Police travel - conning the train people.

123457»

Replies

• Adam_DAdam_D Forumite
    15 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    sorry i just came across it via a search engine and thought I'd add my two penneth

but its nice to read comments like the last few as we seldom meet people who appreciate what we do, its nice to know there is people out there as there seems to be more discontempt for us out there. thanks for the kind words.
  • *lisa*lisa Forumite
    1 Post
    Hi all,

First time I've posted a thread but I came across this in a search engine like Adam D. I'm a Special Constable, someone mentioned that Specials are NOT Police Officers (not sure who said this) and it makes me laugh, why do you think this? It's a voluntary position and we have to deal with the same situations as regulars, attempted suicides, sudden deaths, fights, domestic violence, drunks, etc and yet we do it all for free and on top of a full time job, so why are we not thought of as Police Officers? I have only ever used my warrant for travel to and from duty, but I would have no problem to use it for personal travel as well. Police Officers deal with situations that most people can't even imagine, I think people that risk their lives for others should have the small benefit of free travel, it's not hurting anyone and if the train/bus company have the agreement then there shouldn't be a problem. The original complaint obviously comes from a very angry commuter. I realise this post is now 2 years old but also wanted to add my bit!!
  • CWCDiverCWCDiver Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    *lisa wrote: »
    Hi all,

First time I've posted a thread but I came across this in a search engine like Adam D. I'm a Special Constable, someone mentioned that Specials are NOT Police Officers (not sure who said this) and it makes me laugh, why do you think this? It's a voluntary position and we have to deal with the same situations as regulars, attempted suicides, sudden deaths, fights, domestic violence, drunks, etc and yet we do it all for free and on top of a full time job, so why are we not thought of as Police Officers? I have only ever used my warrant for travel to and from duty, but I would have no problem to use it for personal travel as well. Police Officers deal with situations that most people can't even imagine, I think people that risk their lives for others should have the small benefit of free travel, it's not hurting anyone and if the train/bus company have the agreement then there shouldn't be a problem. The original complaint obviously comes from a very angry commuter. I realise this post is now 2 years old but also wanted to add my bit!!

Depending on what police force area you are in depends if you are entitled to, as a Special, travel on your warrant card.
    If you are in the Met or City police you are not permitted to travel on mainline trains off duty, you are only permitted on TfL services.
    It must be accepted as a principle that the rifle cannot replace the speed of the horse, the magnetism of the charge and the terror of cold steel.

The British Cavalry Manual 1907.
  • s_bs_b Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    the original post from 2009
    13000 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

Quick question here. I have a season ticket that costs me over £2.5K per year. I have no problems paying this as it is what it costs.

However there is one policeman that gets on and flashes his warrant card in order to get free travel. He was asked if he was on official police business (He always claims he is). I understand if they are, no problem.

However this guy, in plain clothes has done this for about 8 months now. He is blatantly abusing the system. If the were to buy a season ticket, it would come in at £1.5K per year (he gets on later than me and off earlier, at a station where the regional police HQ is) However if I write to the police two problems. A How will they identify him and secondly will the police fob me off or are they duty bound to investigate.

He is so blatantly pulling a fast one I am tempted to ask him for his badge number.

too many people post on this site without reading everything 13000

as you correctly say why should you pay to travel to work and then someone who is abusing a badge not pay

ive read every post and some of them standing up for police officers actually puts police officers in a bad light not a good one ,so beware before you start pontificating what a hard job they do as my stepson would have loved to join if there were any vacancies

i have total respect for the police just like any position where you have to deal on a daily basis with the public (just like i do in my job)

its a pity 13000 left his thread and didnt post on the final outcome of whether this individual has the right to free travel to work everyday
    1.8K Posts
    s_b wrote: »
    the original post from 2009

too many people post on this site without reading everything 13000

as you correctly say why should you pay to travel to work and then someone who is abusing a badge not pay

ive read every post and some of them standing up for police officers actually puts police officers in a bad light not a good one ,so beware before you start pontificating what a hard job they do as my stepson would have loved to join if there were any vacancies

i have total respect for the police just like any position where you have to deal on a daily basis with the public (just like i do in my job)

its a pity 13000 left his thread and didnt post on the final outcome of whether this individual has the right to free travel to work everyday

Police officers in many area of the country are entitled to free travel (both on and off duty) on production of their warrant card, in fact this occurs in most areas. Use of your warrant card, where an approved scheme exists, is not "abuse of your badge", I do it many times a week when I have no need of my car in work, or if I know I am going to be going for a pint after work.

The simple fact is that having more police officers on trains makes them safer, when free travel was introduced on the Tube assaults on staff went down quite significantly. And there are many other upsides, it aids retention of police officers in the Capital because they are able to live further outside London and commute in.
    It must be accepted as a principle that the rifle cannot replace the speed of the horse, the magnetism of the charge and the terror of cold steel.

1.8K Posts
    13000 wrote: »
    The force in question is North Wales.

Actually as I have now seen this.

North Wales Police have free travel agreements with Arriva Trains Wales, the agreement also includes Bus Gwynedd and Arriva 'Serving Wales' bus services. This agreement also includes XC (used to be Virgin)

So no, the officer wasn't "abusing his badge".

Also, police officers do not have a "badge number", this is not the NYPD.

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Gin, gee-gees & groceries

This week's MSE Forum highlights

Team Blog

2for1 adult tickets to theme parks

Via selected £1-£3 Kellogg's promo packs

MSE Deals