I don't want to give the impression that just because I have 'guide' in green below my picture that what I say, what I think, and how I rate is in any way official dooyoo policy. It's not. We're there to guide and advise - we're not, in general terms, police or teachers.

Hope that helps!
  • cmh4135
    cmh4135 Posts: 199 Forumite
    Options
    Brooke, I think you have to play it by ear. I don't automatically comment and sometimes, as a guide, get it in the neck from members who think I MUST comment. Sometimes I comment and then get a barrage of abuse. I now say in my profile that I'll always give feedback if asked but won't necessarily do so unsolicited.

I find that it's easier, and arguably better, just to leave feedback if you have something to add that a consumer will find useful. Maybe you agree, maybe you disagree, maybe you want to ask a question. Where you think something should have been included it's often less confrontational to ask a question rather than saying you should have included xyz. The comments section is for the consumer too - not the writer - something that's oft forgotten.

Personal comments should, really, be done by PM.

Hope this helps (and remember it's just my view).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure