PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• *BigBird*
    *BigBird* Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    Spent just over £90 of my £250 budget so far, which includes the organic meat box I picked up on Thursday. The organic butcher were all out of gammon joints when I called in, however a friend has told me about a free range pig farm which has it's own farm shop not too far from where I work, so I may pop over there one lunchtime to get something for OH's sandwiches.

lilmoi I think a monthly meat box is just a box containing a selection of meat that gets delivered to you once a month, kinda like a veg box.

Made a weetabix cake for the first time yesterday - yum! In-laws-to-be came round earlier and were suitably impressed when they tried it :D Was going to make twinks too but didn't have enough marg, I'll have to get some tomorrow when I pop to Mr T. Being stuck at home because of the snow has been a bit of a pain, but great for the NSDs!
    You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you change the world, the world will change.
  • JayneC
    JayneC Posts: 912 Forumite
    Hi all,

NSD for me today:D

Recycled last weeks roast chicken and made chicken pie, lol. Enough for 2 pies so put the extra in freezer, have cooked the carcass an will make chickn and leek soup later. Also made potato and leek soup, so that'll keep me going for lunches for a while ;)
    Made jam tarts with the leftover pastry and apple and banana crumble, but did actually intend to do a bit more baking! Ah well I'll do a jelly an rice pudding in the week cos they're real easy.
    Need to do an inventory so can meal plan for rest of week, determined to buy only milk this week.

Hope everyone's ok,

Jayne x
    Official DFW nerd - 282 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts'
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z member # 56
  • egon
    egon Posts: 439 Forumite
    I haven't much time to be on here. But I thought I have a quick read and update my signature. So far we spend £93.96. It is a bit more then I would of liked so far, but hey, see how it goes.

I am feeling, there aren't many offers about at the moment. At least not on the stuff we usually buy. I only do a Tesco delivery once a month. Apart from that, we stock up in Lidl and Morrisons, oh and in Waitrose (all the offer and whoopsies we can find!)

I found, Lidl has gone up by quiet a lot lately. I find better offers/ prices in Morrisons.

Better off to change signature.

Egon
    I wish Germany had a website like moneysavingexpert!
  • *BigBird* wrote: »
    Spent just over £90 of my £250 budget so far, which includes the organic meat box I picked up on Thursday. The organic butcher were all out of gammon joints when I called in, however a friend has told me about a free range pig farm which has it's own farm shop not too far from where I work, so I may pop over there one lunchtime to get something for OH's sandwiches.

lilmoi I think a monthly meat box is just a box containing a selection of meat that gets delivered to you once a month, kinda like a veg box.

Made a weetabix cake for the first time yesterday - yum! In-laws-to-be came round earlier and were suitably impressed when they tried it :D Was going to make twinks too but didn't have enough marg, I'll have to get some tomorrow when I pop to Mr T. Being stuck at home because of the snow has been a bit of a pain, but great for the NSDs!

Have you time to tell how? I bought a box of 48 own brand weetabix on special offer for £1.50 at Asda's on Friday and have been wondering what to do with them
  • TheBees
    TheBees Posts: 601 Forumite
    Went to MrT but gave up on the food shop as it was SO busy. Just couldn't move in the aisles presumably because of the snow the previous day. :mad: So I went to MrS instead which seemed a lot less hectic. Managed to keep under my £58 weekly spend budget but I will need some fruit from the F&V shop tomorrow.

Also popped in Makro and got a 5litre bottle of Bold 2 in 1 for £9 including vat. This should last us a couple months - even longer if we use less than the recommended amount per wash.

I thought our dear old dishwasher was on it's way out yesterday when it smelt of burning. Turned out it was a wooden spoon wedged on the element! 12 years for a dishwasher is pretty good isn't it - it's probably not the most economical but I don't want to replace it until it packs up.

Had a free lunch out today at my aunties which was lovely so that's saved a meal for later in the week. :j
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off £9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target £500
  • Jane2112
    Jane2112 Posts: 239 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just pooped in to register for my usual £250 for Feb. Underspent by just over £20 last month :)
    Jane 2112
  • *BigBird*
    *BigBird* Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    Miss-spent - weetabix cake is here It's sooooo easy to make, and tastes gorgeous :D
    You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you change the world, the world will change.
  • elizabunny
    elizabunny Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    Evening All.
    A NSD for me today -thank goodness.

However, 4 extra mouths to feed for Sunday Dinner (Unexpected!) DS1 & OH, DS2 & Friend. Thank goodness I bought a large piece of brisket yesterday. I had paid only £5 for this and cooked it in the slo-cooker today as a pot roast. which we had with added veggies from the slo-cooking, plus HM Roasties, HM Yorkshire Puds and Cabbage. We also had HM lentil Soup for starters and I defrosted a large HM crumble for dessert. Plenty of everything for 6 and everyone seemed full. The brisket was so lovely and tender and I will definately buy this again from my butcher.

I will have to fiddle with my meal planning now though, as the brisket would have done DH and me for 3 days. I'm pleased I didn't feel the urge to rush out and buy any extras for today, but I think it's even more likely that I will bust the budget this month. I will won't let this worry me too much though and have decided to try and keep going and keep any 'bust' as low as possible. Normally by the end of 2 months I would have gone over my budget by about £80-£120. So anything less than this is going to be a bonus for me.

Well done everyone -keep goingicon7.gif
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022 :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
  • Spent almost half of my budget in a week but cupboards and freezer are full, not that stops me from spending, I just can't seem to help myself, that said I am still going to try to come in under budget this month.
    Be kinder than necessary because we do not know the battles that someone else may face

A103, A210, U211, EA300, Y163, AA316, DSE141, A300 = BA (Hons):T
    A815 MA (current)
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Miss-spent wrote: »
    Have you time to tell how? I bought a box of 48 own brand weetabix on special offer for £1.50 at Asda's on Friday and have been wondering what to do with them

you have the link now, but its also in the recipe index on the front of this thread ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family