The Great 'Split Ticketing' Hunt

15678911»

Comments

• neilvw
    neilvw Posts: 462 Forumite
    Hi, can anyone help?
    My mum and I want a single from Penzance to B'ham New St on 8th January taking the 9.40am direct train with XC.
    2 adults, 1 senior railcard.
    National Rail Enquiries came up with £136.95 total cost.
    However I tried splitting at various stops and my best was Plymouth, Exeter St D and Bristol TM, cutting the fare to £73.05.
    There are so many possibilities - does anyone think we can do better?
    Any help much appreciated.
    Thanks, Neil
  • neilvw
    neilvw Posts: 462 Forumite
    After much fiddling I have finally pieced it together.

I found that trying to split a complete journey was not going to work as it was impossible at this short notice (2 wks) to get cheap advance singles on every section, however you split it, making the price too high.

So instead I moved the trip earlier to 0844 and booked 3 separate advance singles for 3 genuinely separate journeys, i.e. changing twice:

PZ - Exeter St D £9.95 45min wait
    Exeter St D - Bristol TM £24.05 36min wait
    Bristol TM - B'ham NS £27.40
    TOTAL COST £61.40

In fact we are now also taking a cross-Birmingham train to Chester Road. Tacking this on to the final leg adds 80p to the cost, rather than £3.30 if we bought the local ticket at Birmingham NS.

So: total cost is £62.20 as against £185.90 for the standard Anytime single fare.

Of course we are increasing the time of our journey, and taking a chance on making our connections, but it's a calculated risk and I'm pleased with the result.
  • kitchpoo
    kitchpoo Posts: 1,255 Forumite
    edited 9 February 2010 at 10:25PM
    I'm looking to take a journey later on this year and could do with some help (normally onl travel on one network and even then rarely so split ticketing I find difficult!)

Travelling 13th March- Out of Gt Yarmouth, or Norwich on a Saturday morning
    Destination Dundee

Returning on Monday.15th March

I've looked at the Caledonian sleepers (travelling up Friday returning Monday night with a Tuesday arrival in Norfolk) as an option, also the direct service from Peterborough but only as direct service costs.
    Praying at the church of MSE should be compulsory!

There are three types of people in the world, those who can add up and those who can't.
  • For Glasgow to Cardiff consider splitting your journey at Manchester Piccadilly - route from National rail to Cardiff costs minimum of £137.40 return. Route stopping at Manchester costs £62 but does add about 1hr to the journey each way.

This route doesn't even come up in the searches on National Rail. I got it by looking at what trains ran to Cardiff. If my increasingly drink addled brain can work this out, why can't National Rails computer? Are we getting the rise taken out of us perhaps? :think:
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    iainhd wrote: »
    For Glasgow to Cardiff consider splitting your journey at Manchester Piccadilly - route from National rail to Cardiff costs minimum of £137.40 return. Route stopping at Manchester costs £62 but does add about 1hr to the journey each way.

This route doesn't even come up in the searches on National Rail. I got it by looking at what trains ran to Cardiff. If my increasingly drink addled brain can work this out, why can't National Rails computer? Are we getting the rise taken out of us perhaps? :think:

Errm it can if you ask it to. By default it shows the fastest through route.

I assume the 'route stopping at Manchester' involves split tickets - it doesn't do split tickets. If you just ask it to give you a price 'via' Manchester it will still be £137 odd return and still take that hour or so longer. And that £62 is not a fixed price - it will depend on what trains you book and when you do it. The £137 is fiexed - you can buy on the day.

Try splitting at Crewe rather than Manchester and you'll get the quicker journey time PLUS the possibility of cheap tickets.

Is it all too complicated? Maybe. But the price of making it less complicated will be higher fares on most routes.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 June 2013 at 2:22PM
    Can anyone help with Reading to Manchester off peak returns, going out on Friday lunchtime and returnning Sunday afternoon, at £73.40. I want to stick with OP returns rather than being tied to particular trains.

I've tried various splits such as Oxford, Banbury and Birmingham but the totals in each case are no cheaper. Has anyone found any advantageous splits for this journey? Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure