PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February is 'use up' month

Comments

• rchddap1
    rchddap1 Posts: 5,926 Forumite
    I need to have a quick look around the cupboards myself to see what is there and what meals we can get out of it. The freezer isn't completely empty yet....but it won't be long before I need to do a shop. I want to do a bit shop online at Tesco...partly because its easier, but mainly because I'm saving the points for our usuall summer excursions with the girls.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have a half bag of polenta :( what shall I do with THAT! Don't even particularly like it. Every month is use up month round here, but the polenta slipped through the net.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I am going to try to use up the cosmetics etc in my bathroom as I have many on the go!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Sarahsaver wrote:
    I have a half bag of polenta :( what shall I do with THAT! Don't even particularly like it. Every month is use up month round here, but the polenta slipped through the net.

How about making corn bread i will look you out the recipe in a bit :o
  • Ingredients
    200g plain flour
    100g Palenta
    25g Sugar
    1.25 tsp Baking powder
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 pinch Bicarbonate of soda
    1 pinch Salt
    225g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
    250ml Belgian brown beer, or any brown beer
    2 bird's eye chillies, finely chopped
    2 eggs
    75ml vegetable oil

Method
    1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.

2. Sift the flour into a mixing bowl. Add the cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, onion powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt.

3. Beat together the Cheddar cheese, beer, chillies eggs and vegetable oil.

4. Add the Cheddar mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well.

5. Spoon the mixture into a greased and lined 500g quantity loaf tin and bake the cornbread for 1 hour, or until firm to the touch.
  • Fantastic!!

I'm still eating my Christmas chocolate so using up everything else will be good too.

:T :T
    How long til pay day? :eek:
    March Grocery Challenge - £69.54 / £300
  • misty
    misty Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    I recently moved house and was embarressed to pack 7 boxes of unopened body lotion/shower gel/scrub stuff. (I blame some of this on mag subscription gifts) On top of that I gave away a full box of unopened stuff and packed another couple of boxes of stuff that was opened.

The problem with eating up what you've got in is - I buy the stuff as your supposed to - not when I'm hungry - full of healthy fruit and veg but then later spend more on choccies/biscuits etc. I'm going to try this though as my outgoings have gone up but my incomings haven't.
  • HOLsale
    HOLsale Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Good idea - I had planned to use up everything in my freezer anyway as will be moving house in the near future (providing we sell this one *gulps*)

ahhh the joys of 'moving meals' :rotfl:

you'll get some really interesting combinations let me tell you, but hey, makes you more creative in the kitchen and you can laugh about it later

i think this is a brilliant idea so i'm up for the challenge!
    founder of Frugal Genius UK (Yahoo Groups)
  • HOLsale
    catowen wrote:
    Jan and Feb tend to be use up months, i always go shopping xmas eve and new years eve, loads of reduced bargains in Tescos (they have to sell as they are closed the day/s after) !

we do this too! i'm considering getting another freezer (they come up on freecycle a lot) and only use it for this time of year! we could spend £100 on reduced items and feed ourselves for months that way!
  • HOLsale
    Sarahsaver wrote:

make cornbread with it mmmm

just google cornbread (amish cornbread is the best) then replace the cornmeal with polenta, that's what i do

cornbread is best if it has some sugar in it and if you slice it into pie wedges when hot then slice each piece horizontally (a top and bottom half) and slather with butter, put it back together and eat it all up

mmmmmmmmmm great with chilli or just on it's own :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure