PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February is 'use up' month

Comments

• Rebob
    Rebob Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    A while ago I emptied all the sample shampoos into the bottle I was using. This got rid of all the little packets that need to be cut open when you are already in the shower.
    The best bargains are priceless!!!!!!!!!! :T :T :T
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    moggins wrote:
    What the hell do I use 2 kilo bags of sunflower seeds for and why did I buy them?
    Are they nut-free?
    If so send them to me!! see my thread on sunflower seeds ;)
    I put them in muffins and flapjacks,or use as a substitue for nuts.
  • LondonDiva
    LondonDiva Posts: 3,011 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Count me in!

I'm refusing to count the stuff in the cupboards as I'm too scared. I did stat, but had to stop when I got to double digits :eek:

it'll be so hard to keep it going, esp as I'm stocking up on the bodyform stuff at the same time :(
    "This is a forum - not a support group. We do not "owe" anyone unconditional acceptance of their opinions."
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,144 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    OMG
    I posted about the handwash and I really didn't expect to find much else but I've been round and I have

toothpaste
    2 adults opened
    2 kids opened

bubble bath
    3 opened
    4 unopened

shower gel
    2 opened
    1 unopened

deodorant
    3 opened
    5 unopened

shampoo
    1 opened
    1 unopened
    7 mini unopened

handwash
    4 opened
    7 mini guest soaps unopened

razor blades
    3 packs all half started on

washing powder
    1 opened large box
    i unopened packet of tablets

stain removers
    2 opened

furniture polish
    2 opened

multi-purpose cleaner
    2 opened

and in true old styler fashion

vinegar
    4 bottles all opened
    1 white malt
    1 brown malt
    1 white wine
    1 balsamic

I haven't got any flour anymore though cos I discovered it had weevils in it_pale_
  • Zed42
    Zed42 Posts: 929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If February is "use up" month ... does this mean I HAVE to eat all the ice-cream in the freezer ..... ;)
    GC - March 2024 -
  • Chipps
    Chipps Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This is a good idea (I mean the thread as a whole, not necessarily the ice-cream part of it!!!)
    I know there are opened bottles of various things in the bathroom (I have only just found this thread, so haven't been & counted yet)
    I have been filtering off any sachets of shampoo etc in the hopes that by the time we go on holiday there will be enough so we don't have to take any large bottles of anything.
    Also I have a cupboard in my bedroom where I have a stash of unopened shampoos, shower gels, body lotion etc from birthday & Christmas.
    And I know there are some containers in the freezer with those extra meals in - when I have made enough for 4 people & there have only been 3 of us, I put the extra portion in the freezer. Perhaps I can make some interesting combinations out of those!!!
  • HOLsale
    HOLsale Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Zed42 wrote:
    If February is "use up" month ... does this mean I HAVE to eat all the ice-cream in the freezer ..... ;)

yes, it's your civic and moral duty :p

however, if you find it too hard to face i can come over and eat it for you... the sacracfices we make for friends :rotfl:
    founder of Frugal Genius UK (Yahoo Groups)
  • HOLsale
    HOLsale Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Chipps wrote:
    And I know there are some containers in the freezer with those extra meals in - when I have made enough for 4 people & there have only been 3 of us, I put the extra portion in the freezer. Perhaps I can make some interesting combinations out of those!!!

we call our freezer 'siberia' because once something is banished to siberia it is rarely seen again :rotfl:

though having said that i finally went in and chucked everything i knew wouldn't get eaten and have only put in stuff we liked the first time around!

dh says we try to ease our conscience when we make a bad lot of something by sticking it in the freezer saying we'll eat it later.... yeah right!

:rotfl:
    founder of Frugal Genius UK (Yahoo Groups)
  • I was feeling quite pleased with myself about this until someone mentioned sun creams. I found loads. One has a price in dollars & I havnt been anywhere with dollars since the mid eighties. There is also postman pat sun gel for babies & both babies are now taller than me. Oh dear.
    Looking on the bright side though, my new freezer arrived last week & during the change over i found about a dozen lunch boxes which had been missing in action, where i frozen things and forgotten them & they had just got quietly iced in.

Bizzy
    Building an emergency fund and starting on the mortgage!
  • This thread is the funniest for ages - do we HAVE to be hoarders to be oldstylers?

Speaking from someone who saw Dove deo on 3 for 2 in Boots on Saturday and now has shedloads! The Sanctuary is also on 3 for 2 - except I forcibly restrained myself, realising eventually that I still have 3 Moisture Mist sprays from before Christmas when they were on 3 for 2 the last time! And Radox was on 3 for 2 as well...oh dear!

Wouldn't it be great to have some sort of a calendar that showed when things were due to come on offer? The Sanctuary and Radox seem to come around about every 6 months or so, and it would be great to be able to restrain myself to buying only 6 months supply!

I suppose it's a bit anti-moneysaving at the extreme - when I think of how much interest I would be earning on the capital "tied up" in toiletries and beauty products, not to mention food!

Ellie
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport