17.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been thinking about it - and in the last 10/12 years, I've had:

loans with Sainsburys & Natwest Bank
    Credit cards with NatWest, Egg & Capital One
    Mortgage with Northern Rock & Standard Life
    Store card with Evans

I don't have any information on them - account numbers or anything! And I can't remember if I paid PPI or not! I don't normally - so wouldn't have knowingly agreed to pay it.

Do you think its worth pursuing? If so, it seems like it will be a lot of work, with working full-time and being a single mum of one!

Thanks!!!
    Stephanie

If you feel you had PPI insurance with them, you could get a lot of money back ..... so that is worth pursuing !

Write to them first and ask them
  • fd1972ukfd1972uk Forumite
    447 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Hi All I had a loan with Northern Rock I have read the articles but can't find anything relating to them ...Anyone any idea as to how I would go about claiming back from them ..the loan was fully repaid in 2008/9 but I was told as I worked for an agency at the time I had to take out the PPI.

Sorry if I have posted this incorrectly it's my first post.

thanks in advance

As Davey says, get in contact with them.

My wife had a loan with them many years ago, and we recently did a claim (was silly, did it through a PPI reclaim company, but they did their job) and we got £600 back.

FD
  • Hi very new to this and need some advise!
    I have had a credit card with MBNA for 15 years. At the time of getting the credit card i was in full time employment with full sickness and redundancy benefits as a retail manager, i had been with the company for 8 years at this point. I am still with the same company 15 years later. I applied for and was succesful in my application in 1997. I think i applied through one of the flyers that came through the post. I have my original " congratulations you have been succesful" letter detailing when i would recieve my Card, Pin number etc. but at no stage does it mention PPC and i cant remember ever asking for it or ticking a box. I have had other credit cards & loans since this and always declined the insurance when asked as it was never needed due to my work benefits.
    I phoned MBNA claims line to query the PPC payment as i wasn't aware i was paying it and got the answer back " OK, i will cancel that straight away" no questions asked if it was now suitable or not. ( I didn't actually asked to cancel it, only to query it). I then asked to process a complaint for mis selling which they did over the phone.
    I have since recieved a FOS Questionaire to fill in but am struggling with what to put in the reasons for mis selling. I suppose the main reasons are 1) I didn't even realise i was paying it ( which i feel a bit stupid about not knowing after 15 years ). 2) my employment benefits negate the need for this insurance hence why i have never had it for any other form of credit.
    I am in fear of over thinking this!
    Is this all i need to put in this section?
    and also what was the standard practice of the Credit Card junk mail back then? was PPC pre-ticked etc?
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
  • cappocappo Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Hassy1 wrote: »
    Hi very new to this and need some advise!
    I have had a credit card with MBNA for 15 years. At the time of getting the credit card i was in full time employment with full sickness and redundancy benefits as a retail manager, i had been with the company for 8 years at this point. I am still with the same company 15 years later. I applied for and was succesful in my application in 1997. I think i applied through one of the flyers that came through the post. I have my original " congratulations you have been succesful" letter detailing when i would recieve my Card, Pin number etc. but at no stage does it mention PPC and i cant remember ever asking for it or ticking a box. I have had other credit cards & loans since this and always declined the insurance when asked as it was never needed due to my work benefits.
    I phoned MBNA claims line to query the PPC payment as i wasn't aware i was paying it and got the answer back " OK, i will cancel that straight away" no questions asked if it was now suitable or not. ( I didn't actually asked to cancel it, only to query it). I then asked to process a complaint for mis selling which they did over the phone.
    I have since recieved a FOS Questionaire to fill in but am struggling with what to put in the reasons for mis selling. I suppose the main reasons are 1) I didn't even realise i was paying it ( which i feel a bit stupid about not knowing after 15 years ). 2) my employment benefits negate the need for this insurance hence why i have never had it for any other form of credit.
    I am in fear of over thinking this!
    Is this all i need to put in this section?
    and also what was the standard practice of the Credit Card junk mail back then? was PPC pre-ticked etc?
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Hi Hassy and Welcome, a lot of the time lenders just put the ppi on the account whether you wanted it or not hence in a lot of cases the box was pre ticked but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that you did'nt know you had it lots of people did'nt, don't worry you can't over think a fos form i'll put some links on, read these and it'll become clear, have a good gander then get back to us if you have any specific questions, thats what we're here for.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/fight-back-fos#wrong

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance#step3

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-credit-card-insurance#step2
  • I have been approached by this company saying that I am entitled to thousands back from mis-sold PPI. I am sure that we have never ticked the PPI box.

Is it worth using this company?
  • cappocappo Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    I have been approached by this company saying that I am entitled to thousands back from mis-sold PPI. I am sure that we have never ticked the PPI box.

Is it worth using this company?

No don't do it jamie, ask and we'll help if we can, don't pay someone to do what you can do yourself quite easily.
  • HELP, i'm new!!!
    I'm getting so stressed about all of this!!
    My partner has had 3 loans from tsb and we both had a credit card each, we dont have any paperwork for any of them though, where do we go from here??? thanks in advance
  • cappocappo Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    monkey81 wrote: »
    HELP, i'm new!!!
    I'm getting so stressed about all of this!!
    My partner has had 3 loans from tsb and we both had a credit card each, we dont have any paperwork for any of them though, where do we go from here??? thanks in advance

Hi Monkey no need to be stressed, firstly if your accounts are still open you need to be finding out if you had ppi, introduce yourself at your local branch take i.d just in case (passport, driving license etc) and ask if you had ppi if your standing in front of them it's going to be harder for them to turn you away. If you get no joy you could try calling the dedicated ppi helpline or even the ceo of the bank but i'd approach them first, see all the links below

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/reclaim/2012/02/banks-wrongly-reject-ppi-complaints-despite-admitting-mis-selling

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/fight-back-fos#wrong

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance#step3

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-credit-card-insurance#step2
  • amersallamersall Forumite
    17K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My name is Amersall not
    the general consensus is
    :p
    you know i am only kidding :):):A
  • amersallamersall Forumite
    17K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jchaplin wrote: »
    Hi all,

Am after some advice. My father has engaged the services of a claims company to persue a loan he had some time ago with PPI. He paid an amount up front to them to do this, and after discussing cancellation with them they would retain most of this sum if we asked them to stop persuing the claim.

When I found out I came straight to the forum and it would appear we could easily follow the self-claim process.

What's the best approach? Would it do any harm to persue both avenues rather than cancel and lose the fee, or is that just going to cause problems for us?

Thanks in advance.
    They are not supposed to take an "up front fee" i would complain to these.
    http://justice.cjs.gov.uk/contacts/cm

Your father has done the work for this claims co and this company will just sit back and take a % and he wont get the upfront fee back either.

How hard is it to post a letter to a bank?.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides