The Great 'Split Ticketing' Hunt

Comments

• Anyone got any brilliant ideas on Sheffield/Oxford route?
    I think it is cross-country and is far from cheap.
    Nor is it particularly pleasant as they seem to check your tickets every 2o minutes. I have thought of having my ticket pasted on my forehead. They also complain about the way your hold your ticket/pass (not open enough/not quick enough)
  • I am struggling trying to find the following any cheaper than 47.00 - which is frustrating as they do advertise Norwich to London for £6.

Gt Yarmouth - London Return for 28th February. Leaving GY at 9ish and returning from London about 7?

A_S x
    ** Getting back in the swing of saving again.... **

:T :T :T :T :T
    Trying to find the best deals to save as much as we can..........
  • omelette451
    omelette451 Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    rwoods wrote: »
    I've noticed that if you use Virgin Trains website for booking a ticket solely on a Virgin Trains service (eg Stoke or Manchester to London) they give you better options on off-peak singles.

For example where you can find an advance ticket for the outward journey but only an Off-Peak single for the return this will be priced at around half the off-peak return fare rather than the full single price (often almost as much as a return) as quoted on National Rail Enquiries.

This happens if you want to book an 'off-peak return' on VT-operated services (what used to be called 'saver' tickets). Most saver tickets had returns that cost about 10p more than the equivalent single, which often meant people ended up paying over the odds if decent o/w fares were only available for one of the journeys. VT's response was to offer 'half savers', but only for its own services, and only when booked on its own site (those and the 'blockbuster' tickets are the only ones you have to go to a specific site for); the idea is that it allows you to can chop-and-change different fare types, perhaps even 1st class ones. They're not available on routings requiring local connections though.
  • omelette451
    omelette451 Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    mariafree wrote: »
    Nor is it particularly pleasant as they seem to check your tickets every 2o minutes. I have thought of having my ticket pasted on my forehead. They also complain about the way your hold your ticket/pass (not open enough/not quick enough)

Do you keep moving seats or something? Most conductors remember people whose tickets they've already checked and don't bother them a second time. Most XC journeys involve a staff changeover at Brum so it's quite feasible you'll be asked a second time by the new crew, which I think is fair enough. I've never been asked for a ticket more than once by the same person.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    thebuff1 wrote: »
    Hi Skintchick, I discovered a network railcard I think it is called, it is a discount card for travel in the south east and Reading should be covered it means a third off the price, I hope this helps.

Unfortunately the NSE card is only good if the whole journey is in the area it covers. So whilst it would be good for Reading - London there'd be nothing off a longer journey ending up outside the area.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I am struggling trying to find the following any cheaper than 47.00 - which is frustrating as they do advertise Norwich to London for £6.

Gt Yarmouth - London Return for 28th February. Leaving GY at 9ish and returning from London about 7?

A_S x

Have you tried getting Norwich-London tickets and local ones for the connecting trains?
  • Hi Please can some-one tell me if there are any ways to get split tickets from St.Helens (merseyside) to Glasgow Central. at the moment it costs about £60+ any help is greatly appreciated thanks Sue
  • suelyn7 wrote: »
    Hi Please can some-one tell me if there are any ways to get split tickets from St.Helens (merseyside) to Glasgow Central. at the moment it costs about £60+ any help is greatly appreciated thanks Sue

A quick search for random dates has just given plenty of advance fares SNH-GLC for between £17 and £24 e/w. If you change at Preston rather than Wigan there can be even cheaper options available: look out for journeys on Transpennine Express from Preston to Glasgow, which start at £8 o/w, with much greater availability than Virgin's advance tickets. St Helens to Preston is at most £13 rtn.
  • Mirnish
    Mirnish Posts: 32 Forumite
    I don't think it is worth on splitting trains from Edinburgh to London... for 2 singles I found the cheapest is around £16 each way which is not bad!
    This was on the National Express Trains.
    if anyone else has found cheaper tickets, would love to hear from them.

Thanks
  • Do you keep moving seats or something? Most conductors remember people whose tickets they've already checked and don't bother them a second time. Most XC journeys involve a staff changeover at Brum so it's quite feasible you'll be asked a second time by the new crew, which I think is fair enough. I've never been asked for a ticket more than once by the same person.
    No I don't change seats as I always have a booked one.
    I used to find the situation as you describe but the last couple of times there seems to have been possibly three changes of crew but I'm glad to hear these could have been rogue events. On the late lamented Midland Mainline London/Sheffield they just used to ask new boarders to show their tickets.
    The last time I did Sheffield/Oxford the guy sitting opposite me who admittedly had done a longer trip than I told me he had shown his ticket 5 times.
    Now I appreciate the TOCS do not want to lose revenue but this seems a mite excessive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure