The Great 'Split Ticketing' Hunt

Comments

• Ipswich to Manchester:
    If you wish to do this route via Peterborough and Leeds not via London, there are no Advance tickets readily available. This comes to £84.40 for an Off-Peak Return. However, if you split-ticket at Leeds then Advance tickets are available from £16 one-way (£11+£5).
    Return saving of up to £52.40!
    The journey time is similar to via London and especially if the cheapest Advance tickets have sold out via London, it is more likely for there to be cheaper tickets on this route, so you could save money.
    I assume that a similar offer is available from other stations along the Great Eastern Main Line (Norwich-London).

ALSO:
    For flexible tickets from Ipswich to London, you can make big savings by buying tickets from Ipswich to Cambridge. These allow travel via London Liverpool Street, but not Kings Cross and the Anytime tickets are guaranteed to allow a break of journey and the Off-peak tickets probably allow it too.
    £32 Off-Peak Return; £60 Anytime Return Ipswich-London
    £12.90 Off-Peak Day Return; £16 Anytime Day Return Ipswich-Cambridge.
    This is only marginally more expensive than the cheapest advance singles.
    Also note that the Off-Peak Day Return from Ipswich-Cambridge allows travel FROM London during the evening rush hour even though it is an off-peak ticket.
    Just to prove that this route is available, enter 'via Tottenham Hale' when you select the route on the ticketing website.
    A similar ticketing offer also exists from Diss and Stowmarket.

Hope this is useful to someone :)
  • @dzug

You're quite right but here's a similar one which is fine... Oxenholme-Warrington too (did it myself recently) - get a Oxenholme-Manchester ticket instead (it is a valid route) and just get off at Warrington. Completely above board and saves you £1.50 off peak return... ok not much but I am obsessive with savings like this :D

@Bryony48

Swansea-Swindon off-peak single isn't £7, it's £22.20. You must be talking about advance tickets, I just quoted peak/off-peak non-advance tickets in my examples but it works with advance tickets too. I think I got Swindon-Neath single for £2.65 last year with my railcard :eek: Not bad for approx 2 hours train travel, I think the 30-40 mins from Swindon to Oxford cost me more than that!

Swindon is definately the place to split though.

Also claretnbluedom makes a good point about midweek trains. If I'm going away for a weekend, I often try to make it a longer weekend by going on the Thursday afternoon/evening instead of Friday. Generally many more cheap advance tickets available then than on Friday evening.
  • Amatrix wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to be much flexibility on the Bristol - Manchester Cross Country route, with direct singles working out cheaper than splitting at Birmingham for example for singles or returns, or buying direct returns.

Most of the time, gains are made on split ticketing when the through fare is priced by a certain train company, but the 2 or 3 intermediate split ones are each priced by different TOCs. In this instance Bristol - Manchester, Bristol - Birmingham, and Birmingham - Manchester are all priced by CrossCountry so you wouldn't expect any gain on splitting like for like tickets. CrossCountry also don't put many Advance tickets on their trains.

The other gains are when you are reducing the validity of the split tickets (ie off peak or day returns) compared to the through ticket (ie anytime).
    Amatrix wrote: »
    Curiously if you had more time and wanted to travel via London (and didn't mind changing trains a couple of times), you could get an advance ticket to Paddington for about £20 return, and with a Tube connection to Euston get a Virgin train deal to Manchester for as little as £1 each way. Total cost in the region of £22, saving £32 - more than enough to cover the Tube fare and make a good saving, though it may add an hour or two onto your journey and you'd have the added palava of changing trains.

Well its not that curious when you consider a) you're going all the way round the houses, and b) you're dealing with different train companies with different loadings. First Great Western set the Bristol - Paddington bit, and it is the cheapest possible band of Advance tickets, so how likely you are to get one both ways is questionable. Also the Euston - Manchester section is again a best possible with a non-mainstream ticket band. The cheapest regular Advance is £8 each way which may be possible because after all Virgin are running longer trains 3 trains an hour between Manchester and London and have seats to fill. Whereas CrossCountry have overcrowding issues.
  • From Southampton to Lancaster, with a change at Birmingham. The usual return cheap fare with a rail card is £64, but by splitting the tickets into singles to each place, eg four single tickets, Southampton to Birmingham - Birmingham to lancaster and return, on exactly the same trains I saved £20. You pay £1 booking for each ticket. Great tip
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    beatties wrote: »
    From Southampton to Lancaster, with a change at Birmingham. The usual return cheap fare with a rail card is £64, but by splitting the tickets into singles to each place, eg four single tickets, Southampton to Birmingham - Birmingham to lancaster and return, on exactly the same trains I saved £20. You pay £1 booking for each ticket. Great tip

Why are you paying a £1 booking fee? Any rail company site will sell you the same tickets, no fee.
  • m-s-m wrote: »
    Almost like split ticketing, but the other way round... Going from Southampton to London costs £35.20 for an off peak return. However, a ticket to Brighton on the "Not London" route is £22.40 and can get you as far as Clapham Junction. You can then go and buy a paper travelcard (Clapham Junction is in Zone 2) and continue your journey to Waterloo (trains run about every 5 minutes). As you usually need to buy a travelcard when visiting london anyway it makes it even better value!

Also this can save you money to/from Gatwick Airport as that lies on the Soton-Clapham-Brighton route.

The ticket is via "not London", not "London termini" so I hardly think you can claim that Clapham is not London. Surely the only permitted route for So'ton to Brighton would be via Fratton.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    nottsphil wrote: »
    The ticket is via "not London", not "London termini" so I hardly think you can claim that Clapham is not London. Surely the only permitted route for So'ton to Brighton would be via Fratton.

Clapham Junction is 100% not London. It's a perfectly legitimate route
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,591 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    nottsphil wrote: »
    <snip>
    Surely the only permitted route for So'ton to Brighton would be via Fratton.
    Errr... why does one need to go to Fratton on this journey? :confused:
  • Pete268
    Pete268 Posts: 219 Forumite
    Has anyone has any joy with split ticketing on the East Coast Mainline with National Express East Coast? (or even Grand Central?) I travel quite often from either Darlington or Northallerton to London. I have often tried to split at York, Doncaster, Peterborough etc with no joy - it works out the same price.

I haven't tried splitting at Retford, Newark, or Grantham at it is pot luck which trains actually stop there, but might it be worth doing that? Or has anyone got an ECML tips? I use a disabled railcard so normally get a third off standard and advance, but any split ticket savings would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Peter
  • Roland
    Roland Posts: 62 Forumite
    Pete268 wrote: »
    Has anyone has any joy with split ticketing on the East Coast Mainline with National Express East Coast? (or even Grand Central?) I travel quite often from either Darlington or Northallerton to London. I have often tried to split at York, Doncaster, Peterborough etc with no joy - it works out the same price.

I haven't tried splitting at Retford, Newark, or Grantham at it is pot luck which trains actually stop there, but might it be worth doing that? Or has anyone got an ECML tips? I use a disabled railcard so normally get a third off standard and advance, but any split ticket savings would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Peter

I have looked at split ticket routes out of Leeds and I have found many, I will supply details soon. I have not been able to find any straightforward options to London on the ECML. On a few occasions, I have changed trains at Doncaster to catch a cheap Advanced Purchase fare from there, then staying on the same train back to Leeds, which happens to stop at DON using the 2 tickets.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure