V A N Q U I S

Options

Comments

• wlasikiewicz
    Options
    Watch yourself with Vanquis.

I only say that because I pay everything online including my vanquis bill each month an a few months ago they locked me out of my online account for 2 months. In this time I called them over 20 times, emailed them tons of times. I never got a reply via email. When I called I was just told to reset my password which I did over and over then I was hit with late charges plus interest plus purchase interest etc. I think VAT was in there somewhere.

To top it all off I got a huge bill. My line of credit was £250. I spent £200 (car stuff) now I have to pay £433 back as of today and I still can't get access to my online account.

They have now started calling me from various numbers asking me to give them my bank details to setup a direct debit. It's all a mess so please be careful.
  • Watch yourself with Vanquis.

I only say that because I pay everything online including my vanquis bill each month an a few months ago they locked me out of my online account for 2 months. In this time I called them over 20 times, emailed them tons of times. I never got a reply via email. When I called I was just told to reset my password which I did over and over then I was hit with late charges plus interest plus purchase interest etc. I think VAT was in there somewhere.

To top it all off I got a huge bill. My line of credit was £250. I spent £200 (car stuff) now I have to pay £433 back as of today and I still can't get access to my online account.

They have now started calling me from various numbers asking me to give them my bank details to setup a direct debit. It's all a mess so please be careful.

wow, yes i was worried about this, but will keep checking to make sure everything is up to date…thx
  • thebritishbloke
    thebritishbloke Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    Options
    If you set up a direct debit for the full amount, you won't have a problem. I don't understand why people don't have any direct debit set up at all and rely on being able to go online and pay by debit card.

I had an account with Vanquis for two years, never really had a problem.
    Credit 'Score' - Don't buy the credit 'score' that Experian, Equifax and Noddle want to sell you. It's an arbitrary number that means nothing when it comes to applying for credit.

ALWAYS HAVE A DIRECT DEBIT SET UP FOR THE MINIMUM PAYMENT ON YOUR CREDIT CARDS, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU PLAN TO LOGIN AND PAY EACH MONTH.
  • countingstars
    countingstars Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    If you set up a direct debit for the full amount, you won't have a problem. I don't understand why people don't have any direct debit set up at all and rely on being able to go online and pay by debit card.

I had an account with Vanquis for two years, never really had a problem.

I agree. I've had a Vanquis card for 4 years now and nope, never had a problem. Actually, they've been very helpful and the one time, I did get locked out of my online account (due to my own idiocy) they sorted out the issue pretty quickly. Plus, during the few times I've rang them, they've always been polite and friendly.
  • nyc_451
    nyc_451 Posts: 502 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think certain people attract problems themselves. :) Never had any issues with vanquis, my friend just got the card and already has a problem, just like everywhere else. I work in a customer service and have also noticed that some people are very unlucky: sometimes because of their own fault, sometimes it's our system, but it tends to happen to the same people.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options

I was locked out of my Vanquis account a few months ago. I phoned them once and was told there wasn't a problem with my account. The customer service rep I spoke to told me to simply re-register for online access. I go the impressions it was a common problem.

Paying at least the minimum amount by Direct Debit is probably the best option to avoid late payment charges and negative reporting to the CRAs.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,626 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

You must have known what you had spent? Even an approximation would be enough to have paid more than the minimum payment and avoided all the fees. Sorry to say, but you are entirely to blame, considering the number of ways they have with which you can make payment.

A quick google of "Vanquis ways to pay" shows this as the first hit.
    How can I make a payment to my account?

Over the Phone or Online:
    Via your bank’s telephone or internet banking service, you can make a one off payment or set up a standing order. Simply quote the following details: (1) Our sort code: 60-95-94, (2) Our bank account number: 0000 0001 and (3) Your Vanquis 16 digit card account number. Please allow 3-5 working days for your payment to reach your account via this method.

or

Phone Vanquis on 0871 770 5555, you can make a one off payment with a Debit Card or set up a Direct Debit for regular payments. Lines are open between 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 5.30pm on Saturday (calls to 0871 numbers will be charged at 7p per minute from a BT landline. Calls from mobiles and other networks may vary). Please allow at least 2-3 working days for your payment to reach your account via this method.

Via vanquis.co.uk:
    You can pay by Debit Card, simply click on the pay my card button on the Vanquis website, which will take you to our ‘payvanquis’ website, then click on "Register Debit Card" and follow the online instructions. If you have any problems registering, then please contact 0871 770 5555 (calls to 0871 numbers will be charged at 7p per minute from a BT landline; calls from mobiles and other networks may vary), between 8am and 8pm Monday to Friday or between 9am and 5.30pm Saturday, and speak to an agent to register your Debit Card. Please allow 3-5 working days for your payment to reach your account.

Via eVanquis:
    Once you are registered, you can pay via our secure online service, eVanquis. Not only will this allow you to pay your credit card bill but will also allow you to manage your account online – viewing your account balance and accessing your statements.

Over the Counter:
    Over the counter at your Bank or Post Office, using your pre-printed giro (found at the bottom of your monthly statement). Please note that the Post Office will charge a fee. If the bank you pay through is not your own bank you may also be charged a fee. Please allow 5 working days for your payment to reach your account via this method. Please note that cheque payments made over the post office counter can, in some instances, take up to 20 working days to clear.

Please remember to always make your payments in good time to make sure they reach your account by the Due Date. We recommend you pay early to avoid possible late charges and maintain your credit record.

By Post:
    By posting a cheque, together with your pre-printed giro (found at the bottom of your monthly statement) in one of our pre-paid envelopes. Please make cheques payable to ‘Vanquis Bank’ followed by your Vanquis Visa Card account number. Write your name and Vanquis Visa Card account number on the back of the cheque. Please note, we normally recommend allowing 10 working days for your payment to reach your account via this method.
    http://www.vanquis.co.uk/faq/paying-your-bills
    ====
  • fedupdad
    fedupdad Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Wondered whether anyone has come across this situation with Vanquis.

I have now paid my balance and have around £20 in credit with them. I phoned them today to find out what charges were owing on the card so they could be paid and I could then close the account.

I was then informed that they were not able to tell me what charges were owing and I would have to wait for my next statement which is due in around three weeks. I can then ring up to cancel the account but then have to have two full months with my statements showing £0 in order to cancel it.

I have never heard of something so stupid. Has anyone else heard of this and can offer any advice? They told me it is in their terms and conditions but having read section 16 which deals with closing the account I have no idea what they are talking about.

Thanks in advance
  • john1002
    john1002 Posts: 984 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    fedupdad,

You dont say whether you have always cleared the balance every month or have had a balance on it and have now paid this off, it is not just vanquis that wont be able to tell you what charges are due, it will depend on what charges are pending from recent purchases or any subscriptions, I suspect that you did carry a balance and as such they wont know what interest is pending till the statement is due, again vanquis are not unique in this position, most credit card companies operate in this way, the 2 month they mention is to do I suspect with residual interest and again vanquis is not unique in operating in this way.

Not sure if your looking to apply for a new card hence wanting this card closed down so quickly, maybe post some more details and Im sure we can advise further.

john
  • Jacqu79
    Jacqu79 Posts: 293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Aqua1985 wrote: »
    What limit did you end up getting I also got offered a £100 advance?

I got my card today with a £500 credit limit.:D

The only reason I applied for it is, we're going on holiday soon and although we've saved more spending money that we'll need (hopefully!), I'm a wee bit nervous incase anything happens while we're away, so liked the idea of a 'safety net' so to speak.

I'll start using it now for everyday spending and paying it off in full by direct debit to try and sort my credit rating out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure