Police travel - conning the train people.

Options
Hi Everyone,

Quick question here. I have a season ticket that costs me over £2.5K per year. I have no problems paying this as it is what it costs.

However there is one policeman that gets on and flashes his warrant card in order to get free travel. He was asked if he was on official police business (He always claims he is). I understand if they are, no problem.

However this guy, in plain clothes has done this for about 8 months now. He is blatantly abusing the system. If the were to buy a season ticket, it would come in at £1.5K per year (he gets on later than me and off earlier, at a station where the regional police HQ is) However if I write to the police two problems. A How will they identify him and secondly will the police fob me off or are they duty bound to investigate.

He is so blatantly pulling a fast one I am tempted to ask him for his badge number.

Comments

• irishjohn
    irishjohn Posts: 1,349 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well done you for asking the question - have you a mobile with a camera? Take a pic of him and go along to the station and show it to them when you report him.
    John
  • asandwhen
    asandwhen Posts: 1,407 Forumite
    Options
    It depends on which force you are in and what local agreement there is with train companys but I know that Met Police / Herts Police / Essex Police / Thames valley police can all use the local trains / busses and london underground for free - On or off duty. Reason for this is that Police officers are never truely off duty if there is any trouble on the train they are expected to help / deal with it.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The force in question is North Wales.
  • curlyfairy
    Options
    I wouldnt waste your time,all the Policemen/women i know travel for nothing.Are you going to moan that they get 50% off at Dominos Pizza to?.
  • asandwhen
    Options
    13000 wrote: »
    The force in question is North Wales.

I dont know about them - you would need to check. But it wouldnt suprise me if he was allowed to do it.
  • System
    Options
    curlyfairy wrote: »
    I wouldnt waste your time,all the Policemen/women i know travel for nothing.Are you going to moan that they get 50% off at Dominos Pizza to?.

At the end of the day, they are supposed to be above reproach. They are basically pulling a fast one to obtain free travel to work? I have no problem with dominos discount, for that is a fully sanctioned, and dominos agreed discount. This person has no such agreement. They are abusing the rights bestowed on them for the public good.

I admit, I have no faith/trust in the police, but at the end of the day, fraud is fraud. There is no way he is on official business!
  • asandwhen
    Options
    13000 wrote: »
    At the end of the day, they are supposed to be above reproach. They are basically pulling a fast one to obtain free travel to work? I have no problem with dominos discount, for that is a fully sanctioned, and dominos agreed discount. This person has no such agreement. They are abusing the rights bestowed on them for the public good.

I admit, I have no faith/trust in the police, but at the end of the day, fraud is fraud. There is no way he is on official business!

Did you not read my post?
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    13000, if someone pulls a knife out on your train are you going to tackle them to protect the police officer ?
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • System
    Options
    asandwhen - yes, but it wasnt a "yes he is" or "no he isn't". It kind of fell into a grey area. I have no problems if it is an official perk of the job, but we are unsure at present, with this force, as to if it is or isn't.

Errata, highly unlikely, especially as he didn't pay the fare. So anything that police officers shouldn't get for free, just because of the job he does ? So should specials get it ?, what about CSOs (They aren't police, no matter how much they try and act like they are)

What about those people who do stand up for others. Do they expect to get free travel. Do they heck!

In summary, thanks for the reply. I have as much information as I think I am going to get from the thread. I shall just have to write to the Chief Constable, and CC virgin trains and see what comes of it. If Virgin say, yeah, its fine, I have no problems with that. Although i'd be interested in the Chief Constables response.
  • curlyfairy
    Options
    Get a life !!!!!!,they are 'always on duty',be it officially or not.Its one of the perks of a crappy job.

Quote.
    If Virgin say, yeah, its fine, I have no problems with that. Although i'd be interested in the Chief Constables response.

If Virgin do say yes what do you expect the CC to say?You arent making any sense.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure