V A N Q U I S

Options

Comments

• carousels
    carousels Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    For those of you just starting out with your Vanquis cards, use them every month and pay the balance off in full! That way, you'll never be hit with charges, high interest, ect and it'll do your credit file the world of good.

I went from having bad credit history (due to a few missed payments on store cards) to a very good one thanks to the use of Vanquis. At present, I have a credit card, current account and a £750 overdraft from Halifax. So it does work!

Hang in there and you'll soon turn things around. Best of luck, folks! :T
  • caz2003uk
    caz2003uk Posts: 673 Forumite
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Options
    I've had my vanquis card since November 2012-limit £500, in April 2013 I had an increase to £1000 and have now received a letter increasing my limit to £1750 on the 21st of this month! :j

Paying off in full every month has helped and I haven't been using "near the limit" about 50% of it!
    :jEngaged 25/12/11 :j
    :smileyheaMarried the man of her dreams and became Mrs M on 26th April 2013 :smileyhea
  • kaimoo86
    Options
    Hi

Sorry this has probably been asked several times in this thread but it's massive.

Okay. I applied for a vanquis card I'm not on the electrol roll so they asked me to send in photo id and proof of address which I did, my credit rating with Experian is fair it wasgood before vanquis searched my file.

My question which i know your all looking foward to, are my chances of getting a card good? The fact they have asked for proof of id to me seems like a positive thing instead of an instant decline.

I applied for an Argos card but was declined within days, i have only recently found out how important the electrol roll is and that most lenders refuse automatically if your not on the electrol roll
  • kaimoo86
    Options
    Oh I have no defaults. No debts the issue is I have no credit history just a blank file with poor marks for three recent searches and not being on the electrol roll
  • kaimoo86
    Options
    Well I got a card well I was accepted I'm waiting for my card, thanks for all the response...............

59.9% Apr if they think I'll be stupid enough not to pay off in full each month they can they can think again.
  • looking_ahead
    Options
    I read about this a few years ago and have been waiting on it since.

Ive been with vanquis for 4 yrs since a bankruptcy.

Now, before I assasinate their name, They did give me a card the very day i was discharged ( 1 year after going bankrupt )

This, along with a few other accounts with JD Williams, and T mobile have helped me on the way to standard credit accounts in a little over a year from now when the bankruptcy finally hits 6 years and drops off my file......

So, whats the reason for my post today???
    Well, a few months ago, Vanquis , without request from me to do so, has "upgraded" my account to GOLD, along with my wifes.

Between us we now have 6k available ( not used ) and they have tried to sneakily increase my rate at the same time.

I was on 29,9% for purchases which is mental, but for vanquis about as low as it gets. I have had no issue with them so why do they feel fit to increase my rate to 49,9% ??

If someone has been carrying a large balance and received this increase then they would have no choice but to refuse the increase and effectively cancel the card whilst paying off the balance at the origonal rate.

Personally, they can charge any rate they feel for my account as they will always be paid in full each month. I will keep the account untill i can get a mainline card as it is pretty much essential for car hire etc or that added security for online orders.

Anyway, please , please , please do not use these cards to carry a balance as one day, they will almost certainly try to corner you with a hefty rate increase regardless of your history with them. :-(
  • EvaCustard
    Options
    Well, after carrying a (hefty) balance on my Vanquis card for a few months, I've finally cleared it off today. I'm so pleased :j

No more massive interest charges.

I've paid the entire balance from my bank today and as normal, I'd expect it to show on the account tomorrow.

Should I just phone to close it down tomorrow or is it better to wait a week or so?

Thanks
  • Simon7685
    Simon7685 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    :DGoodbye Vanquis:D

I couldn't resist posting something on this thread. I have just closed my Vanquis Granite credit card after 2 years and 8 months.

I have to say, it did what it said it would do and helped me rebuild my credit rating. I used it regularly with a £250 starting limit, after 7 months they increased it to £1000, where it stayed.

The APR on it was horrific at 49.9%:eek:, however because I paid ON TIME and IN FULL every month, it did not matter. I never paid 1p in interest or other charges.

So for everyone else out there that has or is looking at Vanquis because of their credit rating. Use it regularly, pay it in full and over time it will help you get onto the prime card ladder.

Don't be tempted to blow the lot and end up in a mess! Do the job right and it works.

So it's goodnight from me to Vanquis and thanks for helping me:T

A final word.........
    On closing the account I was advised that once closed, you cannot have another account with Vanquis again. However if you have played the game you shouldn't need one:D
  • AndyBSG
    AndyBSG Posts: 986 Forumite
    Options
    Simon7685 wrote: »
    A final word.........

On closing the account I was advised that once closed, you cannot have another account with Vanquis again. However if you have played the game you shouldn't need one:D

Bit of an odd one that, I would have thought that unless you'd defaulted in some way any CC in the world wouldn't turn away future business from a reliable customer!
  • Simon7685
    Simon7685 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I agree with you completely but that is what he said, maybe he thought it might force a sudden change of heart.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure