Police travel - conning the train people.

Options

Comments

• Tozer
    Tozer Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    Options
    robt wrote: »
    Nobody said he was.

Lets say that there is someone who works in a takeaway on the train. What are they going to do if there is an incident? Offer them a pizza? Opposed to a police officer who could assist or arrest, and is obliged to do so.

Lets keep the conversation sensible.

Coppers on board a train? Great IF an incident kicks off. Assuming of course they do their duty. Plenty won't.

But I refuse to accept that they should have free travel just in case something kicks off.

They are not using the warrant card "just in case there is an incident". They are using it for free travel!!!
  • Tozer
    Options
    lou29 wrote: »
    As a wife of a serving plain clothes police officer I am highly offended. My husband works extremmley long hours, for a crap wage and with very little respect from the public.

Choices? Does he do it for a free train ride? Doubt it.
  • robt_2
    robt_2 Posts: 3,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There are so many myths about the police that always rear their head. Always from antipolice folk (which are usually people who have broken the law and been caught).

Here is one from this thread. A MINIMUM £33k salary has been quoted. Back in the real world, you wouldn't get that until after 7 or 8 years service as a constable.

I love the way a £1500 season ticket has also jumped upto £2500 between posts #1 and #13 :rolleyes:
  • robt_2
    robt_2 Posts: 3,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tozer wrote: »
    Lets keep the conversation sensible.

Coppers on board a train? Great IF an incident kicks off. Assuming of course they do their duty. Plenty won't.

But I refuse to accept that they should have free travel just in case something kicks off.

They are not using the warrant card "just in case there is an incident". They are using it for free travel!!!

They don't! They have free travel because they are entitled to it! Do you work in a shop? Are you entitled to discount? Do you work in an office? Does it have an agreement for fre use of a gym? Every job has perks.
  • lou29
    lou29 Posts: 90 Forumite
    Options
    They would love to serve the public, but idiots show them little respect. They are always on duty no matter what.
    I just wish all the people who slate the Police wold spend a day in their shoes and lets see how they cope with 2 officers to serve a busy town on a Saturday night oh and lets not forget all the mountains of paper work ( That the Goverment has got rid of? not).
    Lets see if peoples attitude would change then.
  • Tozer
    Options
    They don't! They have free travel because they are entitled to it! Do you work in a shop? Are you entitled to discount? Do you work in an office? Does it have an agreement for fre use of a gym? Every job has perks.

LOL. No I don't work in a shop. But amazed you seem to think that there is an entitlement to "perks" in the Police force.

Earlier posts seemed to suggest it was in the public's interest and not a 'perk'.
  • lou29
    Options
    My serving police officer Husband (Plain Clothes) uses the train for free when they are on survailence. So why should they pay when they are trying to catch criminals. Maybee the officer in question is on a police opperation.

Oh just to add fuel to the fire they get 50% off in Subway as well.

This is a moneysaving forum:money::money::money::money::money:
  • Tozer
    Options
    lou29 wrote: »
    My serving police officer Husband (Plain Clothes) uses the train for free when they are on survailence. So why should they pay when they are trying to catch criminals. Maybee the officer in question is on a police opperation.

Oh just to add fuel to the fire they get 50% off in Subway as well.

This is a moneysaving forum:money::money::money::money::money:

I don't think anyone disagrees if on duty....although there is always expenses?

But it has been quoted as a "perk". How does that stack with your post?
  • lou29
    Options
    Its not a perk if me & Hubby catch the train together he will always pay. He does not abuse his authority, maybe some officers do, but he does not.
    Maybe its about time the policing system had a shake up and got rid of a lot of the higher ranking officers so that more money is available for more police officers on the ground.
    I think a lot of lower ranking would agree.
    There are a lot of higher ranking who dont have a clue about the situation on the ground. They just sit thier exams to get further up the ranking ladder.
  • arnie&caseysma!
    Options
    There are so many myths about the police that always rear their head. Always from antipolice folk (which are usually people who have broken the law and been caught).

Here is one from this thread. A MINIMUM £33k salary has been quoted. Back in the real world, you wouldn't get that until after 7 or 8 years service as a constable.

I love the way a £1500 season ticket has also jumped upto £2500 between posts #1 and #13 :rolleyes:

Minimum of £33k??

More like a minimum of £22k! You don't get to £33k until you have 8 years service!!! I wouldn't even think of joining the Police force for such a pittance and putting my life on the line where "Joe Public" as a lot of people refer to, can turn and walk away.

No-one knows the danger that they are going to walk into on a day to day basis, but at the end of the day what would opinions of the Police be if they weren't there to help when most needed? And I am not talking about a petty shoplifting but a serious crime where most people don't see the actual work that officers do? Try going into a situation with a knife wielding thug without the luxury of backup of a whole squadron of cops ina city area, go to a rural area where it still happens but there may only be two officers to covers a 30 mile radius on a nightshift.

I know plenty who have worked more than 24 hours, without sleep, without the chance to wash, sometimes without the chance to have a cuppa and a sit down. But then again, Police Officers don't have human rights, they are expected to get on with it because "Joe Public" pays their wages.

Diss the Police Service as mkuch as you want, but if you feel so strongly about something as petty as them being able to jump on a train then why don't you join the Police in an effort to try to make a difference instead of having a go at those that already do.
    "Life may not always be the party you wish for, but whilst here you may aswell dance"!!!
    Murphy's NMPC Memb No 239!
    Dippychick's De-clutter club Member No 6! - onto room no 2!
    My Avatar? Arnie and Casey, proud parents to Storm and Tsu born 19/01/2009!!! - both now in new homes and called Murron and Burger!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure