PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February is 'use up' month

Options

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MrsB wrote:
    It's a big bottle of red tesco's own 'rejuvenate' stuff. I'm sure it'll be fine, and I'm just being picky, but I LOVE my bath and part of that is having really lovely stuff to put in it. I have to say though - I get 90% of my bubble bath stuff for birthday and christmas. Just this lot doesnt seem to have lasted very long!! :o
    hmm then I'd say if it can be recycled elsewhere that is more moneysaving than opening it up, deciding you don't like it and, shoving it to one side,or throwing it.
    Since you love your bath and the products use your opened stuff first . Then decide once you're at the end of this whether you should use the tesco bottle or buy yourself some new and donate the tesco one to somewhere else.

Anyone any ideas how to use my 4 bottles of vinegar up:D
  • MrsB_2
    MrsB_2 Posts: 659 Forumite
    Options
    Spendless wrote:
    Anyone any ideas how to use my 4 bottles of vinegar up:D

Like you need to ask that on OS!!! :rotfl:

Do I assume you've already got bottles mixed up with vinegar / water / bicarb solutions for cleaning and for fabric conditioner??
    I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are – Milton Berle
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MrsB wrote:
    Like you need to ask that on OS!!! :rotfl:

Do I assume you've already got bottles mixed up with vinegar / water / bicarb solutions for cleaning and for fabric conditioner??
    yep. It's the balsamic and white wine vinegar I'm struggling with. We discovered little boy had 'creatures' in his hair yesterday and I remembered that vinegar was an old fashioned remedy but not actually what for. Another member and my gran has said it destroys the eggs so both kids are going to start having a weekly vinegar rinse :D but don't know which type to use.
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    White wine vinegar for the little crawly ones, works wonders, I've used it on my DD and it disolves the glue which attaches the eggs to the hair shaft too, so it gets rid of all the nasty little nit cases which are the bits that usually show in the hair.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • Rebob
    Rebob Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Help!! :eek:

My 'use everything up and declutter' is going wrong. :( I'm at my mum's at the moment and have just cleared out the bathroom cupboard under the sink. I now have in a bag to take home (cos she doesn't use these particular items) 3 large tubes of Colgate and 5 assorted large bottles of shampoo, all unopened. I haven't to forget that I'm to take the large pack of smoked salmon out of her freezer and relocate it to mine when I go and erm,.......her £100+ pressure cooker has found a space in my boot too.

(However, on the bright side, my house may be falling down with the amount of stuff in it, but this lot has cost me...... zilch :D:D)

QUOTE]

This happens to me too!!!!

I even posses a Greens Almond Slice Mix that is now 25 years old!!!!!! Mum bought it when we got our first house after she left her hubby. It has never been opened and she presented it to me when I left home as it has brought her luck with each house move(3) and has since moved to four houses with me!!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    The best bargains are priceless!!!!!!!!!! :T :T :T
  • thriftmonster
    Options
    Well, this thread has inspired me to stocktake the freezers and larder and I am determined to have a serious use up - which will probably take till Easter!!
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I laughed with my mum today as I was loading up the car. I asked her what else she had that I could 'recycle' for her next time I go :D
  • shetitasatic
    Options
    How are we all doing with the 'using up'? -how many empty bottles have you managed to get rid of? My Bedside chest now has ONE bottle of body lotion not 5 different tacky half used ones.

If you've been clearing out cupboards etc another thread reminded me that there are printable inventories for freezer, pantry etc on:

http://organizedhome.com/index.html

(sorry can't do a link!)
  • couteaux
    couteaux Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Shetitasastic,

Going well so far but still tons to use up! I have used up some food that was nearing its BB date. Slowly but surely working my way through the freezer and overflowing cupboards. I haven't bought anything but milk and potatoes (reduced) this week.

On Sunday I wrote up everything I had in stock, freezer, cupboards and fridge and made meal plans from it. Ticking things off as I use them up. Feel really in charge of it all. Not in a contorl freak kinda way ;) just really pleased that I wont be wasting loads of food!

I am still working through the cosmetics, nothing finished as yet, but I haven't opened anything new (and no plans to buy new stuff for months!) I am finishing all the bottles that are closest to being empty but it will still take a while I think.

I am really enjoying this challenge. :D
    October shopping challenge - £300
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well, I'm trying to find the back of my freezer, but as I'm OS in other ways big style this week, I seem to be cooking lots whilst the oven is on and re-filling the freezer :confused: This week I have bagged up 4 portions of liver and bacon, 7 large portions of veggie lasagne, 2 of meat lasagne, goodness knows how much leek and spud soup and today I have made extra a huge cottage pie and 2 large fish pies. I have managed to use up those last few bits of frozen veg from assorted bags, the spicy wedges, fish-fingers, a part pack of fish fillets and most of a pack of prawns. Hmmm, the ice cream has taken a hammering this week too, but I expect that's due to small boys not my desire to empty the freezer.

Oh, and nearly all my bread rolls are gone so I can get back to using the BM next week. :D I have lots of stock needing using - best finish the soup that's in there then make another vat-full!

Bathroom - finished 1 bottle of bubble-bath and at the end of a conditioner, nearly at the end of another. However, cabinets are full to busting again - thanks mum :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure