The Great 'Split Ticketing' Hunt

Options

Comments

• omelette451
    omelette451 Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    Options
    gner_ex wrote: »
    Advance tickets are ONLY valid for the complete journey. If there are barriers or ticket checks at Preston, your boys are liable to getting an excess fare.

Yes this is true, but I found out yesterday that there IS one exception to this rule, and it's worth mentioning it here. Chiltern Railways advance tickets (pdf/text tickets only, not normal railway-style tickets) are valid for travel between any two stations within the limits of the ticket. For example, if you buy one for Brum Moor St to Marylebone you can get on at Leamington and alight at High Wycombe without breaching the rules, though obviously it only applies if the train stops at the relevant intermediate stations. An interesting quirk of that particular company, and it'll be interesting to see if it catches on with the others.
  • nic58
    nic58 Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Please can any of you clever people help me?
    I live in south wales, and the prices to get to Aberdeen are awful.
    Any tips please?
    Thanks
  • Livingthedream
    Livingthedream Posts: 2,643 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nic58 could you give us some more info if possible;
    Travelling from =
    Dates of travel=

But due to Arriva XC been a bit tight with their advance tickets at the moment, would advice using the West coast so try splitting at one or more of the following;

Birmingham New street / Wolverhampton or Crewe and if required for additional savings Glasgow or Edinburgh
    Whoa! This image violates our terms of use and has been removed from view
  • omelette451
    omelette451 Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    Options
    But due to Arriva XC been a bit tight with their advance tickets at the moment, would advice using the West coast so try splitting at one or more of the following;

Birmingham New street / Wolverhampton or Crewe and if required for additional savings Glasgow or Edinburgh

I agree with the above, but don't ignore the EC route completely as there are some cheap tickets around. If going the WC route Crewe splitting is probably best (using the Newport-Hereford-Crewe route) but if you go via Brum remember to check the megatrain website for the WC bit to Glasgow or Edinburgh. Surprisingly enough the cheapest option is sometimes to go all the way in and out of London!

One final thing: flybe is launching Cardiff-Aberdeen flights from mid-April, with tickets currently selling for around £50 o/w.
  • nottsphil
    nottsphil Posts: 440 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    KeithP wrote: »
    Errr... why does one need to go to Fratton on this journey? :confused:
    I went to boarding school on this route (Bath-Brighton) in the 70s and always had to change in Pompey. Maybe there are more direct trains nowadays.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,973 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    KeithP wrote:
    Errr... why does one need to go to Fratton on this journey?
    nottsphil wrote: »
    I went to boarding school on this route (Bath-Brighton) in the 70s and always had to change in Pompey. Maybe there are more direct trains nowadays.
    Wow!! I wrote that comment five weeks ago!

A lot of things have changed on the railways since the 70s. I hope you are not still using a 70s timetable.
    Nowadays there seems to be at least one direct train per hour from Southampton to Brighton.
  • aaroncaz
    aaroncaz Posts: 5,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, was hoping someone can work a cheaper route than i have!

Thursday 28th May
    One child & Adult Birmingham New St to Manchester Picadilly. I have found £24.50 return off peak with family railcard.

Many thanks!
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    aaroncaz wrote: »
    Hi, was hoping someone can work a cheaper route than i have!

Thursday 28th May
    One child & Adult Birmingham New St to Manchester Picadilly. I have found £24.50 return off peak with family railcard.

Many thanks!

That sounds cheap to me.

I take it you've looked at advanced singles as well?
  • aaroncaz
    aaroncaz Posts: 5,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 15 April 2009 at 7:49PM
    Options
    dzug1 wrote: »
    That sounds cheap to me.

I take it you've looked at advanced singles as well?

Yes, think it was £11 singles.

Doh!!! Advanced singles £11.05, so would be cheaper!!
  • nottsphil
    nottsphil Posts: 440 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 11 June 2009 at 9:55PM
    Options
    KeithP wrote: »
    Wow!! I wrote that comment five weeks ago!

A lot of things have changed on the railways since the 70s. I hope you are not still using a 70s timetable.
    Nowadays there seems to be at least one direct train per hour from Southampton to Brighton.
    Only 5 weeks? That's about average for me on these boards!
    We moved to Worthing, where I would catch a stopping train from Goring-by-sea to Barnham and change onto a faster train, but these invariably terminated at Portsmouth Harbour (where I was once involved in a low-speed derailment).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure