Police travel - conning the train people.

Replies

• nearlyrichnearlyrich Forumite
    13.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Hung up my suit! Mortgage-free Glee!
    I know police offices round here get free travel on or off duty, also there is a long list of other companies who offer discounts to members of the Police federation. When I worked for a big corporate company our staff committee had negotiated a range of "perks" and discounts from various companies, it what happens in life.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • lou29lou29 Forumite
    90 Posts
    Totally agree with you A & C people should try a day in an officers shoes.
    And yes they do work 28 hr shifts that right my hubby has been in work for this long with no chance to wash and no time to eat.
  • Tozer wrote: »
    I don't think anyone disagrees if on duty....although there is always expenses?

But it has been quoted as a "perk". How does that stack with your post?

Expenses that they do not get to claim on as the Government has stopped just about everything apart from overtime, and even that has been stripped back. Yes, there are rules as to what Police Officers can claim and what they can't, and I don't know a Police Officer who would pay for transport when on Police duty knowing that they wouldn't get it back when they put a claim form in. Sometimes it's difficult enough just to get fed during a 15 hour shift as you have to show that you have been retained on duty and not able to obtain a meal in the normal way!

And God forbid should you forget a VAT receipt so that Police Forces can claim VAT back on money that the Officers have already been taxed on when they get their original wage, and then taxed again on the same money when they receive it back as expenses! So they never do get the true amount back in their pocket.
    "Life may not always be the party you wish for, but whilst here you may aswell dance"!!!
    Murphy's NMPC Memb No 239!
    Dippychick's De-clutter club Member No 6! - onto room no 2!
    My Avatar? Arnie and Casey, proud parents to Storm and Tsu born 19/01/2009!!! - both now in new homes and called Murron and Burger!
  • TozerTozer Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    lou29 wrote: »
    Its not a perk if me & Hubby catch the train together he will always pay. He does not abuse his authority, maybe some officers do, but he does not.quote]

Absolutely no issue then.
  • TozerTozer Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Expenses that they do not get to claim on as the Government has stopped just about everything apart from overtime, and even that has been stripped back. Yes, there are rules as to what Police Officers can claim and what they can't, and I don't know a Police Officer who would pay for transport when on Police duty knowing that they wouldn't get it back when they put a claim form in. Sometimes it's difficult enough just to get fed during a 15 hour shift as you have to show that you have been retained on duty and not able to obtain a meal in the normal way!

And God forbid should you forget a VAT receipt so that Police Forces can claim VAT back on money that the Officers have already been taxed on when they get their original wage, and then taxed again on the same money when they receive it back as expenses! So they never do get the true amount back in their pocket.

See above post. But the point about expenses sounds no different to anything I have known in the private sector.
  • Perks? 10% off in Millets (nearest for PO's in my area is 51 miles away)
    An Account with Slaters Menswear that is reserved for Police Officers only (nearest store for officers in my area is 51 miles away - hardly a perk!)
    Dominos Pizza (if there happens to be one in the area - nearest to my area is 75 miles)
    Subway (again nearest is about 80 miles)

As you can see, those who suffer most in the rural areas, who don't have public transport links, and can drive up to about 50 miles AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE just to get to work and then the same home again don't get to take advantage of these "perks". Never mind using a train for nothing!

ETA: Yes they can move house to be closer to their work, again at their own expense, but then what would happen when they get changed stations a couple of months later, back to where they were? Back to square one for those that have to travel with no public transport links at all!
    "Life may not always be the party you wish for, but whilst here you may aswell dance"!!!
    Murphy's NMPC Memb No 239!
    Dippychick's De-clutter club Member No 6! - onto room no 2!
    My Avatar? Arnie and Casey, proud parents to Storm and Tsu born 19/01/2009!!! - both now in new homes and called Murron and Burger!
  • EmzycalEmzycal Forumite
    301 Posts
    My husband works extremmley long hours, for a crap wage and with very little respect from the public.
    :mad:

Oh,like most people,you mean?
    How awful.
  • TozerTozer Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Totally agree with you A & C people should try a day in an officers shoes.
    And yes they do work 28 hr shifts that right my hubby has been in work for this long with no chance to wash and no time to eat.

Come on you can say this about lots of jobs... Doctors, RAF pilots, army, nurses, cancer research.........

Oh, and before you say, yes I have done one of the above.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Gin, gee-gees & groceries

This week's MSE Forum highlights

Team Blog

2for1 adult tickets to theme parks

Via selected £1-£3 Kellogg's promo packs

MSE Deals